Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

JaneG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

So I took my 1Dx out for its first run on a environmental family photoshoot in Cambridge today, amazed at how good it was at getting the focus dead on and I loved the high ISO capability.

Half way through... much to my dismay the 24-105 stopped working. The error 01 happened and said that there was a connection error and to clean the contacts..

I was left with my 85L for the entire shoot.

When I got back home I tried the 24-105 on my old body of the 1Ds Mark III (4 years old).. no problem, worked perfectly. I have tried all my other lenses on the new body and they work. fine

Do you think that the lens contacts have worn to fit the old body in some way?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jane

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

Clean the contacts on the lens again.... I had the same issue with my 1d4 a while back. Don't know why.... it just happened... Cleaned everything up... haven't had the issue again...

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:52 PM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

Just trying the lens again it failed.. then another go and its working again.. aghhh

I need to be sure I can rely on it.. I don't want this to happen again.

What should I clean the contacts with?

Jane

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:58 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

I had a similar issue, but with my 7d and tokina a 12-24. The tokina would work fine on my 20d. I sent the lens to tokina and they said the aperture blades were sticking. It's fine now.

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:15 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

Try twisting (rotating) the lens in that bit of space between the lock and stop. That little MM of play in there stopped one of my Nikons until I learned this trick.

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:28 PM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

I think its time to send the lens off for a service..

It was my first L lens. 6 years ago.

I can't bear to send off the 1dX with it.. only just got it

Jane

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

JaneG wrote:
So I took my 1Dx out for its first run on a environmental family photoshoot in Cambridge today, amazed at how good it was at getting the focus dead on and I loved the high ISO capability.

Half way through... much to my dismay the 24-105 stopped working. The error 01 happened and said that there was a connection error and to clean the contacts..

I was left with my 85L for the entire shoot.

When I got back home I tried the 24-105 on my old body of the 1Ds Mark III (4 years old).. no problem, worked perfectly. I have
...Show more

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

Obviously you should go buy a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II to use while your 24-105 is out being looked at. And once you use that a little, you will have less worry of getting your 24-105 back quickly, because you may not need to use it any longer.

On a more serious note, it seems like you should proceed like you are thinking, and start with sending the lens in, to see how that works out, before considering sending off the 1DX. In the mean time, enjoy your new camera. After 3 months I still find it quite lovely to use, and am very glad I skipped the 5D3, and waited and stretched a lot to get a 1DX.

My trusty 24-105 is just 7 years old if I remember right, and I got it when they first came out. It has been through a lot, and still works fine. But I really am enjoying the new 24-70 II that I got, with nice image quality and that extra stop of light gathering, which not only helps your exposure in low light, but helps you see better through the viewfinder in low light, and helps give better and more accurate auto focus than an f4 lens.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:06 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

Try some other lenses with you camera, if they work, the problem is probably in your 24-105. It still might be the contacts, just based on the fact that it is working again. Try cleaning the contacts with a rough cloth and some alcohol and you may be good to go for another 6 years.
A Scotch Brite pad carefully applied might be hehlpful as well. I wouldn't get and rougher than that.
Best wishes.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:12 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

I'd try to carefully use a pink eraser on the contacts on the back of the lens so they appear shiny and new and give it another try before calling Canon.

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:30 AM
jrsforums
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

My 24-105 had similar problem. Mine was on 5d3. other lenses worked fine.

Google search showed others, not many, with similar problem. Apparently a wire gets frayed or something inside the lens causing problem.

A friend of mine just had he same thing with a 17-85.

Send it to Canon for service.

Hope you are CPS level 2 or 3 to get discount. I believe the "bench charge" is about $300.

John

Edit....just retread OP note....see on old camera if you were using te same as on new....on my 24-105, the problem was dependent on certain aperture and focal length combos....but got progressively worse.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:19 PM
JaneG
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New 1Dx but now old L lens won't work..

its gone to canon today.. CPS membership is gold, so I'm promised a three day repair
fingers crossed not too expensive

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password