New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

rioni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

I've noticed that my D600 sensor is really dirty with lots of spots showing up on images above f/4. In camera cleaning (via the cleaning option in the menu) hasn't done much good. Would it be be best to send this in for cleaning under warranty or just return to amazon and get a new one? I've never had this problem with any other camera purchased in the past but this appears to be fairly common with Nikon?

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

You can learn to clean it now or learn to clean it later.

I cannot understand why you would try to exchange a camera for this issue.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

It's not common with Nikon at all in my experience. Unless there is an actual problem, like oil on the sensor or something, it just needs a quick cleaning.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

I cannot understand why you would try to exchange a camera for this issue.

You can't? If I received a new camera with dirt on the sensor, the camera would be winging its way back to the retailer so fast it would make their heads spin.

John

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

It could be oil.
Sometimes, new bodies have a tendency to throw oil on the sensor.
See "Drawbacks" here.
I had similar problems with my new D700.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

Ya, it does look more like oil than dirt but hard to tell for sure. I've cleaned sensors in the past but abit concerned having it come this way from the factory. Has anyone sent this to Nikon for cleaning? If so, what was the turnaround time?

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

Mine was the same on receipt the dirtiest sensor I've seen on a new body. But I just cleaned it a few times and got most of the spots. Might as well learn how to do it now as you'll have to do so in the future, are you going to send in your camera every time it needs a cleaning? Buy yourself some Sensor Swabs from Photographic Solutions.

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Adam Bavier
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

Send it back to Amazon for a replacement. The sensor is what captures the photos, so why deal with it being less than optimal from the start. Amazon is normally really good to deal with, so it should be easy to get a new one.

Oct 16, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

I'm with the majority, clean the sensor yourself and be done with it. A dirty sensor isn't a defect, it's a minor annoyance. The d600 is getting a reputation for being dirty from the factory. What will you do with the next one being just as dirty or worse, send it back too? So, you turn a good body or 2 or 3, into a used body, or bodies, that costs Amazon and everyone else money.

It's not at all unusual to have the sensor be dirty OOTB and for a while after, until the flapping of the mirror and shutter have mostly finished blowing particles around. Cleaning it is easy and not all that time consuming and is something that you'll have to do eventually. If you don't ever want to clean it, learn how to use the clone tool. That works just about as well and is likely to be necessary at some point anyway, if you change lenses in the field with any frequency.

Kerry

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:34 PM
SebastianS
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

I do not have a dirty sensor but am mainly curious for the best resource to learn how to clean a sensor? In the past I use some compressed Nitrogen from my lab at work but it's always good to learn new methods :-)

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:45 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

Don't use compressed air or gas of any kind on a DSLR sensor... all it takes it a wet swab kit if your blower (I have 3 Giotto bulb style blowers) doesn't dislodge any stubborn particles, and I usually get around to a wet swab clean on my camera sensors around once every year it seems, sometimes more (shooting motocross or horse events or baseball regularly tends to bump up the totals). Really nothing to be afraid of, and I do think it's harder than some people are led to believe to cause any kind of damage to the filter. Sometimes it takes 3-4 swabs before the sensor is perfectly clean when you get really stubborn spots, but I've never had anything I couldn't get clean. I think the stores and service centers will try to convince you that sensor cleaning is something you should leave to them and not attempt yourself because, well hey, they make money off it. But if you have some patience and a steady enough hand there really isn't anything you can't do yourself.

To the OP, I don't think it's fair to say "this is very common with Nikon", as I've had at least a dozen or more new Nikon bodies and never noticed any sensor dirt on any of them.

I have to say I tried an Arctic Butterfly tool and found that after three or four tries it actually made things worse than the original dirt I was dealing with. Wet swabs are simple, easy to use and effective.

I wouldn't return a camera body over a spec or two. But that's just me, YMMV.

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:59 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

I would definitely return it. Not that it's a malfunction or a defect and I agree that you can clean it but I wouldn't start learning to clean my sensor on a new D600, I would buy an old camera for that

Oct 16, 2012 at 07:59 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

Thanks guys. It's not a speck or two... it's about 20+ specks. I'm going to contact amazon tomorrow on this.

Oct 16, 2012 at 09:55 PM
JimmyChoo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

Since you have a camera without defects or malfunctions, I would try to clean it first, even with "about 20+ specks." If you manage to clean it, keep it. For who can tell if you send it back without even trying, the next one they send you might turn out to be a lemon.

With such poor quality control it is becoming a high risk venture to buy Nikon nowadays.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

The more people return cameras for dust on the sensor instead of cleaning it them selves the better for the rest of us.
Now the camera is not new and has to be sold as used or refurb. So while the return will cost some people money and time for a minor issue, someone will save a few $$$ for a new camera at a used or refurb price.
Maybe the next one will have a creased neck strap.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

You can try to learn to do some wet cleaning on that sensor. If you can't get it cleaned thoroughly, just send it back for a refund.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

Read Thom Hogan's sensor cleaning article at his site, bythom.com; also, on youtube there are a series of sensor cleaning videos produced by Nikon but not distributed in North America that show how to wet-clean a sensor WITHOUT using the high priced specialty products like Sensor Swabs, etc.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

When I drove my new car home from the dealer, there were bug spots all over the front of it. I returned it to the dealer, and demanded a replacement. Strangely enough, the replacement too suffered this bug spat problem.

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:07 AM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

<edit> I'm going to try cleaning before returning. Are sensor swabs the best way to go or should I be looking at another product?

Oct 17, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D600 Sensor Dirty from Factory

rioni wrote:
<edit> I'm going to try cleaning before returning. Are sensor swabs the best way to go or should I be looking at another product?

Sensor swabs + eclipse work very well. If there are indeed oil spots, you can expect the first swap to smear them, and the second to start cleaning things up better. It's important to know how to clean a sensor since this is something you'll need to do quite a bit in the future. That being said, I find that full frame cameras are much easier to clean than DX bodies. I've cleaned hundreds of cameras over the years -- it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.