Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Holdfast vs spider pro

robertVphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Ok, short and sweet. I am at the end of shooting 13 straight. I have went through 2 different straps and nothing is working for me. My neck is killing me. Iv done the black rapids and the Riley g. Great products just not for me. So this is opinion only, but which is the better choice the spider pro or a holdfast. I am not a small guy 240 and 6"1 I know I need a diet, but that's besides the point. 99% of the day I'm carrying a prime lens and I only carry a d4. So no two camera set up as of yet. So what do you guys think.
Thanks

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I have the spider pro system and I LOVE it. I'll never go back to straps. I took the straps on both of my bodies bc they got in the way. The balance and ease of use with the spider system is incredible.

No experience with the holdfast.

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:45 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I can't speak about the holdfast, but I use the Spider pro system as well, and love it as well. I like how it puts the weight of the camera on your hips instead of your shoulders or neck. And it's very easy to get the camera on and off.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM
blackdogimages
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I'm not here to debate, just state my experience. I started shooting the get ready shots with my bride yesterday at 07:30 A.M. and finished the band/reception at 07:00 P.M. It was the longest wedding day of my entire career.
I received my new HoldFast Money Maker last week and am blown away with the product. The fit and finish are top rated and the comfort level is complete bliss for me. My wife commented several times during the day how quickly I was going between cameras.

That is it.

Ben

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:45 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Not sure how the HF system will help your neck as it does not take the weight off of your shoulders....

I love the spider setup.

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:16 AM
amachi

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Just ordered a burgundy water buffalo from holdfast. Will post my review once I had a chance to play with it

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:33 AM
cre55107
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Holdfast vs spider pro

It just depends if you want anything on your shoulders. The belt is nice, I have used the spider holster. I do like it, but as dumb as it sounds. Sometimes I didn't get my camera in the holster fast enough. And by that I am saying just a few seconds, but after the course of a 10 hour day, it adds up. Plus I am a space cadet sometimes and have almost just let go of it and dropped it on the ground.

I am going to order the holdfast gear right now. I only carry one camera and I do already have the version from black rapid. But I really like the look Holdfast has.

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:34 AM
selece
• •
Account locked
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Spider stuff works as long as you can get used to the mechanism. I generally shoot a D3s + 35/85/135 primes all day and this + a Think Tank belt and pouches gets me through most of the day just fine. I have lights and stuff in a separate rolling bag, but this is what stays on my body for 95% of the day and it works.

Oct 15, 2012 at 08:46 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I've never used a hold fast.. so I can't speak to that... but I'm currently using a spider pro on a thinkthank belt and I love it. I feel so much better the day after. It takes all of the weight off your shoulders and moves it to your hips.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Holdfast vs spider pro

RichardLavigne wrote:
I've never used a hold fast.. so I can't speak to that... but I'm currently using a spider pro on a thinkthank belt and I love it. I feel so much better the day after. It takes all of the weight off your shoulders and moves it to your hips.

This is exactly what I'm doing as well. I have a ThinkTank Steroid belt, and I use all the pouches and bags that came with their modular system. The SpiderPro holsters go in the first slot immediately next to the belt on either side.

When you attach the optional pixel racing harness, the weight of the gear is evenly distributed across both shoulders and your hips.

Having just spent several minutes on the Holdfast website, I don't see anything even close to the same capabilities from that system. It certainly looks nice (even if it's totally not my style to look so damned hipster.) However, I sincerely doubt the HF system would provide the same type of experience as the SpiderPro holster/ThinkTank combo.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jackal2854
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Holdfast vs spider pro

My experience with Spider pro and BlackRapid Sport II Strap. I first got the SpiderPro and was Ok, but find it bulky and definitely a lot slower getting the camera from a resting point to a ready shoot stance. The quality is very good, but found it uncomfortable after a while; specially with my 70-200 lens.
They I bought the BlackRapid SportII - wow - I say wow. Love it. Distributes the weight perfectly and I am ready to shoot from a resting point in a flash. Big difference for sure. I find it very comfortable and I am thrilled with it; also a better value in MHO.
Having said all that; I am very aware that each individual has their own set of needs and preferences. As I read above, what works for one does not necessarily work for others. All I can say is; I wish I bought the Blackrapid first; could have saved a lot of cash. When I get back from my China assignement I will put the Spider Pro on sale.
Carlos

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:53 AM
dsouzl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I've used the Hold Fast MoneyMaker strap for the past 15-20 weddings and I'm pretty happy with it. If you do go this route, throw out the camera screws that come with the strap and replace them with these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/808810-REG/California_Sunbounce_N_SSN_BCSS_Sun_Sniper_Bear_Camera_Screw.html

These allow the camera to twist and turn without working the screw loose. That said, I've gotten into the habit of checking the tightness of the screws numerous times during the shoot. I've dropped cameras twice due to loose screws.

The BEST part of wearing the Hold Fast strap is a fringe benefit - if you forget to take it off after a wedding...and then go into a convenience store to buy a drink late at night...anyone who's a little drunk will assume you're a police officer and start acting really guilty. I'm guessing they think the leather straps are for firearms.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Spider. You'll never go back.

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:05 PM
BriMcD
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Spider pro + Think Tank Belt = Happy shoulders and neck!!

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Apples and oranges. Dual shoulder holster vs. belt holster. They don't compare. Each has certain strengths and weaknesses. Only way to know for sure which is best for you would be to buy/borrow both and see which you like best.

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:57 AM
ichiban
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Holdfast vs spider pro

i'd like to ask the people who have used the moneymaker on how they perform with a flash. My only concern right now is during reception time, if you have two cameras with flashes attached, how does it feel with the moneymaker?

Nov 01, 2012 at 07:30 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Holdfast vs spider pro

I am in a situation where I am torn between the holdfast money maker and the spider holder system. I have always used straps, and even though I am used to them and fine with them, I want to try something different. My main concern with the money maker or holster system is that I regularly get down on the ground when shooting. When I am using straps, it's as easy as slipping the extra camera off my shoulder and setting it down. How does that work for the other systems?

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:07 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Holdfast vs spider pro

just ordered the HF MoneyMaker in bridle/chestnut

looking to replace my spider pro (single) + BR strap setup, which worked perfectly fine, but the MoneyMaker just looks so nice & I like to look good

Nov 12, 2012 at 08:52 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Holdfast vs spider pro

Both setups don't work too well with heavy cameras(eg. 5D series+70-200L)
Wit spider, it's too heavy,can be uncomfortable at waste line.

With HoldFast, it seems it's best to use 2 cameras(must not be heavy). I can't see how it can be comfortable if you hang just 1 5D+ 70-200L. Would put too much weight on that side of the body and the whole thing would slide to that side too.

For 1 camera, Quick-strap is the best option. Yet, the issue I have with it is that the shoulder pad slides every time you bring the camera to your face to take a picture. When you put it back, the shoulder pad usually somewhere around your back... It would be great to have that strap with some kind of an additional strap that would securely hold the shoulder pad on the shoulder. This way you don't have to adjust it 100 times a day.

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Swaggart
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Holdfast vs spider pro

DmitriM wrote:
Both setups don't work too well with heavy cameras(eg. 5D series+70-200L)
Wit spider, it's too heavy,can be uncomfortable at waste line.

With HoldFast, it seems it's best to use 2 cameras(must not be heavy). I can't see how it can be comfortable if you hang just 1 5D+ 70-200L. Would put too much weight on that side of the body and the whole thing would slide to that side too.

For 1 camera, Quick-strap is the best option. Yet, the issue I have with it is that the shoulder pad slides every time you bring the camera to your face to take a
...Show more

I don't think this is accurate-for me and many users at least and I know that everyone is different but...
I use the MoneyMaker with the Nikon D3x with 300 2.8 attached ALL the time, I've spent day shoots with that and also a D700 attached and worked extremely well. Shoot, I carry three camera at once at every wedding so weight to me isn't really a concern. And I kneel all the time and the camera never touch the ground.

But to the original question the systems are vastly different and it comes down to shoot style, what works best for one may not be good for another!

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password