New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 35mm for Canon

timothyd

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35mm for Canon

Hey guys! I'm looking for a 35mm for my 5D MKIII. I've done research, but I would like to hear from some people who have used the lens - especially the Zeiss lens, since they are less common.

I'm looking for not only the sharpest lens, but the most accurate with the least distortion, the best color, ect. Also, consider the price. Is the Zeiss 1.4 that much better than the 2.0, or maybe a better question is "is the difference from 1.4 to 2.0 that much?"

For you guys who have used either Zeiss and Canon, which did you like the best and why?

Thanks!
Timothy

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35mm for Canon

Hi timothyd -- Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you can live without AF. In that case, the Zeiss ZE are both nice, with the 1.4 being the best regarded. But it is large and heavy -- more so than the "L".

I had the ZE 2.0 and although it was good, I didn't care for the heavy light falloff and lack of AF. I sold it and rely on my Samyang 35/1.4 and 16-35L II and 24-70L. I've since bought the "old" EF 35/2 for its AF and am very happy with it at smaller apertures -- almost matches the "L" at 5.6 and on. The 1.4L would be better, I'm well covered without it.

I know you want some super glass, but don't overlook owning the Samyang 1.4 and EF 2.0, both of which are pretty impressive in their ways, and together can be had new for less than the ZE 2.0 used. And used, you can get the two lenses for around $500 and have super fast, and AF.

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:26 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35mm for Canon

Canon 40mm/2.8 pancake.
Less than $200, one of the sharpest and most fun lenses I have owned

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:29 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35mm for Canon

Since 5D3 does not have the option to use a high precision matte screen, I am voting for 35L.

And the 40 STM really does rock.

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:53 PM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35mm for Canon

I'm actually interested to see how the newly announced Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is going to fare against all the other offerings. 35 seems to be well-done by canon - both the f/2 and theL are very solid contenders in the AF lens department.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35mm for Canon

I own both Zeiss lenses. And the Canon before that. Zeiss 35/1,4 is outstanding

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35mm for Canon

How about a suggestion for what kind of shooting you want to do with it. I think that makes a huge difference.

Unless there's a reason to go with the MF optics, I think AF options will serve most photographers better. But your shooting goals may rule one or the other out. So that's an important consideration.

You say that you're after the best. But that depends on the use.

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:13 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35mm for Canon

It is not as simple as the more expensive a lens is, the better it is at all qualities.

You mention distortion. Among these very good 35 mm primes, all have visible distortion, between 1.5 and 2%. If you really want low distortion, the best option would be a 24-70 mm zoom as 35 mm is in the sweet spot here where distortion is at a minimum. The Canon 24-70 F/2.8 II L also has very low lateral chromatic aberrations at 35 mm.

The 3 lenses mentioned in the poll all have different areas where they are better than the rest.
For best center sharpness at f/1.4: Canon 35L
For best sharpnesss across the frame at f/1.4: Zeiss 35 F/1.4
For best sharpness at f/2: Zeiss 35 F/2
For best sharpness all around stopped down: Zeiss 35 F/1.4
For lowest lateral chromatic aberrations: Zeiss 35 F/1.4, then Canon 35L

The color and general look from all these lenses is excellent, but personal taste decides if people like Canon or Zeiss, especially how it looks in areas that are not in focus or perfect focus.

If manual focus, size, weight and cost is no concern, the Zeiss 35 F/1.4 is the best all around performer IMO, but it does have visible distortion, vignetting and defocus color fringing. The other ones don't really solve those issues either, and the last two are common wide aperture phenomena.

If you don't need F/1.4 or F/2.0, I would give the 24-70 2.8 II L a serious look.

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:47 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35mm for Canon

Zeiss might be excellent optics but they should work on AF for Canon mount So, 35L!

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:50 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 35mm for Canon

I have the Canon 35/1.4 L which I consider an excellent lens. But I have never used any of the Zeiss lenses, so I can't speak about their performance.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:46 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 35mm for Canon

I don't have the 35/1.4L, yet, nor do I have the ZE35/1.4.
I did however, just repurchased the excellent Contax/Yashica Zeiss 35/1.4
This was my favorite lens, before it was stolen, thus the painful repurchase.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:48 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 35mm for Canon

if you want autofocus, 35L. if you can live without, samyang 35 1.4.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:55 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 35mm for Canon

I have a 35L but prefer using the Canon 40mm F2.8 STM outdoors
the 40mm f2.8 has very good image quiality
I use the Canon lens hood and sometimes a screw in metal 58mm lens hood on it

I only find the 35L has an advantage when I need F1.4-F2.8

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM
faremax
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 35mm for Canon

Another vote for 40mm pancake. If having a fast lens is not top priority then you should definitely consider it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 35mm for Canon

kevindar wrote:
if you want autofocus, 35L. if you can live without, samyang 35 1.4.

Agreed. The Samyang is excellent, but I decided I needed AF so I sold it and went 35L. I've never used the Zeiss, so it could be better, but I'd be surprised if it is enough better to justify the price difference.

Also, realize that the poll results are kinda worthless. There are far more people who have used the 35L, and very few who have used Zeiss and 35L. So the results will be skewed toward the Canon.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 35mm for Canon

While I could use any of these, and I have other L primes, I have found that the humble little Canon EF 35mm f/2 is a fine performer in a wide range of shooting situations, and I value its small size and light weight. (I also sometimes get a certain ironic pleasure when shooting next to someone ostentatiously shooting with their new Really Big Lens since I know that my photograph will be at least as good. ;-)

Dan

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 35mm for Canon

This is such a difficult question!

I finally voted. No surprise, I chose the 35L. For my style of shooting, I prefer to have AF as an option. This lens is in need of a redo, and would be even better with IS added.

I don't like an excessively bulky or expensive prime lens -- I'm always worrying about the lens, not getting the shot. This was my problem with the Zeiss ZE 21/2.8 -- always treating it gingerly, so would leave it home and use something else. Once I found I could easily get by without it (same for the ZE 35/2, after buying the Samyang), it was just a small bank account waiting to be cashed in. That, and the various lens aberrations, are what keep me from pursuing Zeiss lenses, at least for the time being.

But if cost, bulk, lack of AF, and Zeiss-style image idiosyncrasies aren't an issue, the ZE 35/1.4 is the best lens of those listed. Too many "ifs" for me at this time.

Agreeing with both Kevin (Samyang 35/1.4) and Dan (EF 35/2), I can get by well enough for now owning these two lenses, plus the couple "L" zooms that have 35mm included.

The 40/2.8 STM is a pretty awesome lens. Mine is in to Canon for adjustment for unflat focus plane (weak right side and field curvature). But otherwise, it has great sharpness and very nice OOF edges wide open, if you can live with 2.8.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM
adamo99
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 35mm for Canon

umihoshijima wrote:
I'm actually interested to see how the newly announced Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is going to fare against all the other offerings.

Agreed- I have been waiting for this lens for years. If it performs as well as their 50 and 85, I will add one to my kit.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 35mm for Canon

I had the 35mm f/2 and really liked it. I used it when I needed f/2. Otherwise, I would use my 24-70mm f2.8 L. I thought we were a happy family.

Recently, I adopted the 35mm L. I'm irritated at how sharp it is compared to the 35mm f2 and 24-70L. I'm not afraid to use it at f1.4 either. Color and contrast was nicer too.

Can't wait until the new 24-70II come down in price. In the meantime, my 35mm f2 is going away and the 24-70 is my backup or when I need a zoom handy.

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:05 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 35mm for Canon

I have the Zeiss ZE 35 f/1.4. I love it. It has great colour and lovely bokeh IMO. At f/1.4 it is reasonably sharp and works wonderfully for portraits. Stopped down it is extremely sharp with very good rendition of fine details. Manual focus takes time and practice to learn well, but personally I appreciate composing and focussing without considering AF points, and have no trouble getting good in focus results regularly. Below are a few recent shots with the lens that were taken at my son's birth.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.