Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain it...
  
 
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


It's no loss... you'll get better prices and MUCH better service from Canadian dealers.


Oct 20, 2012 at 01:18 PM
Sam tran
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


Companies are free to "shop" elsewhere for cheaper manufacturing conditions, but they turn around and try to prevent their customers from doing the same thing. - HarryC
As a consumer, I can do the same thing...I' ll buy Olympus from now on



Oct 20, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Monito
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


Fr3lncr wrote:
I thought part of all this was due to the new rules about not allowing products with rechargeable batteries to be shipped internationally (USPS apparently wont ship such items anymore and even UPS is adding restrictions effective Jan 1, 13 and B&H uses UPS to ship to Canada...).


If it were rechargeable batteries, then the Rebels would be on the list, along with batteries.



Oct 20, 2012 at 01:57 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


lowa2 wrote:
Jim, typically bodies are equal in both countries. It's the lenses that hurt.


CPS Canada gives significantly lower lens prices than you'll pay from the US. OTOH, I'll gladly pay a premium of at least 10% on the base price, in order to get it through my local brick & mortar shop.



Oct 20, 2012 at 03:16 PM
tonywong88
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


Issues like the 5D3 being higher priced in Canada (MSRP) shouldn't happen since Canon Canada is a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon USA. I can understand a $100 differential but when it gets above 10% you can see the dollar signs in Canon's eyes.

As bad as this is, Nikons cross border warranty policies are worse. They both seem to be taking hints from the car companies.



Oct 20, 2012 at 04:42 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


tonywong88 wrote:
Issues like the 5D3 being higher priced in Canada (MSRP) shouldn't happen...


Well, it isn't happening. The current US list price for 5DIII at B&H is $3400 US. Its current CA list price at TCS and Aden is $3400 CA. Where's the problem?



Oct 20, 2012 at 05:04 PM
rickboden
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


jcolwell wrote:
Well, it isn't happening. The current US list price for 5DIII at B&H is $3400 US. Its current CA list price at TCS and Aden is $3400 CA. Where's the problem?


It did happen though. Up until around the end of July, the 5D Mark III body was priced a couple hundred dollars more in Canada while Nikon priced the D800 the same in both countries. I happened to buy the Canon in July and was not happy they offered a $300 rebate only a few weeks later.



Oct 20, 2012 at 05:14 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


rickboden wrote:
It did happen though. Up until around the end of July, the 5D Mark III body was priced a couple hundred dollars more in Canada while Nikon priced the D800 the same in both countries. I happened to buy the Canon in July and was not happy they offered a $300 rebate only a few weeks later.


OK, thanks. I wasn't watching 5DIII prices. At least you could get a 5DIII a lot sooner than most of us could get the 1DX...



Oct 20, 2012 at 05:17 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


I see B&H is also doing this with Nikon gear again, too.

It seems to be just a B&H thing though, as I see that reputable US retailers are still willing to ship the same products to Canada...



Oct 21, 2012 at 02:26 PM
EyeBrock
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


Well, I will just find other ways to buy from B+H. And to say that Canadian retailers are better than B+H is a stretch. I've been buying from B+H for 8 years now. All my experiences have been positive. The times I've used Adorama and JR have been good too.

Even with shipping and HST, B+H usually save me 20-30%.

I don't buy from them out of some misplaced loyalty, I buy from them because they are usually the cheapest. My loyalty is to my family and the cash I save goes to them, not a Canadian retailer.

The stuff is all imported from Japan, why should I pay more in Canada? It's silly and I won't. Retailers like Henry's and Vistek et al are gouging us. Give us a deal and you will get my money. Until then I will be keeping US businesses busy.



Oct 22, 2012 at 02:36 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



tonywong88
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


molson wrote:
I see B&H is also doing this with Nikon gear again, too.

It seems to be just a B&H thing though, as I see that reputable US retailers are still willing to ship the same products to Canada...


Nikon is worse than Canon for cross border shopping since they only honor Canadian bought Nikon stuff for warranty work in Canada. At least Canon warranties are cross border compatible between the US and Canada.



Oct 22, 2012 at 08:47 AM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


EyeBrock wrote:
Well, I will just find other ways to buy from B+H. And to say that Canadian retailers are better than B+H is a stretch. I've been buying from B+H for 8 years now. All my experiences have been positive. The times I've used Adorama and JR have been good too.

Even with shipping and HST, B+H usually save me 20-30%.

I don't buy from them out of some misplaced loyalty, I buy from them because they are usually the cheapest. My loyalty is to my family and the cash I save goes to them, not a Canadian retailer.

The stuff
...Show more


I always have to laugh when people post about how much cheaper B&H is and then cite Henry's or Vistek - two of the highest-priced photo retailers on earth - as examples to prove their point. There are a lot of Canadian retailers that sell Canon and Nikon gear for less than B&H, and they are much more honest and reputable too.

Canon users may not have to worry about this much longer, though... Canon is opening their first "Consumer Experience Centre" in Calgary - where consumers will be able to go and see and touch Canon products before buying them online direct form Canon. If I was a retail store that relied on selling Canon merchandise, I would be starting to worry...



Oct 22, 2012 at 02:24 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


molson wrote:
Canon users may not have to worry about this much longer, though... Canon is opening their first "Consumer Experience Centre" in Calgary - where consumers will be able to go and see and touch Canon products before buying them online direct form Canon. If I was a retail store that relied on selling Canon merchandise, I would be starting to worry...


That's interesting. CPS Canada has already bypassed Canadian retailers for a lot of spendy customers, a least as far as earning money for retail stores is concerned. Do you figure they're setting up their own retail outlets, la Sony?



Oct 22, 2012 at 02:31 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


jcolwell wrote:
That's interesting. CPS Canada has already bypassed Canadian retailers for a lot of spendy customers, a least as far as earning money for retail stores is concerned. Do you figure they're setting up their own retail outlets, la Sony?



As I understand it, the new concept "store" will not sell products - it's just a venue where customers can see and touch products without having to go to a retail store. Purchases can then be made through the internet.


I think the decision to block retailers like B&H from shipping to Canada may signal the end of the CPS pricing on pro gear - it was only put in place to curb purchasing from the US back when the Canadian dollar was so weak, and now that they can stop US retailers from shipping across the border there isn't much incentive for Canon to continue that pricing program.

I still wonder if this is a US-wide thing, or just another B&H peculiarity... supposedly they can't ship Nikon products to Canada either, but reputable stores like Roberts, Kenmore, and Samy's were all willing to ship me the same products when I checked yesterday... ?



Oct 22, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Fr3lncr
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada



I always have to laugh when people post about how much cheaper B&H is and then cite Henry's or Vistek - two of the highest-priced photo retailers on earth - as examples to prove their point. There are a lot of Canadian retailers that sell Canon and Nikon gear for less than B&H, and they are much more honest and reputable too.


Agreed. Unless they have a really good sale, their prices are usually higher. That's why I always use photoprice to check prices out for the best deal once taxes and shipping are taken into account.

For me, I can get a 5D MKIII w 24-105 for $750 less buy buying it from B&H vs. buying it from anywhere in Canada. If I was just to buy the body alone, there would be some minor savings buying but not enough to offset the ease of buying it locally.

Another example for the reverse side of things... you can get the grip for the MKIII for $100 less in Canada (from BC) than anywhere in the States. So, again, it pays to shop around first. The issue, at least from my point of view, is doing your research, knowing what something can go for and then having certain avenues closed.

And to echo some of the other posters comments, yes, B&H is very accommodating. Just contact them directly. Great shop.



Oct 22, 2012 at 03:56 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


molson wrote:
As I understand it, the new concept "store" will not sell products - it's just a venue where customers can see and touch products without having to go to a retail store. Purchases can then be made through the internet.

I think the decision to block retailers like B&H from shipping to Canada may signal the end of the CPS pricing on pro gear...


I hope not, but it makes sense. That would be too bad.




Oct 22, 2012 at 04:17 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


Harry.C wrote:
I like to support local whenever I can, but it's the hypocrisy of this that bothers me more than anything. Companies are free to "shop" elsewhere for cheaper manufacturing conditions, but they turn around and try to prevent their customers from doing the same thing.

In the case of camera lenses the difference between US and Canada can be enormous sometimes.

Regards,
Harry C

Of course, you are free to start your own camera company.



Oct 22, 2012 at 04:45 PM
henryp
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


Fr3lncr wrote:
I thought part of all this was due to the new rules about not allowing products with rechargeable batteries to be shipped internationally (USPS apparently wont ship such items anymore and even UPS is adding restrictions effective Jan 1, 13 and B&H uses UPS to ship to Canada...).


UPS and USPS shipping regs have nothing to do with Canon USA's newly aggressive enforcement of this policy.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video



Oct 22, 2012 at 04:46 PM
henryp
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


molson wrote:
Canon users may not have to worry about this much longer, though... Canon is opening their first "Consumer Experience Centre" in Calgary - where consumers will be able to go and see and touch Canon products before buying them online direct form Canon.


Nikon USA operated a similar business in Manhattan for many years called "Nikon House." The last location was in Rockefeller Center. It was a wonderful place to visit but ultimately became too expensive to maintain and was shuttered a decade or more ago.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video



Oct 22, 2012 at 05:01 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada


The big money's in Calgary, now.


Oct 22, 2012 at 05:03 PM
1      
2
       3       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password