New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D2 resolution question

Eric Hoffman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D2 resolution question

I recently obtained a new 5D2 for my work as an event (conventions and trade shows mostly) photographer. The 5D that I was using for the past six years is 12.8 mp while the 5D2 bumps that up to 21 mp making the file sizes (I only shoot jpeg) nearly twice as large.

Am I correct in thinking that this will only slow down transfer times to my lap top without providing a noticeable benefit to the picture quality, especially because my images for this type of work are typically only viewed on computer screens, or occasionally printed in a newsletter at a very small size. Very rarely will an image make it to a printed enlargement as an 8x10, or possibly (but even more rare) an 11x14.

I have tested by shooting the same image twice, once at large fine and once at medium fine.
I did this about twenty times with different subject matter from low key to high key and in between.

When reviewing the images on my computer, zoomed in, zoomed out, looking for sharpness, color and noise characteristics I was unable to see any difference at all between large fine and medium fine.

The prime reason for wanting the smaller file sizes is that I am very often told "we need those shots for our website or blog immediately" When this happens I still have a full shooting schedule to cover (which somehow the client forgets) with assignments in different locations around the convention center and off site so any time saved in transferring images to my laptop, then to a flash drive and then to the client, sometimes to the client's computer is very much desired.

So what I am asking for are opinions from those who may sometimes lower the picture quality as described above, and those who are far more technically advanced than myself to give insight as to which way to go here.

Thanks for any opinions I receive on this.

Eric

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:43 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D2 resolution question

> Am I correct in thinking that this will only slow down transfer times to my lap top without providing a noticeable benefit to the picture quality

> I was unable to see any difference at all between large fine and medium fine.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:24 PM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D2 resolution question

IME these types of photos may once in awhile get printed and when they do it's rarely over 8x10.
I would expect a med/fine from a 5D2 more than adequate.

I do this type work with a 1D2 currently using large fine without issue.

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Eric Hoffman

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D2 resolution question

For other types of jobs I shoot full resolution jpegs, and raw when the need arises. This is only about convention / trade show shooting.

Upon reflection, I think I should have asked the question differently.

So, do you think that a medium fine jpeg from the 5D2 would have as much, or only very slightly less, image quality as a large fine jpeg from the 5D?

Thanks again,

Eric

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:57 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D2 resolution question

For the web, the resolution of a full frame camera like the 5D2 is well beyond what is needed. In fact the original 5D is more than necessary. MP is hardly an issue for you at all - except perhaps in the negative sense!

The tricky thing for you is to know whether or not one of those photographs that is immediately needed in low resolution jpg format might also be needed in a higher resolution format at some future point. If you are certain that no one will ever need a higher resolution copy of andy of these images, you might as well just produce low res versions in camera. On the other hand, you could also shoot the RAW + JPG mode and have both versions, with a bit of extra work to parcel them out when you are done, though this could be done quite quickly on a laptop.

Dan

Eric Hoffman wrote:
I recently obtained a new 5D2 for my work as an event (conventions and trade shows mostly) photographer. The 5D that I was using for the past six years is 12.8 mp while the 5D2 bumps that up to 21 mp making the file sizes (I only shoot jpeg) nearly twice as large.

Am I correct in thinking that this will only slow down transfer times to my lap top without providing a noticeable benefit to the picture quality, especially because my images for this type of work are typically only viewed on computer screens, or occasionally printed in
...Show more

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:37 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D2 resolution question

If your controlling lighting/white balance and have a known output then shooting smaller jpgs is fine.

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.