Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · How would you price a double wedding?

JR PhotoNY
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How would you price a double wedding?

I received an inquiry yesterday from a possible client. And it turns out this person will be having a double wedding. She will be getting married at the same time along with another couple. After asking her a few questions here is what I gathered.

They will be renting a house out to use for the ceremony and both couples will be getting ready there. Both brides will be getting ready together in one room and the grooms together in another room. She mentioned that they don't mind taking pictures together but do want photo's alone as well. Small wedding of abou 60 guests as well. My wife is always my second shooter but on this date she can not assist me so I will have to pay someone to be my second. I know I have to incorporate that into my price. Has anyone dealt with a similar request? and how did you go about quoting the client a price?

Ro

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:35 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How would you price a double wedding?

Weird... I've never heard of anything like this.

Are you delivering photos to both couples or just the one? If you're only delivering pictures to one client, I'd be inclined to price it the same as any other wedding. I don't see the inclusion of the second couple as really mattering a whole lot (think of it as a larger bridal party).

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:38 PM
JR PhotoNY
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How would you price a double wedding?

I'm sure I would be delivering images to each couple. She mentioned that they both wanted seperate bride and groom portraits and some together as well.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:47 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How would you price a double wedding?

Are they getting married in the same ceremony or walking down the aisle one after another?

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:54 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How would you price a double wedding?

The reason why I ask is, you may want to add on some extra time since it's going to take more time to cover the separate parts.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:55 PM
asimsoofi
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How would you price a double wedding?

Charge 25-50% more or nothing extra.

/asim

Oct 19, 2012 at 05:51 PM
ashton lamont
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How would you price a double wedding?

I did one of these in the summer. Its really no different to a "normal" wedding as regards the work and logistics. Your gross shot count is likely to be higher than average but thats about it. Therefore you don't really need to charge extra unless your time onsite is substantially increased (separate issue is if you want to rather than need to charge extra). In my case lots of photographers were quoting as if it were two complete weddings and antagonising the clients because of that; they never stood a chance. One reason why these clients chose to have a joint wedding was to keep the total costs under tight control.

The only thing you need to beware of though is if they choose a package that includes an album you need to figure out how much to charge for a second album. Each album is bound to be different in the circumstances because each couple will have different tastes and selections - so you are unlikely to be able to take advantage of any duplicate album discount available from the manufacturer.

Pete

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:36 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How would you price a double wedding?

Have not done this in the past. But I will charge extra in this case. But not double the cost. Just ~20% extra since there will be extra work for sorting the photos for each couple and other post-service support.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:04 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How would you price a double wedding?

I'd charge about 30-50% extra to cover additional work and costs.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:14 PM
JR PhotoNY
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How would you price a double wedding?

Thanks for the help guys!

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZachOly
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How would you price a double wedding?

Similar to what others have said, I'd charge 1.5x your normal price.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:52 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How would you price a double wedding?

im different than everyone else here. I would charge less than 2 weddings, but not much less. Reason? You still have the responsibility of photographing two weddings, you still have the same liability and you will have about just as many photos to edit and deliver as 2 separates. I also think you HAVE to have a second photographer and possibly a 3rd or at the least an assistant just in case. This will be much more taxing on you than just one wedding by itself, I can promise you that. I think you will regret it otherwise.

They are trying to get a deal by having the weddings together, but may expect the same end produt if you were to do the 2 weddings separately.

Oct 19, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How would you price a double wedding?

If they can get another couple, buy 2 get one free .

Seriously though, the ceremony isnt together right? I am with Daboyle.

Oct 19, 2012 at 08:41 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How would you price a double wedding?

You've got two sets of clients. Each bride gets her own contract. You're not the same as some of the other vendors, who are delivering all their goods and services at the same time, to be consumed together. Your end product is two sets of photographs, which may have some overlapping elements, but nevertheless are distinct products. Help her understand this first, before negotiating price.

Then, you need to know how much overlap there actually is.
+ Are they two separate ceremonies just held right in a row, or are both couples "at the altar" at the same time?
+ Do you have two entirely distinct bridal parties (i.e., different best men, maids of honor, bridesmaids and groomsmen), or are they entirely the same group, or are a few people common to both groups? (This affects how you shoot the bridal party images, especially how you schedule and decide locations.)
+ Are they sharing the reception as well?

Off the cuff, I'd expect to need three photographers for this kind of event if they're at the same locations the entire day. Four shooters if they split locations at some point (i.e., different ceremony or reception locations). A second shooter split between the two primary shooters can probably get you the alternative-perspective coverage you want, but even if the couples are at the same reception, you'll want reaction shots of both couples, etc., at key moments. You'll probably want to be able to do the bridal party shots at the same time to get the couples to the reception on time. If the couples have different bridal party members, having two active primary shooters working two simultaneous shoots means you can get that done.

I agree with Daboyle -- this is maybe a 20% discount on each of the two individual contracts. But the amount of work on your end will be substantially similar to two full weddings. The key is helping the brides understand that shooting is only a fraction of the total work represented by your fee.

Oct 19, 2012 at 08:49 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How would you price a double wedding?

Twice the brides, twice the price. This does not make your job EASIER, it makes it harder.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:08 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How would you price a double wedding?

80% of normal price because it will be so cool.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:20 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How would you price a double wedding?

There's some greedy mofo's up in here. There is not that much more involved here. As a matter of fact, you could actually deliver the same product to both if you really wanted to. I would; with very little changes in the delivery system.

I say 25-50% off the second ifs fair if it is still only two photographers, no additional travel, etc.. If there actually was twice the work, I'd agree with some of you; but there simply is not.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How would you price a double wedding?

I dont think its greedy - business wise it is smart. You have more potential for issues to go awry, you have double the liability, which if something goes wrong its both weddings at stake. Very little wiggle room, many more pictures, less down time, twice as many people to deal with ( not numbers wise, but MOB's, FOB's, BOBs, family members etc. ) and that's why I would charge more than a single wedding. Heck Id rather do 2 days back to back than this. Ive been around long enough to realize things do go wrong in a wedding. Not if, but when. ANd now you are dealing with 2 weddings and schedules and a possible interference with both for reception time events - and if you dont have another photographer, and charge for the extra hassle, then in the end you have done yourself, as a business a complete disservice. How are you SURE it wont be much more involved? I mean really, I dont see the logic....... 2 x the brides, 2 sets of guests, both want photos of their special day, and both want you to do that for each of them in the SAME time frame and date. That's not easier than a single wedding, not even by a long shot.

While I want people to get excellent service and be happy with my prices, I am ultimately doing it to put food on my table for my time and experience. Thats not greedy at all. It would be selfish to not hire a second photographer and possibly a third given the circumstances just so I could charge them less and pocket more myself - THAT would be greedy.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:47 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How would you price a double wedding?

Does your liability insurance cost increase? Does your gear insurance cost increase? Does your travel expense increase? With 60 guests, do you really consider it twice as much?

The fact is, there is not 100%, 90%, or even 75% more work here. There is most likely a very nominal amount of additional work. As I see it, there is maybe a 20% increase in shooting, and a few more hours of designing separate delivery packages - that's about it. I think pulling in 50% more for the day far surpasses covering that little amount of work.

I guess I just have a conscience and do not like raping my clients.

It's apparent you did not read the OP very well.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How would you price a double wedding?

wow youare coming off quite hastily and a little jerkishly. Just because you and I may have different ways of running our business, does not mean you need to be rude about it. I read the OP's post quite well thank you.

This is not an issue of the amount of work, but rather the stress and the logistics, planning, experience, preparation and difficulty involved.

If a family comes to a wedding and wants you to pull aside from the bride and groom and spend 25 minutes just taking photos of them for a christmas card, do you do it? Id snap a couple photos to be cordial, but not 25 min worth - they are not going to piggyback like that. I mean after all they could simply say I already traveled there, I already have insurance, I already have my cameras set up, its only 25 minutes, I already have lights set up at the formals, etc.... It's a silly argument.

The more work I do, the more liability and chance there is for equipment to get damaged, get stolen, etc. I have less leeway with 2 wedding parties ( EVEN if they are small ), I would in fact if my gear got stolen be much more liable because there would be TWO weddings to deal with, not just one, and the insurance argument is silly - Insurance is a fee per wedding, not discounted if there are two weddings together. A business is NOT about breaking even, nor is it about taking advantage of clients. It is about preparing for rainy days, making a living, hopefully growing and serving your customers. This is not to say You are wrong or I am right, just that we have differing opinions on the subject at hand. To try and belittle someone claiming they dont have a conscience because they run their business different than you makes you come off as a complete A-hole. ridiculous.

You are obviously very skilled from your portfolio and do things well for yourself, so that is awesome - kudos to you. My business also does well, but may be a slightly different model than yours. That doesnt make me immoral, without conscience, greedy or a scum bag, or "raping" my clients.

I come on fm to discuss and share points of view from other professionals. Not to act like a know it all or to try and let my ego get in the way of what could be a civilized conversation. Please don't have a conversation with me unless you can do it in a grown up manner. FM is not the place to try and start or cause drama. please.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password