New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Greece- working a still at home

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Greece- working a still at home

On the island of Crete- the town of Agios Nikolaos- many moons ago.
Taken in the back patio of the home where I rented a room for several days.

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:52 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Greece- working a still at home

Cool Charlie. What are they distilling?

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:02 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Greece- working a still at home

qwyjibo wrote:
Cool Charlie. What are they distilling?

Thanks.
Not sure about the still, but for lunch the men were drinking retsina wine- very popular throughout Greece. It tastes good, but has an after-taste of retsin- which is sap from a certain type of tree.
Charlie

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Greece- working a still at home

Very nice images Charlie.
I have fond memories of late grandfather doing similar in the village in Lebanon.
They make Aarak using grapes and aniseed...One of the best things about it for us kids was the potato put into the coals and baked and staying up late watching them doing it.

Pity there's no photos from those days, which makes all the photos you are sharing a treasure. I for one look at all of them and really enjoy them.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Greece- working a still at home

bbourizk wrote:
Very nice images Charlie.
I have fond memories of late grandfather doing similar in the village in Lebanon.
They make Aarak using grapes and aniseed...One of the best things about it for us kids was the potato put into the coals and baked and staying up late watching them doing it.

Pity there's no photos from those days, which makes all the photos you are sharing a treasure. I for one look at all of them and really enjoy them.

Thanks for the additional information about homemade stills in the eastern Mediterranean.
And heartfelt thanks for your comments about some of my old travel images.
They are important to me because I was in love with foreign travel for 30+ years, and the photographs remind me of some of the extraordinary experiences I had.
But my pics get relatively little feedback as to the reactions of others. This is the whiz-bang, zoom-zoom era called the 21th century, and the seduction of technology wins over long-ago human interactions 99% of the time.
(Sniff, sniff) Charlie

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM
boxman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Greece- working a still at home

I for one try to look at all of your posts, but don't comment very often. You've been everywhere and have the photos to prove it.

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:05 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Greece- working a still at home

Ahh... the retsina makes sense. I was a bit confused by the dark liquid assuming it was from the still. Had retsina in Greece a number of years back and the pine sap aftertaste was a bit peculiar.

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:18 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.