Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

ssnap
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Monday I picked up an X-Pro 1 and within a couple of days I started to question my decision. The AF performance was really a concern, but the image quality is nothing short of amazing. Tonight we went to the Zoo and I debated between taking my 7D and the X-Pro 1. I finally decided that I needed to put the X-Pro through it's paces to either confirm my fears or to feel more confident in my decision. I must say that I walked away feeling extremely confident in my decision. I love this camera and was able to simply have a great time with my family while capturing some amazing photos. I didn't need a flash and shot up to ISO 6400 without issue. There were a couple of mis-focuses issues but nothing of concern. The autofocus was not an issue, it's as simple as that. What's a post without photos, enjoy.

DSCF6335 by snappshotk1000, on Flickr

DSCF6390 by snappshotk1000, on Flickr

DSCF6488 by snappshotk1000, on Flickr

DSCF6402 by snappshotk1000, on Flickr

DSCF6648 by snappshotk1000, on Flickr

DSCF6596 by snappshotk1000, on Flickr

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:27 AM
Tri Tran
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

some wonderful shots, love it.

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:32 AM
VladiD
• • •
p.1 #3 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

The Xpro is indeed exceptional. Make sure you update it to the latest firmware, as it has brought a lot of improvements.

Personally I can't wait for the new XF 14mm f/2.8 R to be available.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:37 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #4 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Yes the X-Pro1 is great. I bought the X-E1 and I'm also loving the IQ.

Oct 21, 2012 at 09:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Yep, you're probably nuts. Then again, so am I.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM
ssnap
• •
p.1 #6 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

The first thing I did (after the battery charged) was upgrade the firmware for both the body and lens. I'm thinking that, in addition to my 35mm 1.4, I'll pick up the following:

14mm f2.8 (Christmas?)
56mm f1.4 (sometime 2013)
23mm f1.4 (sometime 2013)

The last two are according to the roadmap I found online, but if the 23mm fails to exist then I'd go for the 18mm. The 35mm will cover the majority of my shooting style so I can be patient. This truly is an amazing system.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Fuji had working prototypes of the 23 and 56 at Photokina and announced they will be available for next year, so I don't think you have any worries. I think the kit you plan sounds excellent.

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:32 PM
ssnap
• •
p.1 #8 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Steve Spencer wrote:
Fuji had working prototypes of the 23 and 56 at Photokina and announced they will be available for next year, so I don't think you have any worries. I think the kit you plan sounds excellent.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:48 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #9 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

I completely agree. Hadn't used mine in the past few months due to other priorities. Had not updated the firmware for quite some time and noticed yesterday was having real issues getting some candids. Downloaded the new firmware for the body, 35 and 60 and what a huge difference. I think there would be many less haters if Fuji actually did whatever they need to do for better raw conversions. Many don't like being limited to jpg.

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM
smcphotos
• • •
p.1 #10 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Did you shoot these in RAW or jpeg? I use LR and this issue is my primary concern in selling my canon 7D for an olympus OMD vs Fuji.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ssnap
• •
p.1 #11 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

smcphotos wrote:
Did you shoot these in RAW or jpeg? I use LR and this issue is my primary concern in selling my canon 7D for an olympus OMD vs Fuji.

These are all JPEG images with increased contrast in PS. I also did the BW conversion in PS (with the JPEG) but have usually done BW conversions in camera (with the RAW file).

I shoot raw + jpeg mainly as insurance but find that I'm very pleased with the JPEG output of this camera. I do the same thing on my 7D as well.

I do my RAW workflow through LR (currently 4.2) and have processed a couple of files from the Fuji. They seem to process fine for me, but maybe I'm missing something? I'm happy enough with the JPEG's that I'm not too worried about it.

I actually picked up a 5D Mark II the week before getting this but returned it for the X-Pro 1. This adds credence to the posts title, I must be nuts. I've dreamed of going full frame for years and it was great. However it felt backwards and wasn't as rewarding as I had hoped. I really do enjoy shooting with the X-Pro 1 and find it easy to carry around. The 7D, X-Pro1, and OM-D are all different cameras for different styles of shooting. I love shooting with fast primes and Fuji has done a great job providing this type of experience. The AF may not measure up to par but it's strengths are realized by it's forgiving high ISO capabilities and spectacular images. Last night I set my shutter to 1/125 starting out, kept my aperture between 1.4 and 2.8 letting auto ISO work it's magic. When the sun was completely down I stayed at 1/60 second and in the f1.4 - 2.0 range.

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #12 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

The lens roadmap is really exciting and one of the reasons why I chose Fuji. The 23/1.4 will be a must buy lens for me and it's great that there are also Zeiss lenses coming.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

those are some elaborate costumes

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #14 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

the 4th one is a classic

From looking at the roadmap personally I cant wait for the 27/2.8, I've really missed the 40mm field of view ever since I sold my CLE+Rokkor, it is the "perfect focal length". And I wouldnt mind making the camera jacket-pockeable. I tried to fill the gap with the CV28/2.8 but the corners didnt agree with the sensor and the kit wasnt even small enough after adding the M->X adapter. F2.8 doesnt bother me, the sensor has plenty of firepower in the ISO department to keep my shutter speeds up.

The cherry on the top would be distance markings on the lens but I have a feeling I'll buy it even without

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:38 AM
ssnap
• •
p.1 #15 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

I have the Canon pancake and wonder why we don't have more? They are genius! I'll probably get that one too.

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:44 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

ssnap wrote:
I have the Canon pancake and wonder why we don't have more?

because it's the age of bokeh I think
pancakes are generally slow.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:43 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #17 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Spyro P wrote:

I've really missed the 40mm field of view ever since I sold my CLE+Rokkor, it is the "perfect focal length".

Hallejulah, brother (my fave on 4/3rds is the 20/1.7).

Waiting for my X-E1 to arrive...

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #18 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Excellent photos. Great to see Fuji following up with a great firmware fix for this camera. I owned the X100 prior to any firmware fixes and sold it within a few weeks. Should have kept it and waited for the firmware update.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:43 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #19 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

Yup. Waiting for my XE-1...

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:39 AM
ssnap
• •
p.1 #20 · X-Pro 1 - I must be nuts but...I LOVE this camera.

I thought about waiting for the x-e1, but thought I'd like the optical view finder. I use the display more than anything. Now I wonder if I should have saved $300. I'm still happy as can be so no worries.

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:53 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password