Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

Not sure if anyone would have the answer to this question, but currently I own a B+W 77mm 3.0 ND 110 Filter. I'm considering a 16-35 II in the future when I move on to FF. Would a step down ring + the filter above cause any mechanical vignetting?

I was considering a LEE setup, but I really don't want to go that route, even though I have a Big Stopper sitting at home

I appreciate any replies! Thanks

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:19 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

The 77mm filter will be a real problem with the 16-35, it is too wide. You will need to go to 4x4 or min. 82mm filters.
It will crop you photos back to 77mm.
Sorry, I had to do the same thing.
Call 2filters and they can share their knowledge with you.
Best wishes.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

Yes, it will cut into the image area, more at the UWA settings and less at the "long" focal lengths.

I tried to do this as well, just because I had do many 77mm filters on hand. IIRC, it was okay at 35mm setting, but around 28mm vignetting set in, and encroached on the image circle at somewhere around 20mm, and was rounded sides at 16mm. In a pinch, where you can later crop, the idea will work and you can use something like your ND or Grad ND filters. But you will be losing equivalent focal length by cropping.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:39 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling this would be the answer. If I do decide to get the 16-35 II over the 17-40 I need to make a decision on going the 82mm route or Lee filter setup. Such a hard decision between those 2 lenses as each has its positives and negatives with its significant price difference.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

If you're only shooting landscapes go for the 17-40; once you stop down there's no real difference in performance, and you can stick with your 77mm filters. The only reason for getting the 16-35 is if you need to use it at f/2.8

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

John Caldwell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

Would need to do test rather than speculate on the FL at which vignetting will occur on FF camera, but I suspect you'll be fine at 35mm, ok @ 28, in trouble below 24.

John-

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

Thanks, I would want the option to use it at all FL's, especially I often go 10-11mm on ASP-C. The reason I'm considering the 16-35 over the 17-40 is mainly for the ocassions I want to do nightscapes (although if I did go 17-40 I was considering the Samyang 14 or rent a 24L as needed) and for other needs such as portraits engagements, second shoot a wedding, and other reasons I would benefit from the speed. However a big reason I may choose the 17-40 is as you mentioned scott is 77mm filters and the cost savings since I'm always on the wifey budget

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

I like the Samyang over the 16-35/2.8 for nightscapes. The 16-35 does create a beautiful sunstar and the 17-40 does not. Something to consider if you shoot a lot of sunsets or city lights.

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:18 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

This thread, and my comments, had been nagging at the edge of my mind since I posted my replies.

Well, I guess this is where the bullshit ends and reality sets in!

By that I mean my recall of the effects of the step-down ring and 77mm filters = bullshit. Memory isn't nearly as accurate as concrete testing. That's the bad news. (The good news is that I'm willing to check my claim.)

The good news for OP boingyman is that he should be happier than he was a few minutes ago.

I was in a similar situation to the OP, having received a windfall of really nice 77mm filters, including two B+W PL (one a Kasseman), as well as a couple Grad ND. So I had an interest in getting the most use out of them that I could. Since I'd been moving slightly away from 77mm threaded lenses for nature, that left me wanting to see if they would work on 16-35II. I tried, and wasn't too impressed at the time, hoping for completely clear field of view without vignetting, or not much vignetting. Since I got some at the wide end, I lost interest.

Here's a quick update of test shots with the 16-35II shot f/2.8 (should be least defined vignetting, but wider pattern) and 7.1 (should show sharper edge pattern on vignette circle). These are shot at middle distance, focused on the middle upright white post. Closer up would reduce the vignette circle, infinity would slightly increase its intruding into the image. I also shot a couple shots at near infinity and f/8 to see the effects.

This is what the front of the lens looks like with step down ring with Hoya UV (thin) and B+W CPL (normal thickness).

The thicker B+W was used for the test shots.

I sort of apologize for the banal backyard subject matter. (Hey, look, it's overcast in Southern California!) I'm only interested in documenting the answer to the post, not aesthetics (at this time). Hope you find the results self explanatory.

Here are the f/2.8 shots.

16mm

20mm

25mm

28mm

35mm

f/7.1
16mm

20mm

25mm

28mm

35mm

Near infinity at f/8.0.
16mm

35mm

16mm

35mm

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:44 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 16-35 II + step down ring + 77mm ND110 - Vignetting?

Gunzorro - I appreciate the testing. I think the bottom line comes down to the budget for me as 2013 will involve a lot of spending on other priorities.

Wengler - Thanks for your input. So is it too late for me to shoot the Alviso Slough now that it's raining! Great landscape work.

I guess if I do get the 16-35, I will just get a Lee setup.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password