Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Roses Are Red ...

Or not.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Roses Are Red ...

As an ex rose grower who did his share of rose shots, I can see this is very nicely done getting texture is tough and some roses tend to blow red and yellow channels. But I am pretty sure this is not the color, perhaps the red hinted at?

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Roses Are Red ...

Perhaps ...

Actually, the original is red, but even though the camera histogram showed the right side to be less than one stop past middle gray ... the red channel was still pushing 230-245. As such, this is another lemonade shot.

I went to shoot another floral a few weeks back and it too was blown in the red channel ... prompting me to try and reign this one in with the histogram very near to middle gray.

Can you give a guy a clue @ what the deal is with the red channel blowing so easily despite exposure being so low? Or is there something that I am fundamentally missing that should be considered here?

sooc raw-jpg crop resized

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:47 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Roses Are Red ...

Hi Kent, I never solved the problem. I did tend to use my underexposed brackets though. Yellow headed black birds have the same issue, I eventually resorted to shooting YHBB on days with a bit of cloud cover. Just a tiny bit and that was a hard thing to find.

I grew roses and very few had great backgrounds or decent light angle plus I was never able to get focus where I wanted. Some of my better ones were taken with a 500mm lens which really blurs out the background.

By the way, this red one is great, I don't think I can improve on it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:03 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Roses Are Red ...

You might try taking a red channel from and underexposed copy and combining it with the green and blue channels of a properly exposed version. Maybe try blending red channel layers and using the blended re layer with proper green and blue layers. As I recall from some different experiments I did a while back, compositing independent color channels was tricky but do-able.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Roses Are Red ...

Thanks Karen.

I plan to learn channels this year, so this might make for a good impetus for doing so. Kinda like 2011 was the year I set to embark on layers.

But, to Ben's point in the other thread @ PP solutions vs. technical captures, I'm thinking this one is better served on the capture side to not blow a channel in the first place. I'm just kinda bewildered at why I'm blowing red channels so readily, even when I'm underexposing the image to begin with.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Roses Are Red ...

Kent, I took a shot at it and lost it somehow. But I did not find any blown channels. I managed a bit more sat on red but this seemed to me like a pretty mature and well done shot as is.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.