FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18       end

Archive 2012 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

LightShow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I was wondering if the 90 would fit in the Rokkor 85/1.7 helicoid.

Jan 28, 2017 at 08:18 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

LightShow wrote:
I was wondering if the 90 would fit in the Rokkor 85/1.7 helicoid.

probably, the 85 has twice the diameter though - it'd probably triple the weight. plus the 85 costs twice as much.

Jan 28, 2017 at 04:09 PM
jlehet
• •
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Not sure if this is the right topic, or if I should start a new one. I'll try here first:

I'm looking for advice: I just broke my Zuiko 90/2, I think by being clumsy trying out new extension tubes I just got on EBay. I think two of the tube/rings were stuck together as I put them on, and I thought it was a single thing. Anyway, the impact is that the aperture won't open up when it's on the adapter, and the aperture ring is sticky at the f16/22 end of the range. With the adapter on, the aperture stays closed up tight. If I take it off the adapter, the aperture opens. (The adapter works with my other Zuiko lenses -- I tried that).

If I activate the lever on the back of the lens with the lens off the camera, the aperture opens and closes beautifully and smoothly. It's just the ring that is sticky, or the interface of the ring and some other mechanism I guess. Another symptom seems to be that the button that is connected to the aperture mechanism (of the two silver buttons that depress to attach/detach the lens, one of them is just a latch, and the other is connected to the aperture mechanism) -- this one aperture button seems to stick out farther than I remember, though I can't see why that would be the case. That button, on other Zuikos, will close the aperture to the setting on the ring. On my 90/2, pressing that button closes the aperture all the way.

I took the silver flange off the back of the lens and looked at the mechanism inside of that (which has the silver latch buttons in it). I don't have another one to compare, but it seems perfect. Even with that off the aperture ring doesn't want to turn all the way. I've spent a lot of time looking at the way all the mechanism works from what I can see inside the barrel, and I can't see any problem. Whatever it is, it is deeper in the lens I'm afraid.

So I wonder if there is advice -- a good place to send an old Zuiko for repair, or encouragement to open it up a bit more. I'm definitely afraid of going in another level and having stuff fly apart and have no idea how to get it back together again, but the flange removal was not scary once I did it.

I'm generally not afraid to fix broken things and use tiny screwdrivers; I've done a lot of Macintosh repair for friends and family over the years, iphone screens, iPods, etc, in the past, when everything was a bit more fixable from Apple. However this lens is (was) worth $900 or so, and I love it. I'd be happy to pay for a good repair rather than risking it.

Optically the lens is perfect, and it is my favorite lens right now, I think.

Thanks for any help!

John Lehet

Jan 28, 2017 at 06:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

jlehet wrote:
Not sure if this is the right topic, or if I should start a new one. I'll try here first:

I'm looking for advice: I just broke my Zuiko 90/2, I think by being clumsy trying out new extension tubes I just got on EBay. I think two of the tube/rings were stuck together as I put them on, and I thought it was a single thing. Anyway, the impact is that the aperture won't open up when it's on the adapter, and the aperture ring is sticky at the f16/22 end of the range. With the adapter on, the aperture
...Show more

it sounds like something in the aperture ring or linkage probably got bent so that it is sticking or not moving correctly. do you know what part of the lens hit when it fell? just from your description without looking at it myself i have no idea where exactly the issues is. it's possible pictures would help, but maybe not (it's been a while since i opened up an OM lens).

unfortunately i don't have a good recommendation for repairs for you (i believe there are people who specialize in OMs though). there are a few places you can send that i know of, but they're expensive. if there are any local camera shops with a lot of used manual focus lenses they might have somebody with experience in repairs.

Jan 28, 2017 at 07:04 PM
jlehet
• •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

It didn't actually fall, but I was putting on the extension tube, and I think trying to put two at once on. (the Ebay auction was only for two of the usual set of three of these, so I figured there were two pieces. But it turned out that the seller was as confused as me -- two of them were attached together and that didn't work out when I put it on the lens.

Here's one place I found by googling, and they will fix it for $139, apparently (haven't called them yet). That's $139 I wasn't planning on spending, but a lot better than losing the $900.

http://www.zuiko.com/index_010.htm

Jan 28, 2017 at 08:37 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

jlehet wrote:
It didn't actually fall, but I was putting on the extension tube, and I think trying to put two at once on. (the Ebay auction was only for two of the usual set of three of these, so I figured there were two pieces. But it turned out that the seller was as confused as me -- two of them were attached together and that didn't work out when I put it on the lens.

Here's one place I found by googling, and they will fix it for $139, apparently (haven't called them yet). That's $139 I wasn't planning on spending,
...Show more

so what happened to the lens?

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:05 PM
jlehet
• •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

>so what happened to the lens?

I don't know!

I did the damage, apparently, yesterday evening, without knowing it. Today I went to use the lens and it wouldn't function in the field. I assume that it must have been damaged while trying on the extension tube, and I remembered that I had had an awkward time trying to get that tube on. Something about two of the tubes being stuck together, and I was trying to do it in low light. When I did get the extension tube on I was getting crazy long exposures in the EVF (I didn't press the shutter). I was just trying out close focus, and I thought "That's funny" about the long exposure but moved on from that experiment without delving in. In retrospect it was already broken and stopped way down.

I checked in Lightroom, and the last time I used this 90 was a week and a few days ago, didn't drop it that day or since.

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:25 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

jlehet wrote:
>so what happened to the lens?

I don't know!

I did the damage, apparently, yesterday evening, without knowing it. Today I went to use the lens and it wouldn't function in the field. I assume that it must have been damaged while trying on the extension tube, and I remembered that I had had an awkward time trying to get that tube on. Something about two of the tubes being stuck together, and I was trying to do it in low light. When I did get the extension tube on I was getting crazy long exposures in the EVF (I didn't
...Show more

did you mount the lens directly on the tubes or was there an adapter between the tubes and the lens?

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:33 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

It shouldn't matter how many ext rings/tubes are attached together, it shouldn't hurt the lens.
Are the rings/tubes OEM?

To me, sounds like the lens had an issue that the rings either made worse, or you just became aware of it.

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:46 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

sebboh wrote:
probably, the 85 has twice the diameter though - it'd probably triple the weight. plus the 85 costs twice as much.

But they would look the same.

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

LightShow wrote:
But they would look the same.

probably better to go with the thinner 100/2.5 or 50/3.5 macro to keep the look.

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:49 PM
jlehet
• •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Yeah, the tubes were OEM. I just did a reenactment. It turns out there were only two tubes, but one of them had a sort of block-ring on it. I'm thinking the purpose of that is to protect the lever on the tube. So that was what I described as "two-things-attached-together." I didn't try to mount that very hard, because obviously there was no way it was going on the lens. It was a solid surface, and I didn't push that. The tubes look fine. I don't know how mounting the lens to the tube would have done this. But I think somehow it did. I'm not sure I'm going to try it again if I ever get the lens working.

There has been no issue with the lens up to this point, for sure. I've used it a lot. And yes, the tube mounted directly to the lens, then the tube to the adapter.

I'm not sure if there is a correct order, should have researched maybe -- mount tube to lens, then mount to adapter, or mount tube to adapter then to lens. I don't remember which way I did it, but maybe it was wrong.

Am at least somewhat heartened at the prospect that it might be able to be repaired. When it first happened I was wondering if anyone would fix such an old lens.

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:08 PM
jlehet
• •
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I just found a manual for the sibling lens, the 100/2. Don't know how similar the mechanisms are, but looking at the exploded view is half encouraging and half scary. Waffling between, "I could try that" and "I love this thing, better get a pro to fix it."

Lots of Olympus pdf manuals here:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/OLYMPUS_48.html

Jan 28, 2017 at 11:28 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

jlehet wrote:
Yeah, the tubes were OEM. I just did a reenactment. It turns out there were only two tubes, but one of them had a sort of block-ring on it. I'm thinking the purpose of that is to protect the lever on the tube. So that was what I described as "two-things-attached-together." I didn't try to mount that very hard, because obviously there was no way it was going on the lens. It was a solid surface, and I didn't push that. The tubes look fine. I don't know how mounting the lens to the tube would have done this. But
...Show more

sounds like you probably just bent the lever that links aperture control to the camera. should be pretty easy to fix to somebody that knows what it should look like it how to take it apart properly.

Jan 30, 2017 at 05:11 AM
jlehet
• •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I called LeZot, just across Vermont from me, and he said it would probably be "economical" to fix. He wouldn't give me a firm price but figured maybe under $100.

In other incarnations, as a younger film photographer, I had sent my Pentax 6x7 in there a couple of times when it broke. They've been around for a while. And they always fixed the camera for about $100. (I still have that camera, currently not functioning. Not sure whether it's worth fixing to sell it or not. I'm sure not going to use it)

Jan 30, 2017 at 03:13 PM
dkerins

p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I can't believe that it has been almost 3 years since I posted on FM. I suppose it has to do with the fact that I took up Kitesurfing and have been rather obsessed with that, still am. Anyway, I am finally going to convert my G45 to a Frankenzeiss. I realized I have two sets of adapter rings and only need one set. I want to know if anyone is interested in a set?

Feb 13, 2017 at 01:52 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Welcome back dkerins, Nice of you to offer the rings, I'm sure someone will jump on them.

Feb 13, 2017 at 04:15 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

contax g 21/2.8 conversion!
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/374/32939629421_fef628a50a_o.jpg
i think this is the best size match of the helicoid to the optics of the my g lens in rokkor 55/1.7 conversions.

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:31 AM
leolab
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I want to tag this post, what a great way to use the Contax G lenses on my A7

Mar 14, 2017 at 01:37 AM
brendans
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Has anyone worked on the Contax zooms? I have a 100-300 that will only only focus to 5m or so and won't actually focus to being sharp--it's very glowy and soft. Clearly an element out of whack somewhere. I've worked on quite a lot of primes and have the tools to do it but have basically zero experience with zooms.

Thoughts on if it's worth opening it up and seeing if it's something obvious or is a zoom like this a lot more complex?

Mar 31, 2017 at 02:39 PM
       18       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

18       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password