New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

I need some help with an export action. Exporting multiple copies is killing my workflow. I just spent 1.5 hours editing and exporting ~30 photos for an engagement shoot I had today. I'd guess an hour of that was just watermarking and exporting.

I fear doing the exporting for a wedding haha

I have the following layers open in PS CS6:

Image_BW
Image_Color
Background

First: I need to export Image_BW and Image_Color in full res, but I need to have Image_BW with the "_BW" extension, i.e. IMG_7777.jpg and IMG_7777_BW.jpg

Second: I need to export these two layers with my watermark (it's a brush"). Right off the bat I want a prompt to let me place the watermark. Second, I need to export the files at websized with the file extension "IMG_7777_Web.jpg" and "IMG_7777_BW_Web.jpg"

So what I'd like to be left with is a folder with:

IMG_7777.jpg
IMG_7777_BW.jpg
IMG_7777_Web.jpg
IMG_7777_BW_Web.jpg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm spending countless hours doing the above manually.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:50 PM
MissMouse
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

If you have full Photoshop. To batch you work download Image Processor Pro from Russell Browns web site. Create simple actions to do the conversions use the script to batch these actions, size and name the output files. All your files can be created in a single run of the Image Processor Pro script.

IMO Watermarking brushes are not the way to go for Brush Strokes can not be recorder before CS6 and CS6 implementation is very poor. Watermarks are better done using custom logo files, custom shapes and custom text for they can be automated..

The crafting actions package on our web site has a sample watermarking action that can watermark any size image. http://www.mouseprints.net/Photoshop.html

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:12 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

First, I'd recommend you get two free tools if you don't already have them. The Russell Brown Image Processor Pro and Watermark scripts.

Then the task is pretty easy.

Create one Image Processor "set" to simply create a version "as is", using the naming tool to add the "BW" to the end of the current file name. That will give you your full res BW version.

Create another set adding a simple action to delete the top layer (by name or just top layer), leaving your color layer. No renaming needed. That will give you your full res color version. Deleting the top layer in the Image Processor will not harm your original file.

Create a third set, adding your watermark action. The action can have "stops" in it to allow you to position and size your watermark. Tell the Image Processor to resize and add "BW_Web" to the file name.

And a finally a forth set to do the color version, using an action that both deletes the top layer and does the watermark, plus resizes.

You can save these for sets as a full Image Processor preset for future use. One execution of the preset will create all 4 versions of jpegs, in the same folder or different folders. You have good control of input locations, output locations, file naming.

I don't watermark, but I think if you look at Russell's watermark script it can save you having to put stops in your own action to size and position the watermark.

One part to watch out for and experiment with is whether to do the watermarking before or after the resize.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:31 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

So I'm setting up an save action. How can I get the action to stop when it asks me where I'd like to save the file?

Oct 19, 2012 at 08:10 PM
MissMouse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

ZachOly wrote:
So I'm setting up an save action. How can I get the action to stop when it asks me where I'd like to save the file?

If you use the Image processor pro script you do not need any save action. In fact your job your job will be harder if you include a save in any action. Action will have a hard time naming saved files well, Scripts can do a much better job with names. As I wrote before with a single run of the Image Processor Pro you should be able to save all the jpeg files you want, Each image file you need to be processed you configure the image processor to use one of you actions before of after being re sized by the image processor pro once your action ends the image processor pro will save as a file type of your choice in a folder of your choice with a name you have created a model of. Once the file is saved you can process the same unaltered image before of after being re sized with an other action and have the image processor pro save the image with the file type and name in a folder. You can save as many files as you need. Once all the files you need saved for an image are saved the image processor pro will move onto your next image and repeat the processes till all your images have been processed. "Image Processor" duty in life it to make your life easier.

Menu File>Automate>Image Processor Pro

Its dialog looks like this you can add an remove center tabs save as many jpegs as you need.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:38 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

^ Thanks a lot.

One huge problem I'm having with IPP is that it's not exporting as a JPG, it's exporting as a "File". Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot to add the extension haha

Oct 20, 2012 at 06:08 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

Ok, everything works perfect with IPP

EXCEPT - I need to save both layers

So in PS, this is what I see in my layers panel:

Layer 2
Layer 1
Background

I need IPP to save Layer 1 and Layer 2.

Right now the only solution I can see is running it through once for Layer 2, then manually turning off every Layer 2, than running IPP to save Layer 1

Oct 20, 2012 at 06:35 AM
MissMouse
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

IPP can also save layered tiffs and PSD its there to make you life easier. You actions do not need to even flatten images save a jpeg will do that and can even convert color space to srgb.

the IPP is like an action that dupe image play action 1 close dupe image dupe image again play acton x close close.

Oct 20, 2012 at 08:54 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

MissMouse wrote:
IPP can also save layered tiffs and PSD its there to make you life easier

My concern is that I usually have a B&W and a color layer that I need to save as two different JPGs. I guess I could always just open up the image in PS and copy it...

Oct 20, 2012 at 09:00 AM
MissMouse
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I need help creating an action for multiple exports

Look at it this way you start with a collection of images they can be of any image file format in any color space and color bit depth. Which you set in the first section of the dialog. These files will not be changes the IPP will not replace files it would generate a new name if a file in the output folder contained a file with the name it was about to save.

In the second section of the dialog you have a choice where the output images are stored in the upper section of the dialog.

In the tab section you can choose to store file sets in sub folders sets or not and store all file in the folder select above.

You can set up as many tabs as you need to in this third tabbed section. One for each file you want to save. You can set up each tab to use or not use one of your actions. Each tab can use a different action to simplify actions. Each tab can save or not save a particular image file type it set up to save. You can un-check the tab save check-box and the tab will be skipped. There are different save option for different file types. There is also a re size option in each tab you can choose or not choose to re size the original image during the process.

The last section can add copyright information.

The way IPP works is it creates a list of files it will be processing and the starts the process. Opening the first file into a document. Layered or not. It then dupes the document for the first tab. Looks at the tabs options and if it should include one of you actions and if there is a re-size, should the action be run before or after it uses the FitImage plug-in the re size the documents pixel count. Your actions can be very simple like add a BW adjustment to convert the image or re-sized image to BW. No other steps may be needed or you can have additional steps to add a watermark or sharpen the image etc. Keep your actions simple. Have an action for each tab.

The IPP is going to do all the image file saves for you where you set with names you set and options you set. There may no reason to flatten images convert color space or color bit depth in your actions with the save options provided by the IPP. The IPP tabs have options you set and IPP will use them. For example when you use Photoshop you can save the layered document you working on as a Jpeg image. Photoshop will temporarily flatten the document save the jpeg and revert the document back to its its layered state. Once the IPP has save a file it will close the altered image and prepare a the original image for the next tab. This go on for each tab. When all tabs have been processed IPP move on to the next image to be processed on and on till all files have been saved for all image file. While all the is happening take a brake make passionate love. Make simple action fewer steps will reduce duration time the whole process takes.

You can also eliminate layer you don't want to be in your saved layered files in your action used to process the image document that will be saved layered by the IPP.

Each of your action will be working on the original image not one modified by any tab processing other then its own tab.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.