FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10              13       14       end

Archive 2012 · Medium-Large Format tips

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Medium-Large Format tips

That is a 6008 professional, I thought you mentioned a 6008i? This is the previous model, quite similar. It looks in quite good shape.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:50 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Medium-Large Format tips

carstenw wrote:
That is a 6008 professional, I thought you mentioned a 6008i? This is the previous model, quite similar. It looks in quite good shape.

I had, but i realized after tons of research i made a mistake! I hope it still is as good though! im positive itll be great!

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:51 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Medium-Large Format tips

The 6008 series cameras were some of the best and most advanced 6 X 6 cameras ever made. Use it in good health. I never had the fortune of handling any of these fine cameras myself.

Rich

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:01 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Medium-Large Format tips

Yes, it is quite similar. I found this list of differences, but I am not sure if some are really differences:

Rolleiflex 6008 Professional (1988-1992) features:

Advanced light metering with SPOT meter.
Metering now with aperture priority or program priority.
Convenient adjustable handgrip.
High definition viewing screen.
Auto bracketing available.
Uses the SCA 3000 TTL flash system rather than the 300-series system.

And the SRC 1000 can use the PQS lenses to 1/1000s.

Rolleiflex 6008i or Integral (1995-?) features:

Fully featured camera.
Instant return mirror with pre-release facility.
Attachable Master Electronic Control unit to allow remote release, and offers additional metering options.
Can disengage film advance for multiple exposures.
Has an optional "silent mode" where film advance and mirror return are both slowed down.
TTL lighting control possible with non-dedicated flash units or steady studio lighting.
Daylight interchangeable backs with integral darkslide.
Auto film advance to first exposure and Auto-rewind.
Motorized film advance at 2.5 frames per sec.
Multi-spot metering available.
Auto bracketing of 3 exposures +/- 2/3 EV with a manual option in 1/3 steps from -4 2/3 to +2EV.
Auto exposure lock.
Center-weighted metering with 7 photocells in 5 groups behind mirror.
Two Linear Motors for aperture and shutter control.
Solenoid controlled shutter release.
Ten-second self-timer.
Cable release facility available.
Convenient multi-position "Action Grip" is attachable.
Jack for 14-pin remote control cable/or "Master Control".
Pre-release mirror capability.

Some of these overlap. Of the differences only potentially the instant return mirror and auto-exposure lock would bother me, and maybe the cable release. Can you confirm that your camera doesn't have an instant return mirror, i.e. after making a shot, the mirror returns to viewing position? This seems odd to me, as it is a motorised camera, I would have expected that they all have this. Maybe it is just the pre-release which is new. And the daylight interchangeable backs I think is also common to all the cameras.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:05 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Medium-Large Format tips

still waiting to get my first roll of black & white back from the lab. i just finished a roll of provia 400 and am going to drop that off soon. started a roll of delta 3200 now.

i'm going to have to either shoot all color or learn to develop b&w because the wait is killing me. i think this is the third week but i've lost track

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:05 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Medium-Large Format tips

These cameras are very nice to operate, almost like modern cameras, although some of the directions of rotation are opposite the expected. Everything feels very smooth and well thought out, unlike Hasselblads, which, charming as they are, feel quite clunky and archaic.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:06 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Medium-Large Format tips

Goose, developing B&W is doable in your kitchen with only a dark sack, and some Pyrex measuring cups:

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:08 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Medium-Large Format tips

carstenw wrote:
Yes, it is quite similar. I found this list of differences, but I am not sure if some are really differences:

Rolleiflex 6008 Professional (1988-1992) features:

Advanced light metering with SPOT meter.
Metering now with aperture priority or program priority.
Convenient adjustable handgrip.
High definition viewing screen.
Auto bracketing available.
Uses the SCA 3000 TTL flash system rather than the 300-series system.

And the SRC 1000 can use the PQS lenses to 1/1000s.

Rolleiflex 6008i or Integral (1995-?) features:

Fully featured camera.
Instant return mirror with pre-release facility.
Attachable Master Electronic Control unit to allow remote release, and offers additional metering options.
Can disengage film advance for multiple exposures.
Has an optional "silent mode"
...Show more

Yes, no problem! I will work on finding this out as soon as I am able to, and as soon as I read those huge awesome manuals!

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:13 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Medium-Large Format tips

Just charge the battery, set the slider around the shutter speed knob to S, set the shutter speed knob to 1/125 or something, and press the shutter release. After doing that, you should hear the mirror flip up and the shutter go, and then the question is if the mirror returns to the composing position, i.e. can you see out the lens?

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:52 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Medium-Large Format tips

There isn't a lot to the basics of the camera, it operates pretty much like you would expect. Once my battery charges, I will just run through the basics and write it up. The only surprises for first-timers to medium format are things like it won't release if the dark slide is in place (the slider on the back of the film back has to be open, even if there is no film in there).

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:57 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Medium-Large Format tips

carstenw wrote:
There isn't a lot to the basics of the camera, it operates pretty much like you would expect. Once my battery charges, I will just run through the basics and write it up. The only surprises for first-timers to medium format are things like it won't release if the dark slide is in place (the slider on the back of the film back has to be open, even if there is no film in there).

im still trying, so far i kinda skipped reading, but now, i cant figure the handgrip rewinder install, ugh, its manual time! such a fine work of German made quality!! check out that bright matte central split screen!

Untitled by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Edited on Mar 22, 2013 at 06:05 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:28 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Medium-Large Format tips

Handgrip rewinder install? There is no rewinding functionality on the handgrip, if I understand you correctly.

Did your camera come with the grip? This is just a grip for holding the camera. To install it, turn the shutter speed ring to B (bulb), and then twist it a little further, as you insert the grip. It has three positions, which you can set by pressing the little chrome button on the inside of the grip, while turning. The rearmost position is most comfortable unless you are doing something unusual. I shoot without the grip sometimes, it also works fine like that.

Once you have the battery charged, slide the film back slide from the top to the bottom. This is the bar which straddles the rear of the film back. The camera will only release when the film back is open, i.e. the slide is at the bottom. The mode wheel around the shutter speed ring will move more lightly if you press it in slightly while moving it to S (single shot). Then if you have set a manual shutter speed and manual aperture, it should release.

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:43 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Medium-Large Format tips

carstenw wrote:
Handgrip rewinder install? There is no rewinding functionality on the handgrip, if I understand you correctly.

Did your camera come with the grip? This is just a grip for holding the camera. To install it, turn the shutter speed ring to B (bulb), and then twist it a little further, as you insert the grip. It has three positions, which you can set by pressing the little chrome button on the inside of the grip, while turning. The rearmost position is most comfortable unless you are doing something unusual. I shoot without the grip sometimes, it also works fine like that.

Once
...Show more
awesome! thank you!

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:14 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Medium-Large Format tips

i am now trying to install the polaroid film to the back! im rushing to see results!!

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Medium-Large Format tips

Some links, in case you are interested:

http://photo.net/rollei/6008

Flickr Rollei 6008

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/medium.shtml

http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl/webarticle03.htm

http://www.trinidaddreamscape.net/rollei.shtml

http://www.rolleiflexpages.com

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/rollei/rolleiflex_6008_professional

Edited on Mar 22, 2013 at 05:41 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:39 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Medium-Large Format tips

Ha, I don't even have a Polaroid back yet, although I have some film sitting in the fridge

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Medium-Large Format tips

Did you get the camera to shoot yet?

Maybe we should start a "Rolleiflex 6008" thread, and stop trashing this one?

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:41 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Medium-Large Format tips

carstenw wrote:
Did you get the camera to shoot yet?

Maybe we should start a "Rolleiflex 6008" thread, and stop trashing this one?

thats a great idea, lol! no not yet, im still charging it!! the polaroid back came with it, so i bought fuji ahead of time! i also have the 6x6 120 magazin, and the 4.5x6 magazin!

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:55 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Medium-Large Format tips

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
thats a great idea, lol! no not yet, im still charging it!! the polaroid back came with it, so i bought fuji ahead of time! i also have the 6x6 120 magazin, and the 4.5x6 magazin!

i paid severely though! $1800 i may have been duped, but i love it! it came with a very nice peli 1500 hardcase as well!

Mar 22, 2013 at 05:56 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Medium-Large Format tips

carstenw wrote:
Some links, in case you are interested:

http://photo.net/rollei/6008

Flickr Rollei 6008

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/medium.shtml

http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl/webarticle03.htm

http://www.trinidaddreamscape.net/rollei.shtml

http://www.rolleiflexpages.com

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/rollei/rolleiflex_6008_professional

this are my exact bookmarks! thanks carstenw, for everything!

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.