New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Old School House

Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old School House

An image converted to B/W. I have also included a jpeg original for re-works. I intentionally cropped out the sky and peak of the School. The main thing I don't like is the foreground grass, tried burning but didn't care for the results. Your insights appreciated. Barbara

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old School House

Conversion looks good to me and BW is the superior choice for the mood. I like the "framing" of the branches. They feel like they are encroaching. A good thing for the story implied.
Tweaks?
What do you think about the image if you take 10-20% off the top?
Scott

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old School House

Hi Barbara,

Sometimes when you’re traveling, you can’t pick the time of day for shooting interesting subjects. I like the B&W treatment, it gets rid of the in-shadow problem. I think the overall crop is crowding the structure. I’d like to see a crop of just the door and former surrounding frame line. More room to work a crop. And maybe brown tone. Just my two cents worth.

Bert

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old School House

Played around but nothing changes much form your BW version - grasses keep turning to gray mush. You can transform and clone out the grasses but this likely introduces other problems

Bob

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:38 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old School House

The light is boring and the fence distracting, making the B & W version significantly better.

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:22 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old School House

Scott, I think removing a little more off the top could work nicely.

Bert, good suggestions. I have shot this school house from several differing angles so I have a few more to choose from. I did keep the compositions tight to the overall building and probably should have done an even tighter close up. Toning might look really nice as well.

Karen, thank you for commenting. At this time of year it receives light on the sides of the building and not the front, so I do plan a reshoot when the sun is located in a better position. I do like the image overall with the branches and conversion to B/W helping to make a stronger composition.

Barbara

Oct 15, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old School House

It feels very crowded. Including more of the building would help, I think. Or you could go much tighter.

I prefer the black and white version for sure.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old School House

Mister Bean, my intention was to focus on the branches framing the building and a tighter crop may improve the image. The location of the school house surrounded by trees makes it very difficult to include more of the front of the schoolhouse. Glad you prefer the B/W, I like it over the color myself.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.