Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New to Senior Pics critique please

sandman22
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to Senior Pics critique please

Hey all,

I did a few senior pictures for a couple players on my football team this fall. I mainly shoot sports but want to get into the senior pictures a little more since I am a teacehr and coach and have good contacts through that. Any advice on these or other random advice is appreciated. I have thick skin and don't get offended to easily, but I am new to it as well

Thanks

Ben

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:04 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to Senior Pics critique please

5-8

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:07 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to Senior Pics critique please

last ones

12-he wanted this one...does it work for a senior picture? I guess if hte client likes it huh

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:20 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to Senior Pics critique please

You definitely had a nice comfort level with your subject. There's a real consistency to your shots: the subject is facing you, with his shoulders largely square to the camera. Nothing wrong with that, but mixing things up is always nice. You also don't have a single full-body shot of him standing up. Three crouched shots seems a bit much to me. I'd also be careful about shooting in direct sunlight. Look at his eyes in 1, 2 and 3, how nice they are, compared to the shots in direct sunlight when his eyes are in dark shadows, and he's squinting.

Overall, a good series and I'm sure the senior is very happy about them. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing your next senior shoot.

Ron

Edit: You added some more while I was commenting, including a full body shot... and another crouched shot. I really like that last one, it's the most artistic shot in your group! I think it really says something about your senior there.

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:57 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to Senior Pics critique please

I don't do any senior work, so take all of this with that in mind.
This may sound extra harsh, but you obviously spent some time thinking about locations and care for the students so take my critique in the best way possible. I think this is a solid set. As mentioned, you did a good job scouting our some areas with nice backgrounds ahead of time (brick wall, foliage, fence, bridge?, locker room, etc.), and did a good job getting him in consistent light. However, almost all of the photos are center composed with a similar look and it almost feels like he could have been photoshopped into each subsequent scene. For all of the good areas, you didn't take advantage of interesting lines/light/foreground elements that could add further interest to the photos. In addition, the smiles feel forced and only one felt real. For me, 12 was the most interesting and original of the group.
Dave

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:27 AM
hartiganphoto

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to Senior Pics critique please

I agree with Fris. There's a nice consistency to the shots.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to Senior Pics critique please

Do more of the last
it's what they want...cool and edgy photos of what they like doing or are into.

The Football one could have been so much better, Have him in full gear with some dirt on him and sweat etc and take a few shots like that. Process them similar to the last with lots of contrast etc.

Lately my number of shots taken are going down in a session. I'm spending more time getting a few unique captures for the clients, instead of similar shots that look the same. I'd prefer to deliver 15-20 really good shots the 60-100 of the same stuff.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to Senior Pics critique please

Some good stuff here. WB is a little inconsistent, and you should do some minor skin work. Shots in direct sunlight are far less flattering, as already mentioned.

1 is nice, but might be a bit soft? I like the shot in 3 better than 2, but the expression is better in 2. Expressions tend to be what matters to clients. 4 and 5 are good, but I think WB needs work in 4, and the duotone doesn't really work for me in 5.

12 is killer, I love it. Care to explain how you lit that? I've tried stuff like that before and it never quite works out for me.

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:49 PM
jkkwan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New to Senior Pics critique please

As some already mentioned, color balance was a bit off in some of the pictures, most notably 4.

One thing that could definitely be improved, is the amount of light that's hitting his eye sockets. This is sort of emphasized by the shape of his eyes, but you could definitely improve it either by PP or adding in some flash, or having him tilt his head up just a bit so more light can get in there. His eyes are just so dark in the majority of the pictures that it ruins the mood a little.

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:03 PM

Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New to Senior Pics critique please

#4 will look good in B&W I think.

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:30 PM
hleidich
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New to Senior Pics critique please

I think you have gotten some good feedback already...I do think this is a decent set for your first time...I really like #4...I only noticed one other comment but I would fix the few "large" red blemish marks...even guys would prefer these weren't there

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:02 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New to Senior Pics critique please

Fris - Thanks for the feedback there are alot of crouch shots...sorry didn't realize when posting!

qwyjibo - I feel my 2 biggest weaknesses are composition and white balance/color issues I need to work on those and get stuck shooting center way to much!! I shoot so tight with sports it usually ends up that way

Thanks to all the rest for commenting I havent done any facial touch ups yet because he hasnt picked his final images. Lighting was actually done in a dark wrestling room with believe it or not construction lights.....

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New to Senior Pics critique please

2-are the eyes to creepy in this?? just bad overall??

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New to Senior Pics critique please

I really need to pay attention to my composition dang.......need to bring my wife along with em she was an art major should help.....

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:53 AM
gschlact
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New to Senior Pics critique please

I like the composition and backgrounds. However, I would have like to have seen some fill catch lights in the eyes from some slight flash or other technique.

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:24 AM
oxman

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New to Senior Pics critique please

Avoid full sun and ease up on the color saturation of many of them.
good start.

Oct 17, 2012 at 06:25 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New to Senior Pics critique please

In this last set, 2 and 4 are blown out, probably from post. Need to tone that down, the skin has gone completely white.

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:07 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New to Senior Pics critique please

I think a lot of these could benefit from some fill flash. I think it would benefit to help eliminate the shadows in the eye area and also add a catch-light in the eyes. WB has already been mentioned. Though I'm more about making the WB pleasing. Use a gray card when shooting, set the WB and then adjust the WB after that to taste.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password