Nice

Oct 15, 2012 at 09:43 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

fraga wrote:
Thanks, Jim.
I have a few more, but it's getting late. Maybe tomorrow.

Here are a few test shots on a more controlled environment, so as to please everyone.
Or at least most, since there are some who will never be truly satisfied.

Hope all of these help people who are contemplating it decide if it's worth it or not.

Fraga,

Are you anywhere near Peniche? If yes get down there today and shoot the Rip Curl Pro with that lens, let's see some action shots.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM
fraga
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

artsupreme wrote:
Fraga,

Are you anywhere near Peniche? If yes get down there today and shoot the Rip Curl Pro with that lens, let's see some action shots.

Unfortunately no. :P
I live in Azores, an archipelago of 9 islands that belongs to Portuguese territory.
Peniche is located on the mainland.
A few days before I received my 120-300 there was a big surf event called Azores Islands pro 2012 ( http://azores.aspeurope.com/ ), but unfortunately the lens arrived after the event was over.

Oct 16, 2012 at 05:19 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

Thanks for posting all the samples guys, keep 'em coming if you can I'm very interested in this lens, but now Sigma has announced they are updating it I'm going to hold on and see how that "mk2" OS version tests. I'm probably going to 24 hours of Le Mans again next year and I reckon the Sigma (with and without 1.4 x ext. ii) would be a better option than the 70-200 ii with 2 x ext.iii.

Oct 16, 2012 at 06:34 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

fraga wrote:
Unfortunately no. :P
I live in Azores, an archipelago of 9 islands that belongs to Portuguese territory.
Peniche is located on the mainland.
A few days before I received my 120-300 there was a big surf event called Azores Islands pro 2012 ( http://azores.aspeurope.com/ ), but unfortunately the lens arrived after the event was over.

Yeah that was a great 6 star event, you live in a beautiful place. I hope to make it out there some day to surf.

Oct 16, 2012 at 09:56 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

Thanks for the reviews and samples.

Anyone have a 2x extender to throw on? I'm interested in using this lens for both sports and wildlife (non-pro usage).

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

ScooberJake wrote:
Thanks for the reviews and samples.

Anyone have a 2x extender to throw on? I'm interested in using this lens for both sports and wildlife (non-pro usage).

Yes. I have to wait a while though, because the weather is poor today. I might have a chance to shoot some surfing on Thursday.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

Art, if you have facebook, you can check some of the pics I took from Azores Islands pro 2009 with a 500L IS.
Check your PM box for the link.

This year there were some comments that those waves are among the best in the world.
A friend of mine who went there to take pics of the event told me this a few days later and I started laughing.
How could that be?
The waves are usually not big at all, perhaps small in fact, we see in television and in photos on the web much, much bigger waves.
He then told that initially he thought the same, until he heard the explanation (can't remember from whom): the waves are long (from the time they form to the time they hit the sand it takes quite some time) and allow for a lot of maneuvers to be made.
There are places with much bigger waves but they don't last all that long and the surfers can't do as much.

I must admit I am still a bit skeptical, but since I don't know much about surf, I'll take his word for it.

P.S.
Jim, sorry for the off-topic.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM
sdeutscher
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

Jim, Luis, great information. Thank you much. I also sold the Canon 300 2.8IS and looking into the Sigma.
I walked into a store and they had 2 on the Canon mount. Were both untouched in the box, they unwrapped them in front of me. One had the autofocus defective, the other one was ok. That put me into thinking....We all heard stories about quality control at Sigma.
The one I tried was good enough that I would say I would be happy with. Very good from 2.8...not far from Canon. The focus is not as fast and I think a limiter would help. Takes a while to go from close to far away. Otherwise work good....I also tried it in bad lighting.
I used the Canon a lot with 1.4x and 2x and was great. The Sigma is not the same as you can notice the difference in quality.
All in all I would buy the lens as it seems good for my needs but now that they are coming out with a new one I decided to wait. Hopefully the price won't go up

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

fraga wrote:
Art, if you have facebook, you can check some of the pics I took from Azores Islands pro 2009 with a 500L IS.
Check your PM box for the link.

This year there were some comments that those waves are among the best in the world.
A friend of mine who went there to take pics of the event told me this a few days later and I started laughing.
How could that be?
The waves are usually not big at all, perhaps small in fact, we see in television and in photos on the web much, much bigger waves.
He then told that initially he
...Show more

Fraga, you did get great waves in Azores this year for sure, meanwhile they are currently getting skunked in Peniche for the Rip Curl Pro but there is supposedly a swell on the way. Wave quality is not necessarily about the size of the wave, but the shape/length of the wave and the overall conditions of the ocean surface and wind. In other words, the swell you got in Azores that was 2ft overhead with perfect shape and punch will be better than a double overhead wave somewhere else with mushy or closeout conditions. Your buddy is right, surfers want a wave that allows for tons of maneuvers and variety (cutbacks, aerials, barrels, etc). It's got to be punchy (top to bottom) and that's exactly what you got in Azores this year for the 6 star event. Keep your eye on the Rip Curl Pro site for the WCT event in Peniche, they should hopefully run it in a couple days when the swell hits. Okay, back on topic now...

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM
CSStevens
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS, first impressions

To add in, I got the Sigma 300 2.8 prime just last week and have really liked it so far though I haven't been able to use it much. The only thing I really shot was VP Joe Biden at his Las Vegas stop, but got pretty sharp shots, though. OS would be nice, but often times I'll have a monopod for it (though in this case I did not, but was at 1/500, 2.8, 1000) since it'll be used for a lot of sports. The AF is extremely fast for still objects, and I'm hoping that will translate over to AI Servo during sports as well. Obviously a bit front heavy (huge front element) and a decently sized and extremely durable metal hood, though it's not as large as Canon's super tele hoods. Also comes with a normal drop in filter as well as a CPL one. For just over $1,000 used it's a total steal of a lens; as others have said, 95% of the quality of the Canon copy, yet way less in price.

Oct 21, 2012 at 01:53 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.