Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Shirts?

robertVphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shirts?

What brand button up shirts do you recommend. Looking for something to with stand the rigors photographers put them to and shirts that don't untuck to easy... Maybe I'm asking to much.
Thanks in advance

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shirts?

Jcrew

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shirts?

Polo

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shirts?

Fish Net.

Just kidding. Seriously, Ex Officio makes tough, comfortable shirts that breath well for warm weather. They are really designed for fishermen.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Swaggart
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shirts?

JCrew makes great reasonably priced fitted dress shirts, great colors and fit! Levi's work shirts are among the best looking/durable shirts I've owned. I get compliments on my Levi's shirts while shooting weddings on a regular basis. I've worn the same one for maybe 30 weddings straight, still in amazing shape showing no signs or wear at all. Their Commutor shirts have a longer cut in the back so that should keep them from untucking, I wouldn't know for sure because I never tuck my shirts in!

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:10 AM
MBMK
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shirts?

I wear express men slim fit. untuckig is an issue with all shirts ive worn.

for some weddings I will wear polo shirt untucked

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:21 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shirts?

I don't bother to tuck because at some point it starts to come out and look sloppy. This is why I look for nice shirts that are designed to not be tucked in; though nerds will probably tuck them in anyway because they tuck everything in with their pants up to their chin

Sears
Express Men
Kohls

I look for comfortable fabrics, nice styling, durability, low cost to purchase a few, and no tuck

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:38 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shirts?

For the last three weddings I have worn a simple black nordstroms brand trim fit black dress shirt.

They are quite cheap if you have a nordstroms rack nearby and they look like they will be much better with wear than boss to express range of shirts.

Oct 16, 2012 at 02:54 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shirts?

I love J Crew shirts, too. They start out tucked, but are untucked by the end of the ceremony. No biggie.

I also have 2 Ted Baker shirts that I love.

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:40 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shirts?

Why do y'all have so much trouble staying tucked...? You doing jumping jacks and squats?

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shirts?

Express. The best. The higher-end H&M stuff is good too, although not quite as nice as Express.

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:50 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shirts?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Why do y'all have so much trouble staying tucked...? You doing jumping jacks and squats?

Combination of beer belly, crouching, overhead shots...

Oct 16, 2012 at 04:54 AM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shirts?

Honest? I've said this before, and I'll say it again - IF you have the budget, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING fits like a made to measure shirt. No me, I'm a big fat guy (although 85 lbs less fat than 6 months ago, so...), and because of it my shirts always came untucked (along with the fact I'm built wierd - I have the torso length of someone 6ft 6, but the leg/arm length of someone about 5 ft). When I get Made to measure, they measure that length, AND I tell them "make the tails a bit longer than normal please", and now my shirts never come untucked, even crawling under desks during the day job. The beauty of this is MtM shirts have REALLY come down in price in recent years. You go to YOUR tailor measure you to the provided chart, you send it off, and a few weeks later, you have your shirts (you can also have your SO measure you). Depending on options/fabric etc, they can run as low as say $60, and go UP (if you are looking for fabrics in say a 140 thread count, you can easily spend $150 for a shirt, BUT they are not a tough shirt, but a very very fine shirt like you see in a high end Tux) (there is even one place that will do your first shirt for $20) - look around (I tend to go to a place that is more expensive, because I'm hard to fit)

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Allan Summers
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shirts?

Bank of Outsiders, Thom Browne, Ralph Lauren Black label, Psycho Bunny and like someone mentioned before made to measure.

H&M, Express, and all the mall type fashion brands just seem disposable to me. Wash them 3 times and the shirts look like crap. If you're on a budget I would try J. Crew and only when it goes on final clearance for like $20-30. Stay away from the J. Crew factory shirts they aren't made of the same quality.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:11 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shirts?

Get "Tall" or "long" size dress shirts. Most places wont carry them in the stores and you'll have to order online. I just ordered a bunch of Large "Tall" stuff from Banana Republic and I feel like I have been wearing the wrong size clothes all my life. I needed "Tall". I literally did not have to adjust/re tuck in my shirt all day last wedding, only when going to the bathroom.

It is as big a deal as going from cotton underwear to under armor underwear

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shirts?

express v-neck.

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:33 AM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shirts?

Charles Gallo wrote:
IF you have the budget, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING fits like a made to measure shirt.

+100

Even photographers that like to think of themselves as ninjas at weddings are the most conspicuous person in attendance - even more so than the bride and groom because they belong there, photographers don't (you get my meaning, I'm sure).

In most cases, for male photographers the two most apparent visuals are the gear around their neck and the shirt they wear.

IMHO, custom shirts (and well-fitted trousers/jackets/suits) are a wise brand investment - not to mention the practical comfort.

Oh... and while we're talking about dress - consider shoes. People will see more of your shirt but savvy clients and attendees will judge you by your shoes. A man can have greaseball hair and get away with it if their shoes are well-chosen and immaculate.

If you don't immediately agree (read: already know this) you might take some time to read a few GQish sites.

Shoes are the quickest wardrobe item to go to h*ll. That's why they're such an acid test for well groomed men. If our shoes are in order, likely the rest of us is too.

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:03 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shirts?

TTLKurtis wrote:

I hope that's a joke.

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:25 PM
gabemc
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shirts?

banana republic non-iron dress shirts.

Oct 21, 2012 at 09:25 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shirts?