Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       end
  

Archive 2012 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.
  
 
ssnap
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


The AF isn't 7D great it's not the worst. I wish Fuji had given this camera a weather sealed body and OM-D AF but it is what it is. I'm loving this camera for the Image Quality and high iso capability. I think they are on a fantastic path with their x-mount lenses. My point, lets take photos and not argue over names or shortcomings. Bottom line, if AF is a top priority then get a different camera. Otherwise it's a great camera. My experience, I can work with it and get my photos.




Oct 26, 2012 at 01:05 AM
rattymouse
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


carstenw wrote:
All the high-end ones, not the mid-range cameras. S1 Pro, S2 Pro, S3 Pro, S5 Pro, X-Pro 1.


The S Pro series of SLR's *WERE* pro cameras. They dominated the wedding market back in the day. Many, many wedding pro's swore by the dynamic range of the old Fuji SLR's.



Oct 26, 2012 at 01:15 AM
anthonygh
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


TSY87 wrote:
I had the xpro1 for a short time when it came out... As expected, the iq was amazing but I couldnt justify the price to keep it.

The xe-1 caught my eye since I mostly used the EVF, however now that sony has a FF point and shoot... I will be waiting to see if they come out with a FF nex.



Not being personal but this post sums something up for me.....what percentage of people on here are photographers and what are gear fanatics?

I have been asked to do an exhibition based on a sample portfolio of prints done with a Canon G10...and I don't think I have exploited the full potential of that camera.....or my G111 1.7 QL that I take with me in the same bag along with PanF film



Oct 26, 2012 at 01:44 AM
ssnap
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


anthonygh wrote:
Not being personal but this post sums something up for me.....what percentage of people on here are photographers and what are gear fanatics?

I have been asked to do an exhibition based on a sample portfolio of prints done with a Canon G10...and I don't think I have exploited the full potential of that camera.....or my G111 1.7 QL that I take with me in the same bag along with PanF film

Grats man. Remember gear fanatics help fuel innovation and the money they spend drives R&D on new technology. I am a gear fanatic but also love taking photos and chronicling my family through the years. Again, I think it's awesome that your work will be on exhibition. I've never had my work on exhibition.



Oct 26, 2012 at 02:10 AM
Jorgen Udvang
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


carstenw wrote:
All the high-end ones, not the mid-range cameras. S1 Pro, S2 Pro, S3 Pro, S5 Pro, X-Pro 1.


Their medium format cameras also have "Pro" in their names.

I don't understand why you say that the X-Pro 1 is not professional. The image quality is second to none, and in situation where fast AF is not important, that's what counts. I seriously consider switching to Fuji for most non-sports assignments (I used the S3 and S5 professionally earlier).



Oct 27, 2012 at 01:40 AM
Spyro P.
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


I found the AF on the rolleiflex not particularly fast either


Oct 27, 2012 at 06:55 AM
justruss
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


Well, I shoot professionally (editorial/feature), and I've been using a 5Dmk2 for the last few years. Which, hilariously enough, gets all kinds of heat for bad AF. I expect my XE-1 (which is on the damn way I hope) will produce images that run in high circulation national/international publications in the coming 3-6 months.

Obviously: Sports, subject tracking, and tele won't be where I use the XE.

But then, I've had a GoPro shot run in a million+ circulation pub, and an Oly (or was it Tamron?) WA MF shot run in an even larger circulation magazine.

The right tools for the right purposes. The photographer making the image. That's what counts. There have been Magnum photographers who shot with mediocre, small sensor, digital P&S cameras. And plenty who shoot for Magnum and VII with all sorts of manual focus gear (in addition to everything else), and not just M9s and MPs.

And put me in with the folks who are happy there are photo/gear enthusiasts. There are nowhere near enough pros to sustain the entire market.



Oct 27, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Jeremy Reitman
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


Honestly I love the autofocus on my X-pro1 compared to the 5DMark2. I was always having to rely on the center autofocus point and then focus and recompose. Don't have to do that with the Xpro. I think the images it produces are just wonderful...and I don't even have to convert from raw...I can rely on the outstanding jpgs.


Oct 27, 2012 at 01:59 PM
canonfan93
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


ssnap wrote:
These are all JPEG images with increased contrast in PS. I also did the BW conversion in PS (with the JPEG) but have usually done BW conversions in camera (with the RAW file).

I shoot raw + jpeg mainly as insurance but find that I'm very pleased with the JPEG output of this camera. I do the same thing on my 7D as well.

I do my RAW workflow through LR (currently 4.2) and have processed a couple of files from the Fuji. They seem to process fine for me, but maybe I'm missing something? I'm happy enough with the
...Show more

Outstanding photos from your Xpro. Mine just arrived this week with the 35mm lens, and I am still learning how to set for optimal settings in jpeg. When you shoot in Jpeg, do you leave the settings e.g. sharpness at the default settings? What film simulation settings did you use to shoot your children? Skin tones are excellent. And you are right, I test shot a few in RAW last night and processed through LR and these outputs seem good enough for me. Then again I am not a pro...
Now I am trying to decide what to do with my other gears



Oct 27, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Vern Dewit
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


Jeremy Reitman wrote:
Honestly I love the autofocus on my X-pro1 compared to the 5DMark2. I was always having to rely on the center autofocus point and then focus and recompose. Don't have to do that with the Xpro. I think the images it produces are just wonderful...and I don't even have to convert from raw...I can rely on the outstanding jpgs.


That's what I love about it too. The OOC jpg's are awesome. I know that it's not considered 'pro' but it suits my needs just fine. These are from last winter - we have snow but not this much yet!

18mm:






60mm:






18mm:







Oct 27, 2012 at 03:07 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


Jorgen Udvang wrote:
I don't understand why you say that the X-Pro 1 is not professional. The image quality is second to none, and in situation where fast AF is not important, that's what counts. I seriously consider switching to Fuji for most non-sports assignments (I used the S3 and S5 professionally earlier).


Everyone has their own definition, but this one doesn't fit mine. Neither do very many cameras except Nikon D1/2/3/4, Canon 1D-series, Hasselblad H4D/H5D etc., and so on. These cameras are made for the working pro. In the case of the Canons and Nikons these are true workhorses, practically indestructible, completely flexible for every job, weather proof (you can drop them in the ocean, pick them up again quickly and keep shooting, and so on. The Hasselblad (and Leaf/Phase One/Leica S) is made for one thing only, studio, but it is unbeatable. Like a Cheetah, every single part of these cameras is made for getting the best results in one scenario only.

All other cameras are in my opinion not pro cameras. That doesn't mean that they take worse photos, nor that they fall apart with a little rough use, just that they don't have this razor-aim, and they do have many more quality/cost compromises. This includes Leica M, X-Pro, and anything else you can think of. I even think of the D800 and D800E as being in this category. They approach the pro models, but owning a D3, they are clearly not in the same class.

Note that I do not define a pro camera according to who uses it. That would be silly. Some pros use Lomo cameras or iPhones, ferchrissake.

All in my opinion.



Oct 27, 2012 at 03:26 PM
ssnap
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


At the end of the day I'm happy with my images. We can all agree that this is our goal. The ergonomics of this camera and the output are both very pleasing to me. People have created breathtaking images with all sorts of cameras. At the end of the day its finding a camera that you can easily handle to get your desired results. I like my x-pro 1 and 7D. They both serve a different purpose.


Oct 27, 2012 at 05:16 PM
ssnap
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


canonfan93 wrote:
Outstanding photos from your Xpro. Mine just arrived this week with the 35mm lens, and I am still learning how to set for optimal settings in jpeg. When you shoot in Jpeg, do you leave the settings e.g. sharpness at the default settings? What film simulation settings did you use to shoot your children? Skin tones are excellent. And you are right, I test shot a few in RAW last night and processed through LR and these outputs seem good enough for me. Then again I am not a pro...
Now I am trying to decide what to do with my
...Show more

I haven't played around with changing the default setting yet. I have taken RAW images and applied film simulation, mainly Velvia and Monochrome. Since I shoot RAW+JPEG it's easy to do in camera RAW conversions to try out different film simulations. I like it.



Oct 27, 2012 at 06:58 PM
rasterdogs
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


smcphotos wrote:
Did you shoot these in RAW or jpeg? I use LR and this issue is my primary concern in selling my canon 7D for an olympus OMD vs Fuji.


IMO far too much is made of the Adobe RAW conversions quality. I've been doing a lot of comparisons of my RAF files and OOC jpeg in LR4.2 and only very rarely do I encounter what has been called the 'watercolor (WC) effect'.

The image quality, user interface, excellent lenses, and compact size and minimum weight, have driven my Canon DSLR kit into mothballs.

I'm finding the X-pro1 to be great fun to use.





Oct 28, 2012 at 02:58 PM
canonfan93
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


rasterdogs wrote:
IMO far too much is made of the Adobe RAW conversions quality. I've been doing a lot of comparisons of my RAF files and OOC jpeg in LR4.2 and only very rarely do I encounter what has been called the 'watercolor (WC) effect'.

The image quality, user interface, excellent lenses, and compact size and minimum weight, have driven my Canon DSLR kit into mothballs.

I'm finding the X-pro1 to be great fun to use.


I have not noticed a significant degree of the watercolor problem with a few RAW shoots. But then again I have mostly shot OOC Jpegs. One of the reasons for me to get the Fuji is to take advantage of the excellent Jpeg quality as described by others, so therefore to cut down on the amount of time spending with LR4. To me it is a very practical camera: Small enough to be carried anywhere, excellent Jpeg quality, and the ability to change lenses. On the other hand, it truly does not operate as a my Canon so there is some readjustment in the thinking process. AF is certainly IMO and subjectively not the fastest. But then again I am already used to my 5Ds which are not the fastest either.



Oct 28, 2012 at 09:51 PM
rasterdogs
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


canonfan93 wrote:
I have not noticed a significant degree of the watercolor problem with a few RAW shoots. But then again I have mostly shot OOC Jpegs. One of the reasons for me to get the Fuji is to take advantage of the excellent Jpeg quality as described by others, so therefore to cut down on the amount of time spending with LR4. To me it is a very practical camera: Small enough to be carried anywhere, excellent Jpeg quality, and the ability to change lenses. On the other hand, it truly does not operate as a my Canon so there is
...Show more

I continue to be impressed by the OOC jpegs. I just finished editing and processing photos I made today.
Often I am pressed to better the jpegs when I do raw conversions. I agree with your practical camera comment.
After years with film and digital SLR's I'm surprised by how much I enjoy the X-pro1.
-rasterdogs



Oct 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM
douglasf13
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


Jorgen Udvang wrote:
The image quality is second to none...


I would say that is a stretch, unless we're maybe only talking about high ISO shooting. At low ISO, X-trans is second to many. Either way, it's a pretty cool camera.



Oct 29, 2012 at 04:27 PM
ssnap
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


An update, I sold all of my Canon equipment this weekend. I just haven't used it since I got the X-Pro 1. I did use it for video during Christmas but that's only because the NEX-5N had a dead battery and I used my X-Pro 1 for all the photos. So long 7D, you will be missed...but only for sentimental reasons

I mentioned this in another thread, but I pre-ordered the X100s. I'm really liking Fuji's product line. If I was a pro then I'd have a DSLR without question, but I'm not. Photography is simply a serious hobby for me. However, my wife is letting me keep the money aside in case I decide to start my own side business. At least the money is there for an emergency or if I decide to get back into paid work.



Jan 09, 2013 at 04:01 AM
ssnap
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


May as well throw in a photo


Seth_Comicstip-jpg by snappshotk1000, on Flickr

or two...


DSCF7392 by snappshotk1000, on Flickr



Jan 09, 2013 at 04:03 AM
esanchez
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.


Those shooting JPG you mind posting your camera settings...


Jan 09, 2013 at 04:32 AM
1       2      
3
       4       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password