Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

EOSDNG wrote:
i just switched from Mac OSX Mountain Lion after more then 10 years as a mac book pro user to a Samsung Series 9 Laptop and Windows 8. Mac OS X just got too buggy and sluggish and my Mac Book Pro died after only 19 months. Windows 8 is not so bad and it is much much faster for my Nik plugins and my whole wedding editing workflow.

Any other photographers out there who swichted back or are thinking about?

how did your machine become sluggish? not sure you ,I have a 3 year old MBP that still does a hell of a job.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

"Many businesses, though, say there is no compelling reason to adopt. Windows 8 is, frankly, more of a consumer platform than it is a business platform, so it’s not something that makes any sense from a business perspective at this juncture ...

Microsoft’s main goal is to show it can master the new touch-optimized, mobile forms of computing pioneered by Apple, Its colorful, action-packed advertising for the system are aimed at a young, free-wheeling audience ...

Corporate customers have been lukewarm about the product even after test versions have been available for more than a year ...

We believe 90% of large organizations will not deploy Windows 8 broadly, and at its peak, we expect about 20% of PCs in large organizations will run Windows 8"

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/10/22/why-most-companies-arent-hurrying-to-adopt-windows-8/

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:45 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

D. Diggler wrote:
We believe 90% of large organizations will not deploy Windows 8 broadly, and at its peak, we expect about 20% of PCs in large organizations will run Windows 8"

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/10/22/why-most-companies-arent-hurrying-to-adopt-windows-8/

Frankly Gartner has never impressed me with their predictions Gartner is who is quoted in the article.

http://www.zdnet.com/why-does-the-it-industry-continue-to-listen-to-gartner-7000001394/

Example Gartner prediction:

October 18, 2006 - Gartner: Apple should quit hardware business

Increasing component costs and pressure to cut its prices mean Apple's best bet for long-term success is to quit the hardware business and license the Mac to Dell, analyst firm Gartner claimed on Tuesday.

In a surprisingly ambitious report, called Apple Should License the Mac to Dell, Gartner says Apple should concentrate on what it does best — create software — and make use of Dell's production and distribution infrastructure.

"Apple should leverage its close relationship with Intel and team up with Intel's closest ally, Dell," the report states. "We recognise that this move would surprise and even shock many. We are aware that Steve Jobs cancelled previous Mac licences when he took over at Apple and that he guards the Apple brand zealously."

[…]

Gartner claims that with the right partners, distribution channels and a more affordable price, computers running the Mac OS could eventually account for 20 percent of the total PC market.

How’d that work out? Seriously, I know people have written a lot of stupid “advice for Apple” posts in the past decade, but this is the all-time topper.

As for market predictions, Gartner’s performance in 2009 really defines the term “moving the goal posts.” Follow along with me as we get in the Wayback Machine and set the dial for early 2009:

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:52 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

EOSDNG wrote:
i just switched from Mac OSX Mountain Lion after more then 10 years as a mac book pro user to a Samsung Series 9 Laptop and Windows 8. Mac OS X just got too buggy and sluggish and my Mac Book Pro died after only 19 months. Windows 8 is not so bad and it is much much faster for my Nik plugins and my whole wedding editing workflow.

Any other photographers out there who swichted back or are thinking about?

How's your experience so far? Adobe CS6 appications?

As a Mac user of 10 years, my wedding work combined with my day job work (HD video editing, AECS6 work, etc) is just bogging down even my fast (By Apple standards) 2011 MBP. I am thinking of making a PC tower upgraded to the hilt with Windows 7 or 8 for my office to run the CS6 suite, and not much else. Get a Macbook Air to keep at home and for travel.

As much as I would love a Mac Pro, for the same price I could get a top of the line MBA, top of the line PC Tower with gajjilians of rams and hdd TBs, an extra monitor, and a new lens plus a nice night out with the lady friend.

Anyways, does anyone know of any nice looking PC cases that don?t look totally corny-gamer-spaceship-from-ID4? Something brushed aluminum?

Oct 22, 2012 at 08:33 PM
spink
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Bhaller status?
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1416&id=1897

These are nice
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?S=1411

And this:
http://www.antec.com/product.php?Per=4

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:12 AM
drpeters
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

spink wrote:
Bhaller status?

Ummmm... yes! Want. What a sweet looking case!

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:28 AM
EOSDNG
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

After I switched, the first week it was kind of weird. I was unsure, whether i did the right thing and switch back after so many years. But then, i began to realize, that a photographer can work with a very good Windows laptop or tower as well.

Windows 7/8 is very stable, but I will use Windows 8. I kind of like the new grafics of metro.

I got e very fast SSD, i7, aluminum Samung laptop, etc, for much less then a Mac counterpar. The new retina 13* Mac Book Pros are much to expensive and have in my opinion not enough power for serial editing in Lightroom.

Now, after two weeks, I am glad, that i did switch and took the plunge. My wedding worklow got much faster now.

Yes a wedding photographer can also work in an efficient way with Windows powered devices. The good old Macs from the good old times are gone....who cares about 13* retina laptops anyway??

Oct 23, 2012 at 09:03 PM
drpeters
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I found a nice article summing up many of the security, reliability, and memory handling enhancements found in Win8. I will soon be upgrading from Win7 to Win8. I'm stoked!

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/better-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I have just moved from XP to Win7 earlier this year!

Win8 pricing is tempting though.

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:41 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Played with Win8 at the local store tonight. Very cool actually. I wouldn't use touch screen though. I'd also run it in classic mode anyway. Bottom line is it's much slimmer and un-bloated. I may give it a shot after all. Just waiting for reviews on compatibility and performance with LR, PS, etc..

spink wrote:
Bhaller status?

I tried my damnedest to use that case in my last build. Could not make the PS work/fit.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ziffl3
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

upgrade tonight. Need to get trend micro back on line and then play around a bit.

LR4 came right up. need to play and see if they are any noticeable changes in overall performance.

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:23 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Ghost wrote:
I have just moved from XP to Win7 earlier this year!

I have two machines on XP and just moved the third machine to Windows 7 about two months back.

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Installed Windows 8 a few days ago and not really crazy on it. The whole metro thing to launch progs is a pain in the backside and the 'app' versions of stuff like skype and evernote just take over the entire screen, menu bar and taskbar because they are designed for tablets. Now I have caved in and installed classic shell and the convertional versions of programs and tempted to make my next PC a hackintosh.

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:02 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Sounds like you need this: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57543008-292/win8-startbutton-gets-your-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:32 AM
drpeters
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

A lot of people freaked out about the transition from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95. What the hell is this "start" button?!?!?! It is stupid.

Now it seems everyone is accustomed to it. Heheheheh

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:52 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

LR 4.2 works just fine on Win 8, I installed it on one of desktops and so far so good.

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

After some more use of windows 8 there does seem to be an improvement in the speed of copying files between drives and memory management appears to be much better. Super fast boot is nice to. LR seems to be about the same speed.

With classic shell installed and a few progs to replace the windows 'apps' that insist of obliterating everything on the screen, life is good. After having done it, I cannot really see a compelling reason to bother with the hassle of upgrading from 7 though.

drpeters wrote:
A lot of people freaked out about the transition from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95. What the hell is this "start" button?!?!?! It is stupid.

Now it seems everyone is accustomed to it. Heheheheh

Yeah I thought that until I installed 8. Really it is quite a mess.

Nov 03, 2012 at 01:55 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

Just wanted to share my experience with Win8.

Let's get the first thing out of the way. It's a feeble attempt by Microsoft to simply throw an app store on your PC; in hopes you will spend money. That's the bottom line where any "upgrade" is concerned.

Now, to the meat n' potatoes. The OS is leaner and faster. That's obvious. On my system, it's really flying with LR, PS, etc. I've noticed a considerable increase in speed in LR 4.2. Of course, this is a completely fresh install. LR is moving along somewhere around 15-20% faster for me. That's across the board. Everything's faster. That alone was worth the upgrade.

That said, the metro addition is complete garbage. It's useless. It truly needs to be an option. Since this is a photo forum, I won't go too far into it, but for those that still haven't wrapped your head around what Win8 really is, it's simply taking your start "menu" and turning it into a start "screen". That's all. It's very hard to find apps. You'll spend time searching and adding them to the start screen. I pretty much blitzed everything that came with the system and simply put all my photography related app launchers on this start screen. I'm a big fan of using the keyboard and G13 shortcuts, so 95% of my launches are all on a button. The only reason I added links to the start screen was for my son and wife. Otherwise, it'd be blank and used purely for system links. (control panel, etc.)

So, is it worth it? If you have a killer system that's being a little held back by a previous bloated version of Windows, I think it's worth the hassle. (if you feel like spending a day going through it) Don't let the pretty mail, calendar, etc. apps hook you. They're useless. There are far too many features not implemented for any of them to be really useful. I deleted them.

I agree with the above comment regarding other system speeds. copying, etc. seems much faster as well. I'm one of those that gets rid of the recycle bin and sets "delete" to "delete". When I delete something, it's instant now. As in the instant my finger hits the button.

The bottom line; the speed was worth the money and hassle. If I weren't a photographer, I'd be pissed. lol

Nov 03, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Cincy Bruce
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

I have no complaints with Windows 7. I need to get a quality display.

Bruce

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:35 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Windows 8 for wedding photographers

amonline wrote:
Just wanted to share my experience with Win8.

Let's get the first thing out of the way. It's a feeble attempt by Microsoft to simply throw an app store on your PC; in hopes you will spend money. That's the bottom line where any "upgrade" is concerned.

Now, to the meat n' potatoes. The OS is leaner and faster. That's obvious. On my system, it's really flying with LR, PS, etc. I've noticed a considerable increase in speed in LR 4.2. Of course, this is a completely fresh install. LR is moving along somewhere around 15-20% faster for me. That's across the
...Show more
after a couple of days .... this is pretty much in-line with my thoughts.
I do like the search function. also the task manager has a better interface.

I do like the option to do a re-install at any time. while this is not new - how it is integrated is nice. just have to see how it works.

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:31 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password