New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Missed the Weekly Assignment Deadline - Other Photographers

karmaportrait

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Missed the Weekly Assignment Deadline - Other Photographers

So, I missed the deadline to submit my images (womp womp) so let me know what you think of these three. I was going to submit #2.

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:04 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Missed the Weekly Assignment Deadline - Other Photographers

could you explain what the assignment was.

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:52 PM
karmaportrait

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Missed the Weekly Assignment Deadline - Other Photographers

it was the weekly challenge here at FM - topic 'Other Photographers'

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:11 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Missed the Weekly Assignment Deadline - Other Photographers

Interesting that the photos you took are 4 blocks from where I live, so I know the area intimately: Union Square/NYC, looking north up Broadway. All the shots you took were from the backs of the photographers. Could you explain why you chose that approach. Don't want to sound harsh, but I don't find these compositions compelling, but maybe I'm missing something.

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Missed the Weekly Assignment Deadline - Other Photographers

I think there are several ways to strengthen these comps. One is, as suggested above, to have the photographer's personality/attention more directly indicated with some facial expression, squint, positioning.
Without that content you might consider a shot that more clearly shows the capture of the scene on the back of the camera, echoing the actual scene the photographer is taking. I think you'd need a close up of the camera to fill enough of the frame to make it a subject within a subject more effectively.

Scott

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:24 PM
karmaportrait

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Missed the Weekly Assignment Deadline - Other Photographers

thanks for the feedback and i agree.

my original concept was to capture people taking photos while having another well known attraction behind them. for example, on wall st people are always taking photos of the george washington statue with the stock exchange right behind them. didn't have time to make it down there so i went with the 'capture and image within the image' angle, but this did leave behind the face of the photographer and with it what you both point out as missing.

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:48 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Missed the Weekly Assignment Deadline - Other Photographers

It would be better, conceptually for that topic, to photograph a photographer photographing another photographer - visual recursion. ... Perhaps photographing another photographer....

Alternately, photograph a photographer between two mirrors - deep vanishing other photographers.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:37 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.