FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

Note: I don't sell prints. The client is in charge of printing their images.

I have a few questions for those you provide the client with a CD/DVD/USB of images

1 - How are you managing file sizes? Right now I'm doing websized and full res, but full res is overkill when the client only wants to print off a 5x7. I was thinking about starting to export a ~2500px wide copy too.

2 - Are you exporting full res in JPG? And at what DPI?

3 - Are you keeping the 2x3 format? What do you do if your client wants to print a 5x7 or 11x14?

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:54 AM
drpeters
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

1. As you, I give my client two sizes of jpeg. Web size and full resolution.

2. 300dpi full res jpegs

3. Depending on the shot I maintain the 2x3 format. Sometimes I will edit a photo to 1x1 or 2x1. If a client is printing on their own, they can deal with cropping. If they are printing through my lab, I will crop for them after the order has been placed.

Oct 20, 2012 at 08:27 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

Most online labs will ask you how to crop it if it is not the same ratio.

Oct 20, 2012 at 08:33 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

ZachOly wrote:
Right now I'm doing websized and full res ... I was thinking about starting to export a ~2500px wide copy too.

Yep: THREE sizes.

Oct 20, 2012 at 09:02 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

We do web sized and 4x6 @ 300 dpi. We have it listed that the files we provide give them the rights to print up to an 8x10...anything else goes through us

Oct 20, 2012 at 09:13 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

8x12 @ 300ppi and Facebook cover width with watermark.

Edited on Oct 23, 2012 at 03:12 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

8x12 @ 240dpi and 80% quality and 720px wide watermarked.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM
coreymatthew
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

2 sizes.

Facebook: 720x540px @ 72 dpi
Hi-Res: 3600x2400px @ 300 dpi (8x12)

Oct 21, 2012 at 09:36 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

Facebook at 720 is so 2010. You guys need to update for cover and highlight sizes.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

4000 px at the longest. comes to around 3.5mb
1600 px at the longest. comes to around 1.5mb (this is with logo for FB. Used to be 1200px before)

I keep the ratio as is. If they need to print the size, the printing company will figure it out. Or they'll message me.

Also Corey, saying "300dpi", means nothing. Image at 4000px wide will be 4000px wide no matter what.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

DPI setting is irrelevant in 99.9% of environments.

Oct 22, 2012 at 01:13 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

Usually 2 sizes - Web Optimized and High Res for printing up to 11x16.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

"PPI" is not irrelevant if people are listing sizes. Most people are using the wrong terminology. (DPI for PPI) Others are listing both. Give the corrections a break.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

SloPhoto, DPI is pretty damn relevant when delivering printable files... <slap>

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

I just deliver full res straight out of lightroom export without any resizing or smaller versions. I let them crop as they want so I usually try to leave enough room to get a 8x10 on group shots and posed shots.
I haven't had any complaints about the files sizes being too big or anything. 400 pics is about 1.5gb or so (I shoot mRaw on the 5D II and the 7D)

Oct 23, 2012 at 08:41 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

That Photog wrote:
I just deliver full res straight out of lightroom export without any resizing or smaller versions. I let them crop as they want so I usually try to leave enough room to get a 8x10 on group shots and posed shots.
I haven't had any complaints about the files sizes being too big or anything. 400 pics is about 1.5gb or so (I shoot mRaw on the 5D II and the 7D)

I think it would be good idea to consider that not everyone is photo tech savvy. The typical big box photo printers that likely the typical client use will not accept too large of an image file. My 2cents is the least amount of tinkering they have to do the better.
Most users will likely use the available Windows Resizer tool on your high res image so that they can upload into Costco photolab. Ugh....

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Questions for those who give the client digital files

Ghost wrote:
I think it would be good idea to consider that not everyone is photo tech savvy. The typical big box photo printers that likely the typical client use will not accept too large of an image file. My 2cents is the least amount of tinkering they have to do the better.
Most users will likely use the available Windows Resizer tool on your high res image so that they can upload into Costco photolab. Ugh....

That is a good point. It may not be safe to assume photo savvy, but I think generally speaking most people are shooting 15mp+ point and shoots and dealing with those which are larger than the delivered jpegs of my mRaw files (approx 10mp). I do maintain an online gallery of each wedding and "highly recommend" that all prints 8x10 or larger are purchased through my site to ensure quality. I don't make hardly any money on prints to encourage people to buy through me (Zenfolio). I consider myself a somewhat budget priced photographer (above Craigslist but below full timers) and I think that yields a client that is used to doing some work themselves to get what they want. I am sure some people deliverer B&W + sepia + color + small + medium + large. I just haven't been asked yet or heard complaints, so I will assume that what I am doing is working.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.