Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · How to tactfully turn someone down?

nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How to tactfully turn someone down?

time2climb was right (though perhaps a bit aggressive). I was having the same reaction reading the beginning of the thread. Sorry, Marcus, but you kinda stepped in it.

In candor, Iím prone to invent and consider white lies as proposed by Marcus in similar situations. So no high horse here, just calling it what it is and admitting Iíve done it. Interestingly, point 2 offers a truthful segue, as blueirisarts points out.

Truth:
ďYou have very specific ideas about what you want. I like and respect that Ė I wish more clients were so aware and interested in the result. Unfortunately what youíre after is not my style. That causes me pause. Iím flattered that you asked but I donít want to disappoint you so I really must decline. Thank you so much for considering me.Ē

TheGEís counsel was also solid.

Regarding the other concerns, I donít think thereís anything wrong with saying:

ďI wish I could make that commitment but this is how I make my living and I need to keep the date open for full-ticket clients. If your wedding was on a Tuesday, Iíd do it in a heartbeat.Ē

ďWith all respect, Iíve seen your family weddings and while I appreciate the zeal of all the family photographers, I have to honestly tell you they make it very difficult if not impossible for the primary to guarantee even modestly acceptable results. No professional would accept the responsibility if they knew what they were getting into. I mean no offense but thatís the candid truth.Ē

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:27 AM
jofoto photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How to tactfully turn someone down?

1. Tell her you'll match the venue or dress discount %
2. I'm Willie Nelson not Elvis, if you want Elvis hire Elvis. This is how I walk.
3. And where in the wedding can i fit my camera in, or say I love taking pictures of people taking pictures, love those types of weddings. back of uncles heads, add a couple of videoBob's just for fun. Love it love it the pics are always amazing your wedding will look so paparazzi, how cool is that. Friend or no friend you may want to add a few disclaimers to the contract for the points mentioned

Oct 16, 2012 at 08:37 AM
swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How to tactfully turn someone down?

maxwell1295 wrote:
"I wish I could, but...."

Seriously. You should have learned this in high school. Tell her you're busy. Your camera is in the shop. You can't afford the trip because you spent your paycheck on your mothers heart medicine. Your photographing another wedding that day, they are paying $xxx more and you really need the money. Our you can say you just don't want to and save her the confusion and yourself from 3am drunken text messages.

Oct 16, 2012 at 01:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password