Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:58 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · untitled

Farmology series:-)

In one of my photo classes, we were taught that predators have eyes facing front to aid hunting and non predators have eyes facing outwards for defence. It was said that face views of predators were good, non predators needed side profiles.

Then you have the ear tag and the face is centered. The nose is also sharper than the eye, what would Artie say?.

So much for rules, sometimes breaking the rules works, and it does here.

Not a wall hanger at my house, but for an offbeat subject it is fine.

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:07 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · untitled

Interesting read @ predator vs. non-predator ROT (oh no, not rules again ) ... a nice nugget to tuck away, but I think I'll still consider the hammerhead shark as a predator, and likewise be wary of inciting Mr. Moose & Mr. Bison

Scott, it strikes me a bit strange with the eyes so oof. Given that I doubt it was an "oops" on your part, maybe you could help me a bit with some editorial as to your objectives on this one. I'm kinda somewhere between, "Huh?" and "Hey, that's different" atm.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · untitled

I like the foreground in focus even if the eyes are not as sharp. Large OOF areas in the foreground always bother me.

Also it is relatively easy to sharpen the eyes further. I would zoom in and clean the edges with the clone tool or even a fine tipped paint brush.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · untitled

ben egbert wrote:
Farmology series:-)

In one of my photo classes, we were taught that predators have eyes facing front to aid hunting and non predators have eyes facing outwards for defence. It was said that face views of predators were good, non predators needed side profiles.

Then you have the ear tag and the face is centered. The nose is also sharper than the eye, what would Artie say?.

So much for rules, sometimes breaking the rules works, and it does here.

Not a wall hanger at my house, but for an offbeat subject it is fine.

"Farmology", what a great title. Thinking of grouping some of the poultry and large animal images I have into a new gallery on my website, rather than mixed in with mostly birds. May I take the term?

Interesting re predators. Thanks.
Yes, technical errors. I posted it despite that. Why? Wondering to what degree that is problematic and to what degree the mood wins out. Of course the combo could be better still.
Finally, not a wall hanger at my house either. But you should see what is!!
Thanks for the feedback Ben.

Scott

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · untitled

RustyBug wrote:
Interesting read @ predator vs. non-predator ROT (oh no, not rules again ) ... a nice nugget to tuck away, but I think I'll still consider the hammerhead shark as a predator, and likewise be wary of inciting Mr. Moose & Mr. Bison

Scott, it strikes me a bit strange with the eyes so oof. Given that I doubt it was an "oops" on your part, maybe you could help me a bit with some editorial as to your objectives on this one. I'm kinda somewhere between, "Huh?" and "Hey, that's different" atm.

Well said.
Wish I had more DOF.
But, does the mood, the "Hey that's different" do enough?

Scott
Oh, and originally I was planning to shoot the mouth/snout in focus and the eyes way out but the angle was wrong for that kind of drama.

Edited on Oct 14, 2012 at 03:47 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · untitled

Camperjim wrote:
I like the foreground in focus even if the eyes are not as sharp. Large OOF areas in the foreground always bother me.

Also it is relatively easy to sharpen the eyes further. I would zoom in and clean the edges with the clone tool or even a fine tipped paint brush.

Thanks Jim.
Why not. I'll try to do a bit more edge sharpening/clone cleanup as you suggested.
I almost always do the easy thing first: see how far I get in LR before deciding whether to open up PS.

Scott

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · untitled

sbeme wrote:
"Farmology", what a great title. Thinking of grouping some of the poultry and large animal images I have into a new gallery on my website, rather than mixed in with mostly birds. May I take the term?

Interesting re predators. Thanks.
Yes, technical errors. I posted it despite that. Why? Wondering to what degree that is problematic and to what degree the mood wins out. Of course the combo could be better still.
Finally, not a wall hanger at my house either. But you should see what is!!
Thanks for the feedback Ben.

Scott

You are most welcome to that title.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · untitled

I like it. An appropriate use of symmetry.

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.