Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #524 Whoa

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #524 Whoa

Weekly Assignment 524: Fire hydrants... A local Leathercrafting / Cordwain, burnt down recently... Part of the canopy had the word "whoa" painted on it with an arrow pointing down... I tried to incorporate these into the image... Thank you

Whoa

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #524 Whoa

Nice bold colors and perspective. I wonder if you could perhaps clone out the AC unit and power pole/lines.

Oct 21, 2012 at 01:26 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #524 Whoa

kevinsullivan wrote:
Nice bold colors and perspective. I wonder if you could perhaps clone out the AC unit and power pole/lines.

Thanks Kevin... I will try some cloning...

Oct 21, 2012 at 01:42 PM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #524 Whoa

Looks so nice and brightly painted. Did they do that AFTER the building burnt?

Any idea what "whoa" was referring to? Normally, I think of horses, but I've never actually seen it written on a building...usually stop or slow down.

Like the angle on this. You keep the environment, yet it's obviously about the hydrant.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #524 Whoa

robertjm wrote:
Looks so nice and brightly painted. Did they do that AFTER the building burnt?

Any idea what "whoa" was referring to? Normally, I think of horses, but I've never actually seen it written on a building...usually stop or slow down.

Like the angle on this. You keep the environment, yet it's obviously about the hydrant.

The city repainted all hydrants this summer.. The original owners / occupants custom made saddles, bridals, horse stuff, as well as boots, belts, etc... They had a large plastic horse that sat under the "Whoa" to display some of their merchandise... Thank you for the kind words... To get this angle I had to lay in the gutter with my tripod at ground level... I would have preferred a nicer sky but in SW Texas monochrome blue is what you usually get... Thank God there was a little fog rising off a nearby water source to create some contrast... Again, thank you, Jim

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:32 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #524 Whoa

Congratulations on your first place !

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:23 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #524 Whoa

Rick Joyce wrote:
Congratulations on your first place !

Thank you Rick... That is very kind of you... Jim

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:47 AM
medialee

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #524 Whoa

I'm not too big on HDR but I really like the mood of this piece. Almost feels like it's dated older than it is. The fog ambiance in the far background really accentuate the mood. Great job!

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:46 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #524 Whoa

medialee wrote:
I'm not too big on HDR but I really like the mood of this piece. Almost feels like it's dated older than it is. The fog ambiance in the far background really accentuate the mood. Great job!

Thank you very much, Jim

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:43 AM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #524 Whoa

This was HDR? Very well done then because the colors were not totally overblown, which I sadly find in any HDR photos. In this case, it accentuated the colors nicely.

Robert

e:

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #524 Whoa

Technique is not HDR but everybody keeps saying it is. The difference is, I processed one image in LR4, Nik Color Efex Pro, and CS5 to get the desired results. This is a "Style / technique" I have been working on for years and is acquired through contrast, sharpening, blurring, and Saturation via exposure / gamma. I refer to it as "Hyper - realism". For another example please see the weekly assignment "Mirror Image".. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1166724
Thank you so much for your comments. Jim

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.