New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

Canon U.S.A. Expands The EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera Autofocus Capabilities With New Firmware Update
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
From Canon USA:

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 17, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update in response to user requests which further enhances the capabilities of Canon's flagship EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. The EOS-1D X will now be capable of AF point illumination during AI Servo AF and cross-type AF for maximum apertures as small as f/8. The new firmware update is available now at no charge from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.

AF Point Illumination During AI Servo AF
To support the needs of wedding, portrait, sports, wildlife, and theatrical performance photographers working in low light, the new firmware allows AF points in the EOS-1D X's viewfinder to be illuminated in red when the shutter button is pressed halfway during AI Servo AF, for easy viewing of the selected point. This valuable feature will enhance the photographers' ability to aim the camera accurately in low-light conditions, and when photographing dark subjects. To preserve exposure-metering accuracy, illumination is intermittent, not continuous. Three choices will be selectable from the menu system - Non-illuminated, Illuminated (Normal) and Illuminated (Brighter).

Cross-Type AF Support at f/8
The EOS-1D X is equipped with an innovative 61-point High Density Reticular AF System featuring up to 41 cross-type AF points, depending on the lens in use. The cross-type AF points recognize a wide variety of subject matter, making them highly desirable for maximum autofocus performance. Until now, cross-type AF on the EOS-1D X has been limited to EF lenses and lens/extender combinations with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or larger. The new firmware allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point even when the maximum aperture of a Canon EF lens/extender combination becomes as small as f/8. Ideal for wildlife photographers and others who often use EF super-telephoto lenses with extenders, this new feature greatly expands the range of EF lens/extender combinations that support autofocus when used with the EOS-1D X.

If AF point expansion is selected with an f/8 maximum aperture lens/extender combination, the four AF points surrounding the center point will act as AF Assist points. This option effectively expands the size of the AF detection area to enhance autofocus performance with subjects that are small in the frame and difficult to track, such as small animals and birds in flight. AF points above and below the center will be sensitive to vertical contrast, while points to the left and right will be sensitive to horizontal contrast.

Canon 1D X Autofocus Group

Please visit the following website for complete information on the firmware update:
http://www.usa.canon.com/eos1dxfirmwareupdate

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:58 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

Wow, I wonder if 5D3 will get these fixes, too.

The EOS-1D X will now be capable of AF point illumination during AI Servo AF and cross-type AF for maximum apertures as small as f/8.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:00 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

Is this for real? can't find information on this anyware!

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:17 AM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

mco_970 wrote:
Wow, I wonder if 5D3 will get these fixes, too.

It'd be very nice, but considering all bodies outside the 1D lines have never had above f/5.6, I highly doubt that the 5DIII will get it. Not an impossibility, but for me highly improbable...

What really stinks, is that it's a "simple" firmware update apparently, why not write one in for other cameras, even as a nominal cost to upgrade the FW to achieve it!!! Having the option would be awesome!!! Would love a 7D update to be able to achieve f/8 functionallity!!!

Edited on Oct 17, 2012 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:18 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

WOW! huge news if this is for real.. the f/8 fix is great, & hopefully the AF illumination situation is somewhat improved by this..

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:19 AM
gocolts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

reno.peterson wrote:
It'd be very nice, but considering all bodies outside the 1D lines have never had above f/5.6, I highly doubt that the 5DIII will get it. Not an impossibility, but for me highly improbable...

What really stinks, is that it's a "simple" firmware update apparently, why not write one in for other cameras, even as a nominal cost to upgrade the FW to achieve it!!! Having the option would be awesome!!! Would love a 7D update to be able to achieve f/8 functionallity!!!

If it were simple...I wonder if someone could "hack" the 7D to allow AF at f/8?

But, the reality is that for the best "reach" and f/8 combo, I still think a used 1D MKIV is the best bet...I'm still waiting on prices to come down a little more...

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:25 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

It is possible to see f/8 AF for the 5D3 considering the D800 has it.

I hope to see a 4K firmware for the 1DX soon. The 1DC is identical internally to a 1DX.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:55 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

dolina wrote:
I hope to see a 4K firmware for the 1DX soon. The 1DC is identical internally to a 1DX.

Who would buy the 1Dc then?

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:57 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

vsg28 wrote:
Who would buy the 1Dc then?

Good question.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

Time to merge threads!

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

reno.peterson wrote:

I think the basic AF hardware is similar for 1Dx and 5D3. Perhaps someone may look at 5D3 and 1Dx submirrors and what shape they are (whether flat, conventional, or parabolic like the bodies with 45pt AF). If this is the same, then 5D3 could get that upgrade, provided Canon want to do it. Perhaps yes, since Nikon offers this in even lower class body than 5D3.

The big question is, how this firmware-unlocked feature was achieved. Whether the f/8 capable hardware was already in place, but reserved for some "Mk2" version or that the AF sensors are pushed over the spec as with taped extender, but this time the firmware reads just parts of the AF sensors' baselines.

As with making this official on lower end cameras - I'm not holding my breath.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

Judging by how well the 5D3 can AF with a Kenko TC on the 400/5.6 it certainly seems to have the capability to do this as well. Surprisingly, my 5D3 seems to AF quicker and more accurately with that combo than the 400/5.6 + Canon 1.4X TC on my former 1D3.

It will be interesting to see if Canon implements a similar firmware upgrade for the 5D3.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Geert Koning
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

Will Patterson wrote:
Time to merge threads!

+1
four threads now!

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

Five. Sigh.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

reno.peterson wrote:

Actually my ancient 1998 EOS 3 had F8 AF but it was pretty iffy in anything but bright light.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.