Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain it...

lesaus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/bh-stops-some-items-from-shipping-to-canada/

Oct 19, 2012 at 05:59 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #2 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Use sales[at]bhphoto.com or phone us - 800.606.6969 / 212.444.6615 and we can help with this.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:14 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Yup, it sucks.

Oct 19, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Any indication as to what's on the list? There are four items in the rumour list. Is that it or are there more? How does it work? Do we get denied at checkout? Before or after entering payment? Can the orders be cancelled if all that remains is a few small items after a big one is cancelled?

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Maybe it's because I'm from the UK but this smacks of restrictive practice which shouldn't be allowed. I'm pretty sure there would be rules or laws that stop this sort of thing over here .

Problem is I guess it's difficult for a store ( even one as big as bh) to fight against this sort of thing. If you do and rock the boat you could quite easily find your orders not being forfilled or being at the end of the que for new released items.

I still think that as a buyer you should be free to purchase from who ever you want and as a seller you should not be told who you can and cannot sell to .

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm from the UK but this smacks of restrictive practice which shouldn't be allowed.

What good is the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) if free trade is prevented?

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

The thing is, is Canon doing this because they want to, or because of pressure from the Canadian dealers (who are losing sales to dealers in the US)? I mean, who are the real winners and the losers from this type of thing?

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #8 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Monito wrote:
What good is the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) if free trade is prevented?

The North American Free Trade Agreement was never about free trade for the benefit of consumers. Corporations only engage in these types of agreements in order to maximize their profits.

It was designed to benefit corporations - not people.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #9 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Access wrote:
The thing is, is Canon doing this because they want to, or because of pressure from the Canadian dealers (who are losing sales to dealers in the US)? I mean, who are the real winners and the losers from this type of thing?

Canon's authorized channel are the winners, and the losers are, in this case, Canadian consumers.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

NAFTA applies to goods made in North America, not elsewhere. Other agreements are being worked on but they won't help re this topic.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

I don't see a big problem. Here's example current prices:

US prices, B&H

5DII $1800
7D $1357
1DX $6800
5DIII $3400

CA prices, TheCameraStore/Aden

5DII $1800
7D $1284
1DX $6800 (CPS Canada $5950)
5DIII $3400

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Jim, typically bodies are equal in both countries. It's the lenses that hurt.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Cps Canada kicks USA butt.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #14 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Access wrote:

Those were my thoughts also.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM
sailingpilot
• •
p.1 #15 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

If Henry says he can help, believe it. That's been my experience...

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Usually I've found some decent savings buying lenses from B&H if they are anything other than the super telephoto lenses that are always cheaper in Canada anyways. Lately, I've noticed the pricing from the stores mentioned above are really close or even better than B&H. Right now with the current discounts a lot of lenses are equally priced in Canada. Also as Robert mentioned, with CPS membership you get about 8% off most L lenses so that usually will equal out the pricing even if the US is a better deal to start with.

However, for accessory type things like filters, batteries, memory cards etc.. B&H has way better pricing, sometimes you can save 50% on some accessories compared to Canadian prices. At least these new policies won't affect buying these type of accessories.

Oct 20, 2012 at 02:14 AM
misterOphoto

p.1 #17 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

This is good for Canon's authorized retailers in Canada. Many of them, who are still in business, might go out of business if this policy weren't enforced. If Canadians appreciate having a Canon store in their own town then this is ultimately good for them, too. Of course, it seems fair and would be nice to pay U.S. prices for Canon stuff anywhere on Earth. I live in New Zealand- they put THE HURT on us down here. Still, it's good to have local support so I support locally.

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:51 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

Many higher end gears are priced more favourably in Canada these days. Therefore, in those cases it becomes easy to spend our $$ at home and that way support local economy. Furthermore, the level of service one can get from their local brick-and-mortar camera store can not be matched by internet or foreign vendors.
Example: several weeks ago one still could not get a 600 II lens anywhere in Canada.
No vendor had any stock, and nobody knew when they might get some.
However, I had my local camera store work with Canon on my behalf. They managed to find two apparently "unallocated" lenses which Canon Canada might have set aside "just in case". Either way, they let me have one of them.

I still buy smaller accesories from US vendors because they are either much more expensive (or not available) in Canada, such as some specialized lens bags, replacement lens feet, Don Zeck's caps, memory cards, batteries, lens cleaning supplies etc.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Fr3lncr

p.1 #19 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

I thought part of all this was due to the new rules about not allowing products with rechargeable batteries to be shipped internationally (USPS apparently wont ship such items anymore and even UPS is adding restrictions effective Jan 1, 13 and B&H uses UPS to ship to Canada...).

Anyways, I'm on the side that this is a bad thing and believe it is more Canon Canada trying to screw their customers (whether it is due to outdated exchange rate beliefs or the sense they can segregate the market to maximize profits). I know the US is a much, much, much larger market than Canada and maybe that should result in a few perks but due to our proximity to the States, our dollar essentially at par (and sometimes higher), the internet making it easy to know what exactly everyone else is paying for, and offering common warranties, Canon seems to expect us to just live in a bubble and take it. If anything, all of the above should be taken into account to stabilize pricing between the U.S and Canada.

Now for sure in some cases this already exists and more so recently. I always used to buy locally (from Henry's) until I found out about B&H and then I started to buy my lenses from them and the bodies locally. Since my last body purchase (7D) I've seen bodies more often than not cheaper in Canada than the States and even some lenses (I bought a 70-200 F4 for cheaper at Henry's than it was at B&H though generally they are cheaper in the States). Again, the internet makes it easy to know where the cheaper price is so you can buy there and once you have that knowledge, its hard to take it away (thank you redflagdeals and photoprice!!).

The argument of buying locally used to have some perks for me as I always bought from the same guy and he would always try to give me his best price which was always cheaper than the sticker but when he left, none of the other employees would do anything for me even though I was going to the store for 5 years spending at least a few grand per year. At the end of the day, they were just a depot to bring the camera in anyways for them to ship it to Canon, something they will do regardless if you buy the camera their or not. So while my preference would be to buy locally (as it is easier to return if there is an issue), and for sure I would if the price was cheaper and probably would if it wasn't too much more expensive, I for sure wouldn't if the price difference was great.

My current situation is thinking about getting a 5D MKIII w 24-105. It's $3720 in the States and $4200 in Canada. I can't think of a lot of reasons that would get me to spend $500 more locally as that is just too great a savings. If it were just the 5DMKIII, then sure as the price is a bit cheaper in Canada right now but that's not what I'm getting.

My two cents. Rant/explanation over.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Harry.C
• •
p.1 #20 · Canon Stops B&H & others from shipping certain items to Canada

I like to support local whenever I can, but it's the hypocrisy of this that bothers me more than anything. Companies are free to "shop" elsewhere for cheaper manufacturing conditions, but they turn around and try to prevent their customers from doing the same thing.

In the case of camera lenses the difference between US and Canada can be enormous sometimes.

Regards,
Harry C

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password