Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

Timberland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

In short: I currently have a 7D that I like and want to keep as a second body.
I mainly shoot sports (football) and do travel photography.

For a while I've been looking at the 5D MKIII, which should be a wonderful camera IQ wise (full frame) and the AF is also very good (according to the reviews).

The problem is that I would like to buy one, but it is still too expensive for me at this moment (at €3000 in The Netherlands).

I also have the opportunity to buy a new 5D MKII for €1350,-, but I'm not convinced with the AF compared to what I have (a 7D) and I do not want to downgrade in the AF department. The image output should be great.

Now there has been a third option thrown at me which sounds tempting. I can buy a 7 month old 1D MKIV (25.000 shutter counts) for €2400,- which looks like it's new. I really like the idea that I can shoot at 10fps and very fast and accurate AF (although a bit heavier than I would like).
I'm a bit worried about IQ compared to the 5D MKIII. How does it perform against a full frame body (DOF wise and high ISO wise). Also the 5D MKIII should have even better AI Servo tracking capabilities than the 1DMKIV.

I could also hang on to my 7D and buy a 5D MKIII in some time when it's cheaper. :-D

Thanks for your suggestions!

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:44 PM
nonverbal

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

I would never say this is exactly right for you, but only what I experienced.

After moving on from avian photography where I needed the reach and fast shutter of my former 1D Mark IV (and on to nature/travel/architectural work), I went over to the 5D Mark III. I am getting more high quality, keeper images with my L lenses than ever before. I like the camera's lighter weight, the auto focus, and am generally very satisfied with the change. Is it right for you...who can say? perhaps you should rent them/borrow them for a day and compare. I did, and for my current interests (pure image quality) it sold me within an hour.

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:58 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

I have both, both are great but if I only had one it would be the 1DMIV. I'm sure you'll get opinions the other was as well.

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:59 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

I mainly shoot sports (football)

You gotta go with the MK4. It's no slouch also for other types of photography.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1150532/0?keyword=5d3#10978630

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:02 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

I say MkIV as well.

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:21 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

I shot with the 5D2/7D combination for some time, using the 7D for things that move fast, and the 5D2 for everything else. It was a fine combination.

If you're looking for one body that does everything, you're going to be disappointed with some aspect of any body (even the 1DX).

That said, I find that with the 5D3/7D combination, I only use the 7D when I'm seriously focal-length limited with the 5D3 the 5D3 is that good.

I have never used a 1D4, so I cannot comment directly. I'm sure it's a fine camera, better at most everything than the 7D, but it strikes me as a lot of money to spend for an upgrade for your expressed purposes. Given that "travel photography" is one of your two principal interests, I would prefer a 5D2 for most of that over a 1D4.

YMMV

Oct 20, 2012 at 06:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mogud
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

I shot quite a bit of birds and other wildlife with the 7D....great camera. I purchased the 1D IV and the 7D barely gets used. I debated about getting the 5D III or the 1D IV as well and went with the 1D IV for the speed and the 1.3x crop factor. I would go with the 1D IV.

Oct 20, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

I own both as well, and if pressed, I'd keep the 5Dmk3. FF/5Dmk3 has advantages, for travel, wide angle shooting, high iso, more room for cropping/more megapixels, and I actually believe the AF is generally better. for general shooting. The 1Dmk4 can do 10 fps (vs 6), and has more power to drive big lenses, so if that is more important to you, 1Dmk4 it is :-)

Oct 20, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Mike Pearson
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

If I were in your situation I would go with the 1D IV. The reason I would do that is that you can afford it while you can’t afford the 5D III. Also, I don’t think you would be very happy with the 5D II for football – auto-focus is not in the same league.

I currently use the 1D IV and the 5D III. I just got back from a one week trip during which I put my 70 – 200 II on the 1D IV and my 24 – 70 II on the 5D III and left them there for the entire trip. The choice of which lens went on which body was only because I was maximizing reach on the tele and maximizing wide on the wide lens. I don’t find a big difference in ISO performance or auto-focus. I know from “lab testing” that I have done at home that the high ISO and auto-focus of the 5D III are a bit better (ISO more than focus), but not enough to affect my using one or the other in real world shooting. When I got back from the trip and started processing all the RAW files, I found that it was difficult to tell which files were from which camera – a testament to both the bodies and lenses. I shot both wildlife and landscape with both cameras on the trip, including under jungle-like canopy (dark).

I would not wait for the price of the 5D III to come down. You lose all the shooting time for very little gain. Also, for football I would prefer the reach and frame rate of the 1D IV.

Oct 21, 2012 at 02:50 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

Timberland wrote:
I mainly shoot sports (football) and do travel photography.

You have answered your own question. Without a doubt, get the Mk IV.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV

I sold a 1DM4 to get a 5DM3. If you need the 1.3x crop, or absolutely must have the high frame rate, then get the 1DM4. However the 5DM3 has a new superior AF system, and file quality is better, in my experience.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password