New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

jimtron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

I recently bought a (late 2011) Macbook Pro, and got a Spyder 4 Pro for calibration. I also have an NEC 2490Wuxi display that I calibrate with a Spectraview i1 puck and software that came with the NEC. The Spectraview software doesn't support the MBP display.

After calibrating the MBP with the Spyder, blacks look quite greenish. In LR, grayscale images look green and kind of bronzed. On my NEC, everything looks great--very neutral. I'm using the latest version of the Spyder Pro 4 software, and OS X 10.8.2.

Anyone have any ideas about why my color is off? I had the lights out when I calibrated, screen saver/sleep off.

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:33 PM
k7xd
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

What color temperature do you have the display set to?

If I remember right out of the box the color temp and brightness are set way up there
to dazzle the unsuspecting.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:38 PM
k7xd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

Double Post

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:39 PM
jimtron
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

6500k, 2.2 gamma.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:52 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

Are you certain that the MBP screen and the NEC screen are using different colour profiles ?

I use an i1 Display Pro with my MBP and get good results with the same 6500K, 2.2 gamma. I use brightness of anywhere from 90 to 140 Cd/m2 depending on the environment and software that I'm using. I haven't tried using higher brightness levels.

Oct 19, 2012 at 05:12 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

I dont have/use a Spyder but it's not unusual for the darkest tones to be slightly off-color. Check to see if there is a setting in the Spyder software that allows for better gray tracking for dark colors.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:45 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

Don't you have a period of free tech support with the purchase of the Spyder. Perhaps you could see if they know of any special problems with the MBP/OS 10.8.

It appears that you followed what I consider the best procedure in calibrating - lights off, etc. I think this is probably irrelevant since you probably started from factory-default settings, but try opening the ColorSync Utility, go to the DevicesTab, and find your MBP, click on the little arrow next to your current calibration profile and choose 'Return to Factory'. Then recalibrate. I do this every time I recalibrate my iMac display - with Spyder 3.

Oct 20, 2012 at 05:52 AM
jimtron
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spyder 4 and MBP problem

Thanks for the responses folks, and sorry for the delayed response. I carefully recalibrated both monitors several times, and finally they are looking very close. I'm not sure what was going wrong before, probably user error.

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:23 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.