Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2012 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Cincy Bruce wrote:
I have no complaints with Windows 7.

I just put Windows 7 in. Still learning it. I like to wait a couple years after operating system release to let the bugs get worked out; maybe I'll consider Windows 8 in 2014 or 2015.

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:38 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

lol I seriously doubt it'll be around in 2014 or 2015. I fully expect this to be another Vista.

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:41 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

amonline wrote:
lol I seriously doubt it'll be around in 2014 or 2015. I fully expect this to be another Vista.

you might be little disappointed...
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/better-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/

I've installed on one of desktop and based upon how fucked up new iMac upgrade and overall Apple attitude towards desktop are, I'm seriously considering moving back to Windows. Dont want to lay down 2K for a desktop that could not be upgraded without doing brain surgery.

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:34 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I was speaking purely from a workstation standpoint. The best thing MS could do right now is to add options for disabling metro altogether. I completely understand your disgust with Apple, but MS is virtually doing the same thing; from a different angle. They're trying to slap tablet software over an operating system that people use for actual work. That's one thing Apple did right - kept them separate.

This back n' forth, two-system type of feeling is ridiculous. It creates far too many extra movements to get anywhere. The "start screen" should have been an "overlay"; not a completely separate section you must toggle back n' forth to reach applications. Of course, I know I can create all that on the desktop, but you really shouldn't have to spend 24-48 hours nuking metro and creating links to every possible system feature you might want to use.

It was worth the speed upgrade... but I'm going on day three now just trying to get it in a workable state that makes sense and is efficient.

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:56 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I'm using both and it makes OSX feels bit dated compared to Metro. Instead of going for gimmicks of 3D they have tried something much more functional with live tiles. I'm not sure what part of extra movements you are referring to but cant you simply bring your CS6, LR4 and any other app that you are using into tile ? I had LR4 installed on Win7 box and it just brought it into one of live tile. It is new interface so it will take some time to understand how things works but so far I think first time in history of MS - someone got design aspect right.

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:29 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I do have them in tiles, but the constant back n' forth between metro and the desktop creates far more movements in workflow. Some apps are assigned to hot keys and start behind metro when I launch them. Also, browsers sporadically start in metro or desktop - not where I choose. A simple option to force where they start would have been smart. (and yes, I know all about the default settings... it doesn't help)

I'm just saying some common sense simplifications (in many areas) would have improved the experience vastly. I could list a ton of things, but they aren't photography-related. lol

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:39 AM
dimi

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

amonline wrote:
I do have them in tiles, but the constant back n' forth between metro and the desktop creates far more movements in workflow. Some apps are assigned to hot keys and start behind metro when I launch them. Also, browsers sporadically start in metro or desktop - not where I choose. A simple option to force where they start would have been smart. (and yes, I know all about the default settings... it doesn't help)

I'm just saying some common sense simplifications (in many areas) would have improved the experience vastly. I could list a ton of things, but they aren't
...Show more

IE is the only browser playing well in the Metro sandbox, if you look under Internet Options>Programs>Choose how you open links> one of the drop down options is to always open in IE on the desktop. Once I found that out I was perfectly fine with the new start screen. My only problem is I prefer Chrome but Google is dragging their updates on their Metro Chrome version out longer than probably because of some internal pressure.

I think MS is targeting Google rather than Apple in the short term, with some very well integrated offering between Outlook (new hotmail), Skydrive and SurfaceRT/WP8/W8 and a surprisingly helpful Bing app. For a whole slew of v.1 products out of Redmond, they are surprisingly well integrated already.

Nov 04, 2012 at 04:33 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I did go through the IE settings. Didn't help. There are no such options for Chrome.

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:02 AM
dimi

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

amonline wrote:
I did go through the IE settings. Didn't help. There are no such options for Chrome.

It only works for IE, it's now my default browser so all links from metro open on the desktop in IE. Chrome, which is my preferred browser, doesn't support this. If you set Chrome as the default, links in metro open in the Chrome tile and links on the desktop open in Chrome desktop. This is up to Google to fix unfortunately. I am finding IE much better than when I left it ages ago for Firefox and then Chrome. Still prefer Chrome though.

I do find LR 4.2 marginally faster in 8 than in 7, not sure if I'm just precieving it that way or if it actually is faster. Time will tell but 8 desktop is pretty fantastic. Waiting for the Surface Pro before jumping into tablet space though.

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:59 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I've gone back to IE because Chrome's slow on Win8. I agree. They've made some great leaps with IE10.

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mjoshi
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

amonline wrote:
I've gone back to IE because Chrome's slow on Win8. I agree. They've made some great leaps with IE10.

dont forget Bing rewards are back so that would come handy with IE10

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:37 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread but you can purchase the Windows 8 Pro upgrade from Microsoft as a download for $39.95.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:43 PM
drpeters
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I've had Win8 for about a week now and overall I'm happy with the upgrade. Sure, the UI takes some getting used to, but it is a familiar feeling, as there are always adjustments to be made when an OS upgrade comes out.

One of the first things I did was slim down the window borders, which were quite cartoonish in my estimation. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8463-border-width-windows-change-windows-8-a.html

It is a shame that one has to fiddle with the registry and not have a GUI interface, but since I have no qualms about editing the registry, it isn't the end of the world.

Nov 17, 2012 at 07:03 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Was listening to some market analysts talking about Microsoft. They said that the Number 2 guy at microsoft, head of the Windows division and who was the executive in charge of Windows 8 development, just got pushed out of the Company because "Windows 8 is getting really poor reviews and it's progressively becoming more clearly a flop".

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:07 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I predict an update to optionally remove metro on a desktop. lol

Nov 18, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

D. Diggler wrote:
Was listening to some market analysts talking about Microsoft. They said that the Number 2 guy at microsoft, head of the Windows division and who was the executive in charge of Windows 8 development, just got pushed out of the Company because "Windows 8 is getting really poor reviews and it's progressively becoming more clearly a flop".

I would say it was because he isolated windows8. he did not even work with the Office group or other groups within Microsoft.

We will see if the cultural change of dog-eat-dog changes to a more collaborative style.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:44 AM
drpeters
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I just recently looked into the differences between Windows 8 and Windows RT and realized the difference: RT will -only- run software from the MS App store, MS Office and IE. Ouch. I think Ballmer is/was pissed that there weren't very many apps in the store come launch time. Remember his "Developers Developers Developers" rant?

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:17 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

My Win7 machine kicks ass for editing at literally a fraction of what the comparably equipped Mac would cost... Looking forward to 8, but gonna wait for you guys to shake the bugs out first.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:06 PM
dimi

p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

D. Diggler wrote:

MS has a history of shedding Exec's after major launches and there are stories circulating that he was incredibly difficult to work with and his only real care was about his own product fiefdom (in this case Windows and Office in the past). He would leave the other MS divisions out in the cold and wouldn't share information causing them to fall behind. That and he wanted Balmer's job and Balmer doesn't look to be going anywhere. If they weren't happy with Win8/Metro, they wouldn't have put Larson-Green in charge who is pretty much wholly responsible for the new UI. That and she's a very collaborative builder which is what they need to bring MS together rather than having everyone run their own fiefdom.

Plus analysts usually don't know their head from their....

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:51 PM
sgtbueno
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I am runnning, 7 and W8 and I have a MBP and nothing can touch W8, just try it for few weeks and you'll love it. LR4 is much faster on W8.
Many complaint about Metro but I love it, it is nice to start your pc and see what you like to use right there in front of you, and it is so easy to arrange.

My only issue could be some hardware not working but that issue will be gone if few months.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:18 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password