Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Newbie question - headshot tutorial?

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Newbie question - headshot tutorial?

A family friend is starting his own business, and his headshot photo on his web site is not very good. Actually, it's bad. It is black and white, flat light, distracting background, makes your drivers license shot look good. I would like to help him out by doing a headshot for his web site, and learn a bit in the process.

I am a fair landscape/nature photographer, but beginner when it comes to people, espcially posed portraits. I have the gear I would need; decent cameras and lenses, 2 flashes, 2 light stands with umbrellas, and a reflector. I don't have a drop background, so I would have to figure that out. I have done some reading about use of flash (Speedlighters Handbook and Hot Shoe Diaries), but I could use some help with how to set up the shot with shouder/head postion, and all the other things I don't know about yet.

What would be a good source for information about how to do this well? I am cautiously optomistic that given what we are starting with, I shold be able to do better than what he has now.

Thanks for and and all advice.

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:51 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Newbie question - headshot tutorial?

You should be fine. You don't need a backdrop, just use a good wall with nothing on it, hopefully a neutral color. One main light, one fill/hair light.

Best suggestion is for you to practice the shot with any family members or friends.

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:53 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Newbie question - headshot tutorial?

It's not the equipment, it is understanding the light. Open a door and place subject 2-3 feet inside. Should be only soft light on them. Buy a large poster board or matte used for photo frames. Around 32" x 36" size. That is your background. Add reflector on one side for a bit of accent. Shoot away. What you see is what you get so no learning curve for the flash assuming you can match the visual to get same out of the camera.

Oct 15, 2012 at 09:28 PM
jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Newbie question - headshot tutorial?

Thanks for the input, I do have a posterboard to use as a background. I will play around with reflector vs second flash for fill, and use a stuffed toy to practice.

Oct 16, 2012 at 05:26 PM
KerryPratt

p.1 #5 · Newbie question - headshot tutorial?

You can go here to read Joe Zeltsman's take on photography. He gave good advice and he had a free online basic course that he made available to everyone that Shutterfly has been good enough to archive and make available to everyone else to preserve Joe's legacy.

http://asktheoleproaboutphotography.shutterfly.com/joezeltsman2

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:58 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password