Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

Uncle Mike
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

bobbytan wrote:
Having a different camera to shoot landscapes, portraits, and street photography is just silly ... unless you have very deep pockets.

A simple solution is to buy the best/sharpest camera system ... and use post/software to soften portraits and add noise to street photography, etc.

And that would be the OM-D IMO.

Considering how much money people around here spend on camera gear, it makes perfect sense to buy a camera optimized to what you want to shoot.

I do own more than one camera--unfortunately my selection of cameras isn't quite so well optimized for different subjects. A cheap old FF camera with 85mm lens for portraits, and a Nikon 3200 (24 MP!) for landscapes, for example.

Oct 25, 2012 at 07:43 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

That's the way to go if money is not an issue. I have friends who shoot with a 5D III and m43 ... and their M10 is on the way ...

Uncle Mike wrote:
Considering how much money people around here spend on camera gear, it makes perfect sense to buy a camera optimized to what you want to shoot.

I do own more than one camera--unfortunately my selection of cameras isn't quite so well optimized for different subjects. A cheap old FF camera with 85mm lens for portraits, and a Nikon 3200 (24 MP!) for landscapes, for example.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

Cross-posted:

I played around with the J1, V1, J2 and V2 today in the store, a large electronics super market, and although the cameras are great fun and really nice to operate, and the results look superficially good, I must admit to being quite disappointed at the acuity at ISO 800. The noise AND smudginess were just quite strong. I didn't see any major improvement in the 2nd generation cameras. This was all around ISO 800 with the 10-30 zoom.

On the other hand, I played with E-PL3 (which I own and know well), E-PL5 and E-M5 as well, and I was very pleased with the E-PL5, and will upgrade soonish. The E-M5 is a really nice camera, but I have to admit that I hate the mushiness of the buttons. The E-PL5 is so much better in that regard.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:47 AM
joezasada
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

in terms of IQ I am quite happy with my GX1, and very happy with my GH3 (although it's a tad big for 'compact' - but the lenses are small)

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:15 PM
ShadowWalker
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

+1. Great lens.

Lleuallen wrote:
Try the Panasonic 45-175. I thought is was not so hot when I used it on my GH2 but it really sings on the E-M5. The E-M5 IBIS seems to make the difference. I've used it quite a bit the last couple of weeks and Its performance amazes me.

A big plus is the small size and light weight. It handles very well on the camera.

Larry

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

Paul,

I'm curious as to what you found to be lacking in your NEX 5N images. Also, what lenses were you using with it.

If this thread was a poll, you'd definitely be ordering an OM-D, but it's not clear to me that OM-D images will be "better" than those from your 5N, depending of course on the lenses that you're using.

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:06 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

Paul, I have played with NEX 5N, NEX 7, OM-D and RX1. Clearly, OM-D and NEX 5N offer brilliant IQ IF you can't afford to use a full-size system. NEX 7 is already a cut above, and IQ soars when used with great Leica glass. As well it should, 'cause the price soars as well. RX1 has features you may or may not like. But the IQ clearly is "from a full-sized system", and not "from the best of the less-than-full-sized systems". That said, horses for courses....

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:22 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best Compact Mirrorless Digital Camera....

philber wrote:
Paul, I have played with NEX 5N, NEX 7, OM-D and RX1. Clearly, OM-D and NEX 5N offer brilliant IQ IF you can't afford to use a full-size system. NEX 7 is already a cut above, and IQ soars when used with great Leica glass. As well it should, 'cause the price soars as well. RX1 has features you may or may not like. But the IQ clearly is "from a full-sized system", and not "from the best of the less-than-full-sized systems". That said, horses for courses....

But the RX1 only offers a single focal length lens.

Rich

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:29 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.