Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

rioni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

I'm considering a Lastolite Ezybox used but have read that the ebay clones are almost identical. Does anyone have experience with these? Would it be better to go with the used Lastolite Ezybox at around $125 or a clone for around $60? I don't plan on using this all that often but I also don't want a cheapo product that will fall apart after a few uses. The softbox will be used primarily inside but also outside from time to time (needs to be portable). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #2 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

I bought this clone 24" x 24" softbox that folds up. so far so good. perhaps the lastolite is better but bhphoto guy
recommended this cheaper one and said they were identical to lastolite one.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/621366-REG/Impact_EBO_0602424_Quikbox_24_x_24.html

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:10 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #3 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

Btw: here are some cheaper eggcrates for different sized softboxes:

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?searchinfo=24%22+grid

i got the 24" x 24" eggcrate.

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:46 AM
Garry Burton
• • •
p.1 #4 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

I used 4 of the "clones" over 4 years, while they worked fine in the beginning, they all failed around i year. I now only fold them flat and not the full 'twist' to the full small configuration. Which negates the compact intent.

What fails is the clamping and spot welding on where the metal bands connect (inside the edges) which allow for the 'twisty fold' set up. Believe me, you'll spend an entire weekend trying to get the little bastard of thing back in a useable condition.

If you plan to use this type of SB constantly and are looking for long time use. I suggest the Lastolite versions as the quality is far superior. No problems after 2 years of service.

Cheers Gaz

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:10 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

I've had my clones for about 3 years now (ebay). Unlike Garry, I never had a problem and I've used them regularly and toss them around a good bit. The folding is flat so it's easy to store. I don't want to take anything away from Lastolite, but highly recommend the clones.

Please note, I've never even touched a Lastolite Ezybox so I do not have a direct comparison. However, I can't see how theirs would be any better. The clones I have a sewn together very well (and tight) and the open and close without issue.

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:17 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #6 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was thinking about trying this one since it's only $38 or so: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Softbox-For-SpeedLight-Flash-60cm-60cm-24-24-Flash-Softbox-Flash-Diffuser-US-/110748886373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c925e565

Do you have any other recommendations on ebay clones? I think I'm going to go with a cheap clone to start out with an then a Lastolite if the clone falls apart.

Edited on Oct 17, 2012 at 05:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:53 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #7 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

The grids are crap (flimsy thin cloth that doesn't stay straight), but I doubt the Lastolite ones are any better...

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:36 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

rioni wrote:

Do you have any other recommendations on ebay clones?

My belief is that a good majority of the Chinese ebay clones are the same. I paid pretty much the same as the link you posted and as I stated, I'm thrilled with the purchase. It's not as if it's some kind of mechanical or electronic device. It's fabric and flexible rods that are well put together. It's worth it even if it does last only a couple of years.

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

I ordered the ephoto from amazon two boxes for less than the price of one. The quality is as good as the lasolite. i have been using them for almost 2 years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V076BS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Oct 17, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #10 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

Adorama:

Flashpoint

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:58 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #11 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

BTW: The adorama and ebay ones don' t seem to have the inner baffle. The Impact Quikbox does. don't know how big a difference that makes.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:27 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

pjny wrote:
BTW: The adorama and ebay ones don' t seem to have the inner baffle. The Impact Quikbox does. don't know how big a difference that makes.

True. Mine didn't. No problem though; I simply use a Stofen-like diffuser on the flash which does a pretty good job of spreading the light within the softbox and reducing the center hotspot.

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:28 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #13 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

The Cowboystudio boxes come with a grid:
http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-24speedlite-grill-softbox-Portable-Off-camera-Speedlites/dp/B004K33S66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350594216&sr=8-1&keywords=cowboystudio+24+softbox

I've been using the 16" one for probably a year. It has traveled around the world with me and has held up well. The weak point is the ball head that connects it to your lightstand. Mine is still holding up but you have to tighten it pretty good to keep it in position.

brad

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:06 PM
BugLightGeek
• • •
p.1 #14 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

wish they had ones bigger than 24inches...

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:51 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

BugLightGeek wrote:
wish they had ones bigger than 24inches...

Instead of the EZBox or clones of same, if you go with Westcott Apollo you can have your choice of 16, 28, or 50 inch squares, or 16X30 inch rectangle. (Plus the 8" Micro Apollo, but that hardly counts.)

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:06 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #16 · Lastolite Ezybox or Clone?

Westcott has an Apollo Bundle on sale for $200. I didn't see any info saying when it ends.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:34 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password