Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       end

Archive 2012 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

LightShow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I should bump this before it ends up in the archive

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:29 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I don't think there is an archive any longer. All sorts of threads have come out of the depths recently.

Mar 02, 2014 at 05:15 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Really? I know there was talk of changes, nice to see it happen.

Is there any interest in doing up a set of rings for the G28?

Has anyone looked at transplanting the G90?

Mar 03, 2014 at 12:54 AM
timballic
• • •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

The problem with having a dedicated repair, disassembly, mod' thread, is that things in it may not appear in a google search for the lenses covered, which is why I've put "CZJ PRAKTICAR (Flektogon) 35mm F2.4 Dismantle/Adapt for 5DII", as a separate thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1277386/0#12172900

If I'm wrong about that perhaps I should move it to here.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:00 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Google searches every post, I just typed in "I should bump this before it ends up in the archive" into Google and received one hit, this page.
At the very least having a link to the thread within this thread so people can find it will be helpful.

Mar 03, 2014 at 09:20 AM
timballic
• • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

LightShow wrote:
Google searches every post, I just typed in into Google and received one hit, this page.
At the very least having a link to the thread within this thread so people can find it will be helpful.

Thanks, I hadn't realised. However it would definitely get lost from FM Topic search

Mar 03, 2014 at 01:23 PM
flashinm
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I decided to go in another direction and sold my G45. I sill have the custom rings for converting it. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Mar 30, 2014 at 02:09 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I've posted a step-by-step series of photo's for the Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Collapsible lens here:

http://www.leicaplace.com/showthread.php?t=635

I posted instructions "long ago" on the old ziforums.com site, but lost then on my computer.

I ended up converting an f2 Sonnar to Leica mount, took photo's of the teardown and annotated with instructions. i can always add more notes if necessary.

Mar 30, 2014 at 02:27 PM
jcopelan
• •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Just read this entire thread from front to back. I'm very interested in converting my G45, now that I know it's a great copy.

Does anybody have a set of the custom CNC milled rings that were ordered? I sent flashinm a PM based on his last post.

If I can come across the rings, it does not appear that there is any further major metalworking to be done. Is that correct? I have hand tools, a Dremel, etc., but no lathe or other advanced metalworking knowledge.

Apr 29, 2014 at 01:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcopelan
• •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Here is my version of the conversion, thanks to Sebboh's first set of adapter rings. I managed to find a very clean donor body at my local camera shop four blocks away.

May 19, 2014 at 01:55 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Nice, I was planning to convert a black G45, but ended up with a silver version, the toughest part was getting the aperture linkage hooked up.
The mount on mine isn't perfect, so I may revisit it again soon to fix it, other than that it's great.

May 19, 2014 at 03:35 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

LightShow wrote:
Nice, I was planning to convert a black G45, but ended up with a silver version, the toughest part was getting the aperture linkage hooked up.
The mount on mine isn't perfect, so I may revisit it again soon to fix it, other than that it's great.

what's wrong with the mount? issues with the 6-bit coding and screw location?

May 19, 2014 at 04:01 AM
arstein
• •
p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Anyone remove the filter threads from their Olympus Zuiko Pen FT 38mm F/1.8 and 25mm F/4 for use on Sony A7/r does it help with slight Vignetting on the 38mm and 25mm. And what procedures would you use for removal of threads

Jun 01, 2014 at 06:15 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

sebboh wrote:
what's wrong with the mount? issues with the 6-bit coding and screw location?

You guessed it, the 6-bit would have landed exactly where the screw needs to be, so I rotated it a bit and ended up with the screw landing on the red alignment dot and the drill bit didn't drill as exactly I wanted because of the dot's indentation, coupled with not having long enough screws to give me piece of mind.

Jun 01, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

I'm looking at possibly buying a Zeiss Contax lens with a rubber focusing grip that is whitish in appearance due dryness, age or whatever. Does anyone know if it's possible to rejuvenate the appearance, maybe with Armor All or similar auto stuff used for bringing back the appearance of dried out bumpers, moldings and so forth?

Jun 02, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

To partially answer my own question, it appears the white is oxidation that can be cleaned off using soapy water and a toothbrush. Maybe the auto stuff would work since those work to remove oxidation as well? There is a link below on how to do this with Canon lenses, I just don't know if the rubber grips on Contax lenses slide easily off like the Canon ones do. Anyone know if they are attached with adhesive or glue?

http://www.everythingphotographyblog.com/2013/09/cleaning-lens-grips.html

Jun 02, 2014 at 12:30 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
To partially answer my own question, it appears the white is oxidation that can be cleaned off using soapy water and a toothbrush. Maybe the auto stuff would work since those work to remove oxidation as well? There is a link below on how to do this with Canon lenses, I just don't know if the rubber grips on Contax lenses slide easily off like the Canon ones do. Anyone know if they are attached with adhesive or glue?

http://www.everythingphotographyblog.com/2013/09/cleaning-lens-grips.html

if you're talking about c/y lenses, then yes they come off easily. it's possible they put a drop or two of glue under, but it doesn't accomplish anything. be careful not to stretch it out to much though or it won't fit tight when you put it back.

Jun 02, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · lens repair, modification and disassembly guide thread

sebboh wrote:
if you're talking about c/y lenses, then yes they come off easily. it's possible they put a drop or two of glue under, but it doesn't accomplish anything. be careful not to stretch it out to much though or it won't fit tight when you put it back.

Thanks! Yes, C/Y lenses.

Jun 02, 2014 at 01:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password