Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

1fstwrx
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

Before I got married, I shot Nikon. I got married, and my wife and I decided that shooting 2 lens systems was a pretty bad idea, and I did what all smart men would do, sold my Nikon stuff, and bought a 50d. Haven't really shot much as a result of many life events, and ended up selling it to a friend. I am currently lensless personally, although my wife has a 17-40l, 50 1.8, 28-135, and a 580EX. She gave me the go ahead to go back to NIkon, but with 2 littles ones JUST born, buying 2 24-70s seems almost stupid when I could be saving for college. So...thinkin even with the green light to jump back to the Nikon ship I will likely stick with Canon. With the current rebates on the 5d Mark 2, and the fact that I would LIKE to shoot full frame (although not completely necessary, but am feeling like investing in "crop" lenses with full frames continuing to drop is counter intuitive) that is looking like the route to go. I'm a portrait, people, thin DOF kind of shooter. My ideal focal length 24-70. What would you guys do? Lookin for some general advice, as I am not currently as up on the bodies/lenses as I have been most of my life. Take the oppotunity to go Nikon and run Stick to Canon and cover more lenses, since we won't have to buy 2 of each? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!!

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:53 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

Your wife's got a few nice Canon lenses and a flash, which is a great starting point, and it will all work on full frame.

You've got the wider angles covered, my choice would be to pick up a 5D2 and 70-200mm 2.8 IS II, which is a great portrait lens. The 135mm f/2L and/or 85mm f/1.2L are even better for the DOF junkie

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:07 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

There is a great offer at B&H for a 5D II with 24-105, bag, printer at 2100, isnt it?

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:03 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

1st, what body is your wife using; crop or full frame?
2nd, what Nikon level AF are you use to, can you manage with the AF system your wife's camera has?

Full Frame thoughts...augmenting your wife's lenses.
1 - 5D2, 85 f1.8, 70-200 f4L IS, 1.4x II T/C (the 70-200 f2.8 is about twice the price, $1200 vs $2200)
2 - 6D, 85 f1.8, 70-200 f4 L IS, 1.4x II T/C

Why the 6D...
Pros:
- it has lens/CA correction like the 5D3 built in, which should help a bit with the IQ of the 28-135
- it's a lighter body
- it's center point is said to be more sensitive in low light; -3 vs. -2 on the 5D2
- it might have better high ISO than the 5D2; like the 5D3's newer sensor tech
- it has a slightly higher FPS at 4.5 vs, 3.9 for the 5D2
Cons:
- you have to wait a few months to buy it
- it's not reviewed/tested yet...Ralph will soon take care of this tho

The kit Ralph mentions is $2599 with a $400 mail-in-rebate, thus $2199...nice deal
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896084-REG/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II.html

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:52 AM
1fstwrx
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

Yea, the reason I am leaning towards the 5d2 is in fact BECAUSE of that deal otherwise was not looking to spend so much, so the 6d, unfortunately is out of the question. Is the 5d2 not a great route to go?

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:10 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

The 5D II is a great body and good buy with the III now out. Buy the 5d II kit and sell the 28-135. Replace it with either the 70-200 f4L or the f2.8 II if you have the extra cash.

Oct 20, 2012 at 08:24 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

1fstwrx wrote:
Yea, the reason I am leaning towards the 5d2 is in fact BECAUSE of that deal otherwise was not looking to spend so much, so the 6d, unfortunately is out of the question. Is the 5d2 not a great route to go?

The 5D2 is a fantastic body. Professionals have used it since it's release, continue to do so, at it's current pricing you simply can't go wrong.

if you decide on the 5D2, but only want to buy the body because money is tight, you might consider getting a refurbished body or a used body.

- Canon has their loyalty program that lets you trade in ANY Canon camera body; broken, old film, old digital including point&shoot cameras for a discount on their referbs. Last week they had the 5D2 at $1545 + tax and shipping, and were offering a 20% discount on a referb lens if you purchased them together; the 7D was $1055, the 60D was $635 and the Rebel models even cheaper...they come with a 90 day warranty, not a 1 year like a new purchase

- I'd look on the Buy & Sell forum here on FM as well. I've had great success buying used gear from the folks on this site, all gear was as described or better than described. It's an option I highly recommend!

Jerry

Edited on Oct 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

1fstwrx wrote:
Before I got married, I shot Nikon. I got married, and my wife and I decided that shooting 2 lens systems was a pretty bad idea, and I did what all smart men would do, sold my Nikon stuff, and bought a 50d. Haven't really shot much as a result of many life events, and ended up selling it to a friend. I am currently lensless personally, although my wife has a 17-40l, 50 1.8, 28-135, and a 580EX. She gave me the go ahead to go back to NIkon, but with 2 littles ones JUST born, buying 2 24-70s
...Show more

I'm consistent in my position that it really doesn't matter which brand you shoot, especially in the longer term. If you wife shot Nikon and you were a former Canon user, my advice would be essentially the same - stick to a single brand. In this case, that probably means working with Canon gear, since that is what she has and you are the one who needs to acquire gear.

You certainly could shoot different brands, but there are advantages in being able to share some equipment, especially the less used pieces that you might otherwise be less able to justify.

As far as full frame Canon gear goes, you have some options. The 5D3 is the current best body in that category by most standards, and there are some good pricing options right now. The previous 5D2 is also an excellent camera - I chose to keep mine rather than upgrading to the 5D3 - and the cost is lower, which might make it more attractive to you as you try this move back to Canon shooting and to full frame.

Lenses raise an interesting set of questions. There is a new 24-70mm f/2.8 lens from Canon that is reportedly an excellent performer, though it is quite pricey. The previous model of this lens is well-regarded and less expensive. Many also like the 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens, though that may not satisfy your desire for very thin DOF. Another option could be to combine one of these (the 24-105?) with a large aperture prime or two. While you can spend a ton on L primes, there are some fine non-L prime options that are quite good, too. These include the 35mm f/2, the 50mm f/1.4, and the 85mm f/1.8.

Dan

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1fstwrx
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

Decided!!! Finally, thanks to your guys help! Going to order the kit, sell the printer on here (should be able to sell it at a good discount here, yes?) and the wife owes me a bday present, so she will order me the 85 1.8. 24-105 and 85 1.8 is kind of my perfect, not insanely heavy bag I'm thinking. Any other recommendations or thoughts before I hit the button?

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1fstwrx
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

StillFingerz wrote:
The 5D2 is a fantastic body. Professionals have used it since it's release, continue to do so, at it's current pricing you simply can't go wrong.

if you decide on the 5D2, but only want to buy the body because money is tight, you might consider getting a refurbished body or a used body.

- Canon has their loyalty program that lets you trade in ANY Canon camera body; broken, old film, old digital including point&shoot cameras for a discount on their referbs. Last week they had the 5D2 at $1545 + tax and shipping, and were offering a 20% discount
...Show more

This is great for my wife, she has a T2i and would like to upgrade her body as well. I NEVER knew about this! Is there a specific site or area you go to, to check this out? Based on my math, knowing I want the 24-105 as well, it seems insane to not get this deal to me though...

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

1fstwrx wrote:
Decided!!! Finally, thanks to your guys help! Going to order the kit, sell the printer on here (should be able to sell it at a good discount here, yes?) and the wife owes me a bday present, so she will order me the 85 1.8. 24-105 and 85 1.8 is kind of my perfect, not insanely heavy bag I'm thinking. Any other recommendations or thoughts before I hit the button?

Excellent choice! The 24-105 is a wonderful general-purpose lens, and the 85/1.8 will give you a fast lens when you need it.

You should enjoy that fine equipment very much!

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:29 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · At an impass, starting from scratch, sort of...

That 85 will be perfect for photographing your young family, and the 5D2 is amazing value nowadays!

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.