Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

jj_glos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

Unfortunately it looks like my 1Ds2 is going to be visiting a repair shop in the very near future

It has started to underexpose badly. It meters the scene correctly, for example f2.2 1/5000, but delivers a black frame when I capture the shot. If I stick it into manual mode and drop the shutter speed to 1/1600 it will capture the scene as I expect... It doesn't appear to be the usual shutter bounce failure, I guess it just isn't shooting at the correct speed. Whether this is a shutter or other camera issue I don't know? I've reset all functions, and had the battery out (although not the button battery yet), I can't think of any setting that would do this anyway? Anything else I could try?

So, does anyone recommend a good service centre in the UK? I know of Fixation but have seen recent threads on forms where they have been expensive. I don't know if Canon still service it (its just the 1D2 that stopped?), I'll have to contact them.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.1 #2 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

Have you compared the metering to another camera? (I know you say it meters the scene correctly, but what have you used to verify that?)

Either your metering of f/2.2 1/5000 is correct and you have some shutter/sensor problem, or it is incorrect and should really be reading 1/1600 instead.

Have you checked the custom setting for focusing screens?

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #3 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

Yes I have compared it to a 7D, which meters the scene the same at f2.2 1/5000.

I'll check the focus screen again, but I'm sure it is set to 1 or whatever the default is (I just have the standard screen).

Looking back at shots from the weekend, it started doing it towards of a short session shooting some gulls down by the canal. I was usng a mixture of manual mode and TV mode with exp comp, and various AF modes (centre, centre with expanded and also the ring of fire). The only settings I changed through the menu were turning off the expanded AF points and changing the AF Servo speed. So I don't think I accidentally changed anything. I'm sort of hoping it is something like that though!

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:30 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

Check your custom function for Av & Tv limitter flag, default metering setting page, etc...and mirror bounce. Also test with another lens to make sure you don't have any stucky aperture ...camera also drunk with weak batteries as well

If you have uneven metering in series shots then definitely a mirror bounce issue.

Edited on Oct 15, 2012 at 03:13 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:49 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #5 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

I've reset both custom and personal functions, all the personal functions are disabled (so no max\min shutter speed set, they are at 1/8000,1/30 anyway). Safety shift is turned off. I have tried shooting with mirror lockup enabled, I don't know if this would eliminate mirror bounce? I've tried multiple lenses

It's odd in that the whole frame is dim, I thought it might just be shutter failure but there are no black or white bands indicating shutter bounce etc.

It's currently sat with both batteries pulled, not that I expect that to fix it, but I gotta try! I'm hoping I've missed something obvious but I've tried what I can think of.

Thanks for the replies

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:07 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

either your metering sensor not reading right or mirror does not reflect the light right verify focusing screen sitting right as well...If you have uneven metering in series shots then definitely a mirror bounce issue.

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:19 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #7 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

The metering is actually correct, it is only when pressing the shutter release that the image actually captured is completely underexposed. I can set the same settings in manual mode, so taking auto metering out of the equation, and the shot is still under exposed.

It fired off a few shots where I increased the ISO by a stop for each shot so that the shutter speed increases. As the shutter speed increases, I can see the histogram start to move to the left for each subsequent shot. Eventually the frame blacks out

I'll have a good look inside it, not that I really know what I am doing there!

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:50 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

Put camera on timer, use extremely slow shutter speed and verify the mirror was clear out before shutter is openning. Sound like you have mirror mechanical issue

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #9 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

mttran wrote:
Put camera on timer, use extremely slow shutter speed and verify the mirror was clear out before shutter is openning. Sound like you have mirror mechanical issue

The mirror does flip up out of the way ok, whether it does this fast enough (and doesn't come back down to soon) at the higher shutter speeds I don't know! I've tried mirror lockup and this works ok, but I still get an underexposed frame.

At low shutter speeds it all seems fine. Thanks for all the ideas

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:07 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

You are absolutely correct, your 1Ds2 is acting very strange. Any good news on this

Oct 17, 2012 at 05:14 AM
warjoe

p.1 #11 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

Same thing happen to my 1dmk2n i send it in to Fixation and they reprogrammed metering cells and shutter speeds, check and clean 140 and its super now. It only happen to mine over 1/1200 sec or so but the same thing. Hope this helps.

Here is my post

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1111998/0#10643152

Warren

Oct 17, 2012 at 08:11 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #12 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

Interesting, thanks for that!

Your original thread said you sent it to Canon, did they send it on to Fixation or did you send it?

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #13 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

mttran wrote:
You are absolutely correct, your 1Ds2 is acting very strange. Any good news on this

No further new as yet, I've been away with work. I'll be sending the camera off on Friday so hopefully I will have more news next week. The issue does appear to be similar to Warrens above, so a bit of hope that there isn't anything seriously wrong!

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM
warjoe

p.1 #14 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

jj_glos wrote:
Interesting, thanks for that!

Your original thread said you sent it to Canon, did they send it on to Fixation or did you send it?

I send mine into fixation, i had heard good reports and turnaround was very quick not sure if they are a canon service center, but they fix Canon and Nikon.

http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/Fixation%20-%20Home/Fixation%20-%20Home.html

Warren

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #15 · My 1Ds2 is acting very strange!...

I had something like you describe on mine. I upgraded the firmware and all is well.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password