Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Todd Klassy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Ugh.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

A little OT, but since we're all discussing 1DX firmware.... did anyone notice degradation of AI-Servo tracking consistency with the update to 1.06 from the previous version (1.02, I think)? I updated to it a few weeks ago and have had a notable number of sports action sequences where the AF totally lost the subject mid sequence, which was much less of an occurrence at pre-update events...

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:06 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

mine flashes red when I move them in both oneshot and servo...

what is this supposed to do again.. I cant test the F8 yet.. I dont have any lens that slow

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:07 PM
pompo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

its a joke... I turned it off already! oh man...

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:08 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

pompo wrote:
its a joke... I turned it off already! oh man...

how so.. people wanted "red" right ..

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:18 PM
pompo
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

man it blinks like a police car...all of the grid blinking! thats crazy I leave the sucker off

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:23 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

rscheffler wrote:
A little OT, but since we're all discussing 1DX firmware.... did anyone notice degradation of AI-Servo tracking consistency with the update to 1.06 from the previous version (1.02, I think)? I updated to it a few weeks ago and have had a notable number of sports action sequences where the AF totally lost the subject mid sequence, which was much less of an occurrence at pre-update events...

I seem to have noticed a bit of a performance drop on very fast targets.....just today my 1DX felt like 1DMkIIN....however, I made a mental note of it, but I haven't done enough shooting today to be able to form any more definitive conclusion. However, something does feel fishy.
More testing tomorrow.

That is a problem with updating a product on a piecemeal basis after the design had been done......a firmware update may fix one thing and inadvertently cause problems elsewhere.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:26 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Pompo that is horrible news. I'm disgusted at the moment. This is the best Canon could do? Seriously?

I sure would like to meet the moron at Canon who approved this VF illumination change. He must be the single biggest imbecile in Japan.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:32 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

pompo wrote:
man it blinks like a police car...all of the grid blinking! thats crazy I leave the sucker off

if the whole grid blinks it's because you have it set that way in the AF menu.. mine is set so that only the current AF box blink when it's moved.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:41 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

rscheffler wrote:

PetKal wrote:
I seem to have noticed a bit of a performance drop on very fast targets.....just today my 1DX felt like 1DMkIIN....however, I made a mental note of it, but I haven't done enough shooting today to be able to form any more definitive conclusion. However, something does feel fishy.
More testing tomorrow.

That is a problem with updating a product on a piecemeal basis after the design had been done......a firmware update may fix one thing and inadvertently cause problems elsewhere.

Thanks Peter. I'll be interested in your thoughts on this, and maybe it will be worth starting a separate thread.

The only reason I updated was because I like the feature that remembers separate AF point selections for horizontal and vertical shots... but turning on this feature caused it to often forget MFA settings (though figured out if the camera was set to never sleep, it at least wouldn't lose the MFA during a session), which 1.06 fixed...

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:48 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Why not steady illumination the blinking is distracting.........................

Andy

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

steady would be more distracting to me...

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM
pompo
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

spdntrxi wrote:
if the whole grid blinks it's because you have it set that way in the AF menu.. mine is set so that only the current AF box blink when it's moved.

I know that, I tried to set it as you said, but then I won't know where "I can go" with my af point, AND the halo/glare still shows everywhere as well even if I set it as you said.

Edited on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM
ifxbonz
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

spdntrxi wrote:
steady would be more distracting to me...

Thats what other 1d models do.

Hope my epilepsy doesn't kick in............

Andy

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Just got it installed and gave it a brief test. I think I'm happy with it. For context I haven't run into daylight issues, only low light where I can't see the focus point. I shoot mainly in One Shot mode, with single focus point.

I set mine up to for Low Illumination mode, and I've got the DOF Preview/MFn button configured to toggle from One Shot to AI Servo.

What I'll do in the future is use the front MFn button to toggle AI Servo on, which also activates the blinking focus point allowing me to both find the point and focus simultaneously. I can let go of the MFn button if I want AI servo off and just hold my composition. Essentially I can turn on the blinking when I need it, not all the time.

I don't think it will be a distraction for outdoor use in proper AI servo mode, since the blinking isn't very noticeable in brighter conditions. Overall I'm pleased with the update and will use it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM
pompo
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

I'll have to try that

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

An older CR post comes to mind:
there is a “solution coming” that “may not be ideal for everyone”

You've been warned

Oct 18, 2012 at 01:01 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

arbitrage wrote:
Don't see any reason why the illumination couldn't be added. Also there is probably no reason the f/8 couldn't be added but I could see Canon holding this part back just to differentiate the cameras more. I really hope Canon will update the 5D3 with both these improvements but I won't hold my breath.

PS. We really need some thread merging!

f/8 focus has always been a 1D only feature no?

So either,
1. Canon hadn't quite finished the AF algorithm and rushed the 1DX or...
2. Canon relented to the numerous requests/complaints and decided to add it.

Either way, it must be a big relief for many 1DX owners.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:38 AM
Gust
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

fredmaurer wrote:
Good news this is available. Bad news is it doesn't work with Mountain Lion 10.8.2!

why, it doesn't work in ML?
I'm using 10.8.2, downloaded normally and extracted also, so what's the problem?

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Most waited Canon 1D X firmware v1.1.1 released!

Did anyone try autofocusing at f/8? If so, what are the initial impressions on speed/accuracy? To me, this was the biggest 'plus' of this update.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.