Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

sandman22
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

Hey all I want to start off by saying this was alot of firsts for me so things may be a little shaky but I am looking for advice to improve. I coach football so I have actually never shot a game before. This was my first time shooting football and t happened to be at the Gopher game which is the first time at a college event for me. I needed to get some pictures of a player for a magazine I shoot for Weather was not ideal and I was shooting with a 400 5.6 s I needed to shoot at fairly high iso for a day game to stop action when I wasnt using the 70-200. Just letting you know so when you lay into me you may take it a little easier

Thanks

Ben

1- Marquis Gray warmin up

2- Stoudemire

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:20 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

5-8

6-staring him down after a big hit

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:24 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

last ones thanks for looking

9- Heisman to bad OOF?

10- yahoo had an article or something about this play he got hit so hard his M flew off as you can see in the upper right hand corner...

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:30 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

looks like you got some good actions shots, nice set

Oct 14, 2012 at 06:47 AM
dankopp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

I don't think you need to worry about harsh criticism with this set. Great job, especially in the rain.

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:11 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

Some of these could be downsized sharpening issues, but these look soft in many cases, excluding 3 and 11.

Looks like a lot of these photos have high blacks as in the darker areas of your images aren't that dark. Photo 8 is a great example of what looks good.

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:42 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

I don't want this to seem like I'm "laying into" you but none of these look sharp enough to keep. Maybe--emphasize maybe--numbers 3, 5 and 8, but even those look over-processed; there's something that's just not right about them. Sorry.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

I agree with Scott, none look sharp and surely need some proper editing. I want to show you a 30 second adjustment in Photoshop to your last photo and notice the difference. I pinched the levels and hit it with a run through noise ninja.

723913 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

Matt

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM
SpreadHDGFX

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

Could this be an issue of condensation on the lens?

Oct 14, 2012 at 02:55 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

Yes... quite a few of soft to very soft images here and I'm finding the WB a bit off. The timing and action are almost there, but much needed improvement needed on the technicals.

Oct 14, 2012 at 03:21 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

SpreadHDGFX wrote:
Could this be an issue of condensation on the lens?

It was rainy/misty yesterday, though I was out of town at a different game (finally got to watch a game rather than shooting it). I would expect that this was this could be the reason for the blacks not being too black.

Oct 14, 2012 at 03:45 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Picture 8 and 3 were the ones I took before it started misting/raining. It actually came down pretty decent the entire second half. i have nbever shot in rain before so I am sure I was doing things wrong. What are the typical things to do while shooting in rain? How do my shots all of a sudden become more soft again? Was I shooting at to slow of a shutter speed? some were like 1/800 and 1/640 even which is probably to slow for college football? I will be the first to admit I need work in post. I have improved a little since i started 9 months ago, but still have a ways to go. I didn't run any of these through any type of noise reduction. Should I have shot at auto white balance? Thanks for the tips keep em coming!!

Ben

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

sandman22 wrote:
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. Picture 8 and 3 were the ones I took before it started misting/raining. It actually came down pretty decent the entire second half. i have nbever shot in rain before so I am sure I was doing things wrong. What are the typical things to do while shooting in rain? How do my shots all of a sudden become more soft again? Was I shooting at to slow of a shutter speed? some were like 1/800 and 1/640 even which is probably to slow for college football? I will be the first to admit
...Show more
Don't worry, you weren't the only one shooting at high ISO. At the game I was at, here is the exif from one of the shots taken (this was a little later in the day, after 1).

1/1250 at ƒ/2.8; 3200; f=400 mm. This is the equivalent of 1/640th at ƒ/2.8 and ISO 1600, which for outside is pretty dim.

Also take a look at the Strib Galleries take at the same time. Probably no Exif though.
http://www.startribune.com/galleries/174050591.html
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/174043681.html

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM
SpreadHDGFX

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

Do you guys know of any way to prevent condensation on a lens? I know for swimming, to prevent that, we would rub toothpaste on the inside of our goggles, but I'm about 90% sure you wouldn't want to attempt it with your lens.

Any suggestions?

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:41 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gophers vs. Northwestern

SpreadHDGFX wrote:
Do you guys know of any way to prevent condensation on a lens? I know for swimming, to prevent that, we would rub toothpaste on the inside of our goggles, but I'm about 90% sure you wouldn't want to attempt it with your lens.

Any suggestions?

About the only thing I can think of is to not make a very abrupt transition from inside to outside.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.