Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Senior Portrait session

JPJ2007
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Senior Portrait session

It's that time of year. Senior Sessions.

Only having a 5D Classic, Canon 85 1.8, and a DIY ring light for my diy home studio
i'm looking for some C&C

Thanks. She got 27 in total. Here's a few I thought were good.

1. I like how this one turned out. Typical Rail Road however I still like it.

12. One of my top two favorite....

Thank you

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:13 PM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #2 · Senior Portrait session

#8 pose looks really awkward and stiff.

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:15 PM
JPJ2007
• •
p.1 #3 · Senior Portrait session

I agree.

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:14 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Senior Portrait session

I think they will enjoy the photos, but here are some of my initial thoughts, take it for what its worth...

1. I think that her upward glance and expression match the body language of her hands. Her hips are straight forward and carrying equal weight on each leg, I think its better to show more curves in the hips, so weight adjusted to one side would be better. Also, her right leg looks weird because its hard to see the bend in the knee, and it creates an optical illusion that her leg is shorter than the other.
3. It's always a good rule of thumb to show both arms if an arm is present in the photo...one is hiding behind the tree, something I call "amputated limb" syndrome.
4. Posing straight on will almost always make a person look wider, larger, especially when the arms add width to the body. Make her look thinner by turning her a bit more and showing the waist by position the arms away from the body a bit more.
5. It appears that her weight is adjusted to the front leg, which would accentuate it more than it should. I would also try to bring her knees closer together which will help make the "hourglass" figure and make her look slimmer.
6. Crossing the knees would have helped with the "hourglass" curves, and her hand placement makes it look very "posed"...I think having her lean back on an arm, or lean forward onto a knee (if crossed) makes it look more human and natural.
7. Similar comments to #5
8. Her left hand pointed inwards looks unnatural to me, and her right forearm, due to the camera angle, looks really really short, so watch for how their limbs are angled to the camera as it can make them look shorter than they really are. Also, the camera only sees one leg, but two knees...try and show the other leg by adjusting the height of the knees a bit more, usually in this pose the front would be higher than the other.
9. This is much better posing! The knees coming together helps make her look slimmer, and if you had "tucked" her right elbow behind her waist a bit more it would have made her waist line slimmer as well. Also, her left hand could have been raised up the waist a bit higher and pushed inwards...so right hand and left elbow coming together draws the waist slimmer.
10. Posture and hands, they look tired

I hope any of this helps! I'm certainly not trying to point out flaws or attack, but just suggestions on how you can improve and make things better!

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:43 PM

Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Senior Portrait session

Canon 5D and 85 1.8 combo are amazing, so never make apologies for that.

My one comment is that I'd love to see some wider, environmental shots. If that means taking it from a hundred yards away with the 85 then so be it. But I think that would add some much needed variety to the set.

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:13 PM
JPJ2007
• •
p.1 #6 · Senior Portrait session

Thanks I really appreciate it. I think my largest problem is I didn't really pose her....

I said, Stand here. or against that tree and lean on it, etc.... I need to get into
and learn how to pose a subject.... Perhaps it's why I enjoy
action/natural shots as apposed to posed shots.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do this weekend, I have a couple of more shoots.
I have a 7d kit lens but it's not as nice iq as the 85 1.8.

Oct 17, 2012 at 05:09 PM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #7 · Senior Portrait session

In my opinion, there is a balance to posing vs. natural. But especially with seniors, most clients come to you to help them look good, even better than they naturally are. And then consider the fact that most people will feel (and thus act) very unnatural when being photographed in public, you really have to give guidance.

I often start where you did, by telling my client to "stand here" or "go lean on that". Then I tell them they look great as I start shooting to get my exposure and lighting worked out. Then I tweak the posing (using a lot of the same techniques Spencer recommended above) before I am ready to take the "real" shot. Never square to the camera if the hips are included (for girls), almost never with the arms hanging straight down, weight almost always on the back leg, etc.

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:06 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password