Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Will Canon let us update *lens* FW using 1DX?

Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Will Canon let us update *lens* FW using 1DX?

When I updated the 1DX firmware to the current version, I noticed the option to update camera FW or lens FW. I have a 300/2.8 L II, for which Canon issued a "recall" a while back so they could update FW affecting AF. I've held off on shipping the lens to them, and wonder now if anyone can offer any information - or even semi-plausible speculation - about whether they are likely to make it possible for us to update the new teles ourselves. Obviously the initial decision was that only Canon service centers could do that, but I wonder if it is because some physical adjustment has to be done at the same time as reprogramming, or simply that some camera bodies cannot perform the update (which the 1DX possibly can).

So, any thoughts or info?

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:17 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Will Canon let us update *lens* FW using 1DX?

1dx and 5d3 have already been used to update the 40/2.8 STM firmware.

That they havnt offered the same for the mkII supers probably suggests they need sending in.

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:27 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Will Canon let us update *lens* FW using 1DX?

Rats, that's what I suspected. It would be nice if they offered even a minimal explanation of what is involved that prevents a DIY update.

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:31 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Will Canon let us update *lens* FW using 1DX?

i think the T4i could also be use to update the 40stm firmware. The superteles are a lot more complicated...maybe canon feels the risk of something going wrong is too high. A lot of people thought their 40s got bricked by the update-went-wrong (turns out, the didn't. See battery info glitch) . Imagine how scary that would be i it happened to a $4k plus lens!

-Brian

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password