Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

HLPoulos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Greetings all,
A couple weeks ago I went out to Lodi, CA to shoot a wedding. There are a lot of photos here ... and I certainly don't expect anyone to comment on all of them! But if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear your overall thoughts.
If questions come up about the black and white choice, I'll answer, but wanted to get your thoughts first.
Thanks for looking! There are more on the blog if you're interested.
Haley

Oct 19, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

#40 really caught me by surprise!!!!

I dont think I can do a whole wedding with B&W. I usually do B&W when I know it is going to look good in B&W by just looking at it. I guess my B&W conversion skill isnt good because I can't do it on a lot of my images. They dont look good. Teach me the conversion!

Very awesome set. Not very sure about the last one though.

Oct 19, 2012 at 08:52 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Really good coverage, Haley. I'm loving those B&W conversions.

I think 40 thrown in there to see if we were paying attention. I'm curious as to why you didn't convert that one too. Oh and I'd probably clone/crop the sprinkler out of 16.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:13 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Mason Jars!!!

Conversion is well done. Not sure why 40's in there.

2, 47, 48 held my attention. 56 is awesome too, but I think it needs better processing to make it pop. I'd dump 58.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:15 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

I agree nice B&W conversions. I personally like 47, 48, 56 too. Nice job!

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:48 PM
heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

I find 40 there in color makes a really nice contra-point. Love it.

heiko

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

47 & 48. That tree is awesome! I'm not sure what happened with 58 but I'd remove it. All the other images are very strong.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Beautiful set Haley. The quality of the compositions here is striking. Love the consistency of the processing throughout. Two, 3, 5, 6, 12, 27, 33, and 48 are my faves. Very high quality work.

Oct 20, 2012 at 01:42 AM
TTee

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Your B&W are so clean and crisp-if that makes sense. Excellent!

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:23 AM
ryancrouch

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Love the set! Would really like to know how you did your B&W conversions.

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scottam10
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Interesting idea to do the whole thing in B&W. I like the set though!

The first part seems a bit baby-heavy, at least to an outsider

I really like 47; the textured tree bark leads us into the subject

Plenty of great candids, but there seems to be a lack of bride/B&G/bridal party shots?

The lady on the right of 33 isn't going to like that one (it's a funny shot though)
- I agree with dumping 58

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:16 AM
HLPoulos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far.

I appreciate all of them, and I do hear ya on the last shot. I'm going to keep it, though. It was shot in the wee hours of the morning on a dirt road after 77 bottles of champagne (give or take). It's a memory. I totally get your point about it, though!

amonline, 40's in there because I liked the trees. That's it.

Scottam10, yes, definitely a lack of all those things you mentioned. Those weren't important to the bride and groom, and they're not things I usually blog, anyway, as they're not my forte. I will deliver them, though.

The lady in 33 gave me her explicit approval to post that shot. She likes it.

I appreciate all your comments! It's great to get an outside perspective on a set that I'm so closely tied to.

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:25 AM
HLPoulos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

OH! I meant to comment for those who asked about my black and white conversions.

I use only LR4. Not PS. Basically, I set all saturation levels to 0 (NOT just using the saturation slider). Then I fiddle with the contrast until it feels right. Then I go into luminance. I generally tweak the reds, oranges, and yellows until they feel right. Clarity is usually +4. Black are generally -10 or so. I like me a nice contrasty black and white. I also scoot the white balance around until it feels right.

I'm not trying to be vague at ALL. This is seriously how I do it. It's not efficient, and it takes me probably thrice as long to process a wedding as it does for normal people. But that's how I do it. Some stuff deserves less contrast. Some more. Honestly, most of it is "feel" and not technique. I know shit about technique, but I can feel when a black and white conversion is headed for the crapper.

Hope that helps! I'm open to any questions, but please don't take it personally if I can't answer it!

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:33 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

HLPoulos wrote:
OH! I meant to comment for those who asked about my black and white conversions.

I use only LR4. Not PS. Basically, I set all saturation levels to 0 (NOT just using the saturation slider). Then I fiddle with the contrast until it feels right. Then I go into luminance. I generally tweak the reds, oranges, and yellows until they feel right. Clarity is usually +4. Black are generally -10 or so. I like me a nice contrasty black and white. I also scoot the white balance around until it feels right.

It's funny you mention this technique. I ran my son through his B&W module in Creative Photography about 10 days ago and we used this technique for his labs to demonstrate the different uses of filters. I liked the results so much, I've been doing it this way ever since. I'm currently tying in the VSCO stuff with my filter versions to give me better results over both contributions. I've stayed away from the clarity, and my blacks are usually bumped around -7 to -9. Still tweaking a new process, but it's interesting to find someone doing nearly the exact same thing. lol

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:30 AM
squeaky_clean
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

I want to get married again so you can come shoot it...!

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:37 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HALEY!

Oct 20, 2012 at 01:31 PM
davidoff

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

Interesting, that's how I've been doing my b&w's recently as well. What exactly do you mean when you say " all saturation levels to 0 " ? Don't you just click the black and white button on top of white balance ?

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:06 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

I do, to begin with; but then I find myself changing nearly all the sliders and using only the filtered colors needed to enhance the image for the intended result.

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:02 PM
Leslie168
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

wow

what a great sets of wedding pics especial with B&W!! I am really love the way you handle above, great jobs and I am really want to learn more of it!

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:17 PM
davidoff

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · black and white wedding- lodi, ca

amonline wrote:
I do, to begin with; but then I find myself changing nearly all the sliders and using only the filtered colors needed to enhance the image for the intended result.

Oh yes, exactly. 90% of the time it's just the red and orange that matter, in my experience.

Oct 20, 2012 at 03:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password