Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Holdfast vs spider pro

DmitriM
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Swaggart wrote:
I don't think this is accurate-for me and many users at least and I know that everyone is different but...
I use the MoneyMaker with the Nikon D3x with 300 2.8 attached ALL the time, I've spent day shoots with that and also a D700 attached and worked extremely well. Shoot, I carry three camera at once at every wedding so weight to me isn't really a concern. And I kneel all the time and the camera never touch the ground.

But to the original question the systems are vastly different and it comes down to shoot style, what works best
...Show more

What's not correct? The heavy camera part or the 2 cameras minimum? I've never used it and it maybe ok with heavier cameras. Though, I don't see how it can be comfortable(if you use 1 camera) since you will have a ton of weight on one shoulder instead of spread over 2 shoulders like with a Q-strap.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Swaggart
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Yeah you can carry a lot of weight comfortably, but the design of the MM, it rivets in the back so this disperses the weight very well. I routinely carry a D3x on one side for the day. Yes it is heavier on one side but the weight gets dispersed very well and isn't a bother. There are plenty of independent reviews out there that highlight this aspect of the MoneyMaker. I designed it to handle 1 to 3 cameras equally well. But some things need to be tested before making assumptions.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM
S-Man23
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I recently got a MM and used it for two weddings. With such limited use, I can say it works best with two cameras to balance the weight on your shoulders.
With just one body/lens (on my right side) it's not uncomfortable, but naturally you do feel more weight on one shoulder. The strap on that side does tend to slide down a little bit, but it hasn't slid off my shoulder yet.
It's not like it distributes the weight of one camera to the other shoulder. But the design does make it where the more the right strap slides off to the edge of your shoulder, the left strap starts to compensate and hold the strap on to your shoulder more.
I'm loving the strap so far. Even when you wear a messenger bag on one side, you can still use both cameras really easily without it getting tangled like in a rapid strap setup.

edit: I have received several comments on how it looks like I might be carrying a pistol, and one comment that it looked like I was wearing a piece of S&M gear

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Swaggart wrote:
I designed it to handle 1 to 3 cameras equally well. But some things need to be tested before making assumptions.

At $250-350, it's too expensive to test. This is why we have threads like this; it gives us a chance to discuss pros and cons. It's not there to attack your business...

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Holdfast vs spider pro

S-Man23 wrote:
I recently got a MM and used it for two weddings. With such limited use, I can say it works best with two cameras to balance the weight on your shoulders.
With just one body/lens (on my right side) it's not uncomfortable, but naturally you do feel more weight on one shoulder. The strap on that side does tend to slide down a little bit, but it hasn't slid off my shoulder yet.
It's not like it distributes the weight of one camera to the other shoulder. But the design does make it where the more the right strap slides off
...Show more
Thanks, it's all I wanted to hear. Spider is amazing for my 24L since it takes away a lot of weight from your shoulders. But I can only carry 1 camera comfortably. Now I just need to get something that works well with my 70-200 on the shoulders.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Swaggart
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Holdfast vs spider pro

DmitriM wrote:
At $250-350, it's too expensive to test. This is why we have threads like this; it gives us a chance to discuss pros and cons. It's not there to attack your business...

For sure! I didn't feel attacked, I just wanted to communicate its design. The tighter you wear it, the more evenly it distributes the weight, the looser you wear it the more the weight becomes an issue.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM
S-Man23
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Swaggart wrote:
For sure! I didn't feel attacked, I just wanted to communicate its design. The tighter you wear it, the more evenly it distributes the weight, the looser you wear it the more the weight becomes an issue.

That sounds like it would work. I'll have to try tightening it up and see how it feels.

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:57 AM
DmitriM
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Holdfast vs spider pro

S-Man23 wrote:
That sounds like it would work. I'll have to try tightening it up and see how it feels.

Would you mind posting it here your findings

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:21 AM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I bought the MoneyMaker early last week, and messaged Matt (Swaggart) to see if I would be able to get it by the weekend to use at a wedding... well, he pulled some strings (being out of town) and it arrived on Friday (just in time!)

I didn't bother to adjust the straps as it felt comfortable when I put it on, but I shot with the MM plus 5D2 with 35/50 attached and 5D2 with 85/70-200 attached all day (12p-11p) with no issues at all. I would occasionally unattach a body when I knew I wouldn't switch between the two bodies & the weight of one camera on one side wasn't very noticable or uncomfortable. I woke up the next day and wasn't sore around the shoulders either, so overall I think the design works well.

Now, this system is a different system then the Spider/belt system, so I don't think it's worth comparing the two... I think the Spider system works very well for those that want to take the weight off your shoulders (I also own the single camera system) but the MM is works well for those that want to combine comfort & style. So, both work well, it's just a matter of preference & taste

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Don't use straps.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

paregorike
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Just recently got the MM in burgundy buffalo. Such an exquisite piece of product. I can't wait to use this for my first wedding of the year. You do feel a slight more weight with only one cam but negligible. The leather is awesome and the metal used seems very sturdy and of high quality. I ordered the large since I wear XL clothes. There is still a lot of leeway if you need more adjustments. It feels good even with two cams.

Thanks to Matt for practically getting me the product in 3 days!

Ron

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:06 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I'm a SpiderPro Dual + Think Tank Steroid Belt user with the Pixel Racing Harness. It's basically like not hauling gear around. I also use the Think Tank Skin modular system which allows me to bring 3-4 lenses, 1-2 speedlites, extra batteries, extra SD/CF cards, and 2 pro sized bodies. Most times I don't fill it full but it's quite handy. I got tired of straps so the Holdfast system as well as the Black Rapids system don't work for me. I also feel that a holster system needs to be built really well so I've also considered the Capture Camera Clip but it seems like a much slower system than the SpiderPro. The Steroid Belt + SpiderPro system seems to take all the weight off and redistribute it through my entire body so it feels better than a backpack or daypack. The steroid belt is also padded which helps my back a lot. It's pretty much designed for professional shooting. The SpiderPro clips are also over-engineered so they will definitely hold all the weight of a pro body plus a telephoto like the 70-200mm. You can also re-holster the camera quickly and safely (as in without looking at the holster) using the SpiderPro clips which is great since I like to rest the camera bodies on my belt so I don't have too much shoulder, arm, and wrist strain. The only thing I need now is a shoulder stock or something to help steady and support the 70-200 + pro sized body more easily so I can take longer exposures.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:40 AM
jbrandt378
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Would anyone mind posting some pics of their belt systems in action. I'm curious to see the different set up you all use, even though they sound pretty similar.

Thanks

Jan 06, 2013 at 05:44 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I did a quick review of the SpiderPro belt on YouTube last year. I posted the link below. I'll have to make a new video or photo set of my current Steroid Belt since that was done in November. Here's a video. Please excuse the crazy stuff

http://www.atlphotography.com/spiderpro-dual-dslr-holster-epic-pwnage-for-photographers/

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:00 AM
RKTodd
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Holdfast vs spider pro

For those already using the Spider Pro, you're probably already aware of this but for those considering it, I have one word of caution. The Spider creates a solid anchor point at your side and therefore is not forgiving if you happen to bump into something like a door frame (don't ask how I know this). I tried the Spider and moved on to the Hold Fast. Aside from occasionally bumping things, I couldn't stand the belt around my hips. Both are great systems, just offering my experiences.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:31 PM
S-Man23
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Holdfast vs spider pro

DmitriM wrote:
Would you mind posting it here your findings

Yes after having worked with it since the above quote, I have tightened the straps and it does help balance the weight.
One thing I have noticed though, sometimes (a lot of times) my shirt will get caught in the sliding D-Ring that is around the shoulder harness and connects to the camera anchor strap, and it stops my camera from coming up to my eye. I have to pull my shirt out and pull the camera away and up. Other than that I'm still loving the MM.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:18 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Holdfast vs spider pro

whtrbt7 wrote:
I did a quick review of the SpiderPro belt on YouTube last year. I posted the link below. I'll have to make a new video or photo set of my current Steroid Belt since that was done in November. Here's a video. Please excuse the crazy stuff

http://www.atlphotography.com/spiderpro-dual-dslr-holster-epic-pwnage-for-photographers/

Do you realize you have the pins on the wrong side for the side of your body you're putting the camera on? If it works for you, great, but if you didn't realize it you may want to try it the way they show on their website which would have a flash hanging straight down.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:47 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Ah yeah, that was my first day with the belt. I've figured out that you can use them either way. This is especially true if you don't use the pads. The only thing about the reverse method is that it can cause extra friction if you have too much weight on them.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:24 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Holdfast vs spider pro

DmitriM wrote:
Both setups don't work too well with heavy cameras(eg. 5D series+70-200L)
Wit spider, it's too heavy,can be uncomfortable at waste line.

With HoldFast, it seems it's best to use 2 cameras(must not be heavy). I can't see how it can be comfortable if you hang just 1 5D+ 70-200L. Would put too much weight on that side of the body and the whole thing would slide to that side too.

For 1 camera, Quick-strap is the best option. Yet, the issue I have with it is that the shoulder pad slides every time you bring the camera to your face to take a
...Show more

I couldn't disagree more. I use my HoldFast setup with an extremely heavy Contax medium format film setup with battery grip on one side and nothing but a dinky little light meter on the other side and it's not sliding all over the place or uncomfortable at all. You do feel more weight on one side, sure, but it's well distributed and feels good.

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:32 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Swaggart wrote:
I carry three camera at once at every wedding

Thought I was the only one here crazy enough to be doing that.

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:48 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password