New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

This could be a stupid question but this is my first time using a ballhead and I tried to research before asking but couldn't find much information.

I followed the advice of most experienced photographers to save up for a good tripod and I did and finally got the Gitzo 1325 from B&S for a great price and couldn't be happier with everything about it. Now I also got a Manfrotto 496RC2 ballhead since it's affordable and got favorable reviews. The problem is when I install it on the base of the Gitzo the locking knob of the ballhead does not fully rotate cause it's obstructed by the base. The ballhead also looks silly since it's a lot smaller than the tripod's base.

Edit: The other problem is when I install the head on the base the only way I can release the head is to use a wrench to twist the bolt underneath the base. The head just twists without any effect. Is this the normal way of releasing the head?

Do I need another part that goes between the head and the base or should I just get a head compatible with the tripod? Do you have suggestions for a ballhead within a similar price range?

I appreciate it

Edited on Oct 15, 2012 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

a photo would be a plus

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:23 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

I will post photos as soon as I get home. Thanks

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:52 PM
dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

The locking lever/knob can be repositioned by pulling it out, as it's spring-loaded. That still may be inconvenient, however, depending on how much rotation of the knob is required during actual use. Generally a larger ballhead is matched with the 3-series Gitzo's, but in this case it's also just a question of the two basic designs being ergonomically different. What's the heaviest gear you'll need to support?

FWIW, a budget solution for a nice ballhead might be a PhotoClam PC40:

http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-40N.htm

This will also provide you a much better ARCA-Swiss compatible quick-release system, as the Manfrotto RC2-system is not very solid or secure.

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Lane48

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

Check out the Wimberly RB-100 riser block. It will probably meet your needs.

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/instructions-rb-100.pdf

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

If you bought 496 new, I'd return it. Personally, I hate pretty much everything about the Manfrotto ball heads. Their handling sucks, their plate sucks, they don't have a usable L-bracket and their stability is questionable.

If you're going inexpensive, the entry Sirui or Sunwayfoto ball heads are very nice. Generally I think the Sunwayfoto heads are better made. I got an XB-44 (which is their premium head that competes with the RRS BH-40) to review, and I like it better than my BH-40.

But seriously - save up a few more bucks and get a decent Arca-Swiss-based head. You won't regret it.

Oct 28, 2012 at 07:58 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

Thanks for the advice M635! I am sorry I didn't post pictures simply because I sold the ball head Now I am saving for a Markins or RRS... I particularly likes the Markins Q10, do you think it will pair well with the G1325 MKII?

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:55 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

I can't really speak to Markins as I haven't really played with one much, but they have lots of fans.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fitting 496RC2 on a Gitzo 1325

Check with Lars Johnson. His knowledge of Gitzo tripods is encyclopedic. Lars has probably forgotten more than old man Gitzo ever knew about his tripods.

Oct 29, 2012 at 09:09 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.