Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Headshot C&C

Ballistics
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Headshot C&C

Not thrilled with the image, but still trying.

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:13 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Headshot C&C

The lighting is good. It would be better without the head tilted back. It'll give anyone a big crease in their neck.

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Ballistics
• •
p.1 #3 · Headshot C&C

eSchwab wrote:
The lighting is good. It would be better without the head tilted back. It'll give anyone a big crease in their neck.

You mean shoulders turned slightly?

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:34 PM
BrettD

p.1 #4 · Headshot C&C

Is this a headshot for a specific purpose or just practice? If it's an actor headshot, I'd say you missed -- the makeup is all wrong and it's hard to get a sense of the actress's "type" from this shot. (If you don't know what I mean by "type", check out my website's , or Guide to Getting a Great Headshot do a search on Bonnie Gillespie's headshot articles on Actor's Access). The lighting is OK, but would be much better if you had some separation between the background and your subject (a hairlight and/or background light would achieve that). I also agree with the above that the neck twist feels awkward and almost uncomfortable.

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:40 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Headshot C&C

I think I see two sources of light in her right eye, one up and a larger one down. Did you have a strobe up higher and a reflector down below, or is that a softbox down there?

Typically, you want your main light to be slightly above her, causing a shadow below her chin. Instead, the neck is really lit up and it looks different. I'm going to assume you used a speedlight without a softbox up high, reflector down low. If that's the case, I'd really suggest getting a softbox or shoot-through umbrella to soften the light, and then use the reflector to the opposite side of the main light to reflect light onto the side of her head and hair, fill some of the gaps.

This is especially important when you have a subject with dark or darker hair (like the brunette here) and then your background is dark (black here). Lighting the hair will create separation from the background.

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:44 PM

Ballistics
• •
p.1 #6 · Headshot C&C

Not an actor headshot. The shot is to showcase makeup. Thank you for the link. I appreciate it.

Bounce umbrella above, Reflector at the bust line to fill in shadows.

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:50 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Headshot C&C

Appears very blotchy on my screen. Wrong crop to show make-up. For a eye shot focus the image on the eyes. Move crop down and place the eyes in the top 1/3 to 1/4 of the frame.

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:41 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Headshot C&C

No, her head is turned towards the camera and leaning towards her back. That is why she has a crease in her neck. I think less head lean would be better.

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:54 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Headshot C&C

Hmm, how does it look closeup? If the intent is to showcase the makeup, let's see a close crop.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password