Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tattered curtains

Oregon Gal
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tattered curtains

What works or doesn't work in this image. I am thinking about a conversion to B/W. Thanks Barbara

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:00 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tattered curtains

Lots of interesting textures and the bunk beds with tattered curtains certainly evokes a mood, some story, perhaps sadly toned reminiscing.
I'd crop out or darken the bright whitish band along the bottom. Maybe window sill or light from there? Distracts.
My style would be to play with a fuller tonal range with a truer but that would change the mood and may not be your goal.
I am torn about the foggy, dirty window thing. While part of the mood, it stops me at the panes rather than drawing me through, behind the window into the scene beyond.
I think BW is an option, as is a low sat color, as you have.
Interested to see what reworks you come up with.
Want some from others?
Scott

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:13 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tattered curtains

Thanks Scott, I am always open to re-works.

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tattered curtains

More of a Halloween-theme?

Bob

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tattered curtains

Hi Barbara.

Long time no see!

Two areas vying for attention, the ladder back chair and the torn curtain, lower left side. Did quick crop, cleanup and toning. One way to go.

Bert

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:56 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tattered curtains

I like Bob's B & W treatment and Bert's comment is spot on. My suggestion is Bob't approach with selective changes to darken the chair to reduce it's presence to become part of the negative space:

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tattered curtains

I think I like the original image better than the halloween theme.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tattered curtains

Bob, I like your dark side rendition.

Bert, How are you, looks really nice with the toning.

AuntiPode, I agree with your comments and the re-works have given me ideas which I hadn't thought of.

Camperjim, we both like a simple style that rings true to what our eyes see but I would like to branch out processing wise so the re-works are appealing.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions, I will apply them to the image. Barbara

Oct 14, 2012 at 04:19 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tattered curtains

Hey Barb, glad to see you're back in gear.

I took a stab at it.

The colors might be a bit much for some tastes, but I tried to find the colors that revealed the dinginess of the curtains. Seeing them all "white" seemed to be contradictory to "torn & tattered". I'm imagining them being illuminated with direct sunlight, at a warmer time of day (if I'm reading the light right) ... and the yellowing that can occur from the sun's intensity.

I gave up a bit of the left side of the chair's detail (by choice). I liked seeing more detail in the chair (readily available), but whenever I included more chair detail, it "stole" from the curtains (see Karen's comment @ negative space) and gave my eye competing details to look at, so I opted for the curtains vs. the chair. Similarly, I cropped out the sill and left side, to try and reduce being pulled away away by their competing tonal values, i.e. drawing me away from the main attraction.

Kinda seems like another capture of mundane details just calling for someone to capture them. Those kind of captures seems to originate in the inexplicable visceral, then the challenge of emoting that to others begins.

Diggin' the find.

Edited on Oct 14, 2012 at 03:00 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2012 at 04:59 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tattered curtains

I like Kents rendering. This is sort of like my clear glass window style. I like clean windows.

Oct 14, 2012 at 02:09 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tattered curtains

Oregon Gal wrote:
Bob, I like your dark side rendition.

Camperjim, we both like a simple style that rings true to what our eyes see but I would like to branch out processing wise so the re-works are appealing.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions, I will apply them to the image. Barbara

Thanks Barbara,

Re branching out - agreed.

Bob

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tattered curtains

Kent I like your rendition but I think to keep with the look of tattered curtains that the sharpness should be backed down some. Of course I am one to talk since I the curtains on my original is a tad over sharp

Thanks Bob, you have taken your processing down a new road and I am liking what you are doing.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:55 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password