Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 70-200 IS v1 question.. Do I need repair?

mikeinctown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70-200 IS v1 question.. Do I need repair?

Bought a used 70-200 2.8 IS v1 and noticed something that I find slightly troubling. I'm just not sure if I should be concerned or not, or more to the point, how much so. Basically, the white outside barrel on the end of the lens (side away from the camera) seems slightly loose. I can move (rock) the barrel about 1mm, or maybe just under. When I do this and look at the glass, the glass doesn't move, so I'm assuming that it is just a loose screw or something on the outside cover. I wouldn't normally care, but my new 24-105 is tight and the used 300mm I have has no ssues. There is also no apparent damage anywhere on the lens. Filters screw on easily, and the hood is tight. It focuses quick as well.

I can try to add photos later if necessary. I am just trying to figure out if something like this is normal? Normal after use? etc..

Thanks for your input.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70-200 IS v1 question.. Do I need repair?

I've noted where the gap and movement are occurring. Can someone verify if this loose condition or movement is normal or abnormal?

70-200B by mikeinctown, on Flickr

70-200A by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Oct 16, 2012 at 08:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70-200 IS v1 question.. Do I need repair?

It's probably normal, but should be tightened up. I know I had a similar situation with a 300/4L IS, and mabe on a 70-200/2.8L IS Mk I, as well. It's a simple fix, if you know how. You'll probably find a few small screw heads under the rubber manual focus ring, which you can gently stretch a bit and coax off. Any competent general camera repair shop should be able to do it for a small fee.

Oct 16, 2012 at 08:45 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70-200 IS v1 question.. Do I need repair?

That's it exactly. If you take off the rubber you'll see holes in the focusing ring - turn it until they line up over the screw heads (I believe 5 in the Mk I) and just tighten them each.

The looseness is no bother, the end piece only contains the barrel and filter ring, doesn't affect the glass at all. But if the screws back out further they can jam the focus ring, so best to do it before that happens.

Take the rubber off and look if you feel uncomfortable you can put it right back on and send it to Canon, but you won't. It's just tightening a couple of screws a bit.

Fair warning, though: some people consider this a 'gateway repair'. First you're just tightening a couple of screws, but then suddenly you're taking lenses apart for your blog posts . . .

Oct 16, 2012 at 08:55 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70-200 IS v1 question.. Do I need repair?

Thank you so very much guys. I did find the screws and found one slightly loose. it is amazing how one loose screw out of 4 allows the entire thing to be able to move. Now that I tightened up the front shell i noticed a slight amount of movement at the back of the MF ring 9would be the next joint to the right of where I have the arrow. the movement is only at the top though and I can see the focus screen move under the little window, so i'm thinking maybe a slightly loose screw internally. it's barely noticable though so I'll wait until it needs a trip for service to worry about it.

Also, I noticed that my small screw drivers were either too big or slightly small, and did not fit the screws perfectly. Is there a recommended set of screwdrivers one could purchase for small fixes like this? I'd like to pick up a set but only if they actually fit the screws well.

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:22 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 70-200 IS v1 question.. Do I need repair?

They are JLS # 00 You can usually get by with a Phillips #00 to tighten stuff, but it's more likely to strip screws coming out.

See - I told you it was a gateway repair. . .

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.