Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens Hood

gerald1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lens Hood

This maybe in the wrong forum, but it is realted to mainly sports photos.

I know this maybe a silly question but I have to ask. When you are shooting at night at a HS football game, does having a lens hood on your lens effect that amount of light that is getting to the sensor. Can you gain a stop or two?

I ask this becuase recently I was at a game and I saw a couple of shooters without hoods on their 70-200 and 300mm 2.8.

Thanks

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:36 PM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #2 · Lens Hood

That should be easy to try... no?

Denis
www.widgic.com

Oct 21, 2012 at 01:53 AM
BillP57
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Lens Hood

I would think it's more likely to cause lens flare from the lights than more light to the sensor. But as Widgic said it should be easy to try, just remember the glass is more exposed to potential damage.

Bill

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:56 AM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #4 · Lens Hood

You don't care about how much light is getting in through your lens (well ultimately you do but you care about the source). All that matters is how much light is hitting your subject. Taking a hood off won't affect how well lit a basketball player is 50 feet away. Light travels linearly so taking a hood off might allow light to come in from an angle but any light reflected from your subject is already coming in regardless of a hood.
For instance if there was a bright light source out of frame but within your angle of incidence when your hood was off, your metering would be fooled and you would have a bad exposure (underexposed at the subject). You gain a stop or two of light as you asked but not where you need it. Make sense?

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM
bergenor
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Lens Hood

It does make a lot of sense.
Thx

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password