Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Best Settings for Soccer on a 1Dx

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best Settings for Soccer on a 1Dx

I've been playing around with the auto focus settings on a 1Dx trying to find the right one to shoot kids soccer games. I usually shoot center focus with no expanded points and either setting #3, or #5. I'm not to happy with either one. I leave all the setting at the default levels. Usually shoot at ISO 400 f6.3 in Av mode. I have no problems freezing the subjects during the game, however auto focus seems to miss the target sometimes. I am also shooting with a 28-300mm L.

Oct 13, 2012 at 07:25 PM
rantonishak
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Best Settings for Soccer on a 1Dx

Below is a link from "one of the best" sport shooters...... He shares his experience (and settings) about using his 1Dx.. And, believe me... He is one of THE best..

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news_story.html?id=2678

I hope others will share their 1Dx settings as well...

Sincerely,
Randal

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:19 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #3 · Best Settings for Soccer on a 1Dx

Thanks, Randal, I'll have to look.

Oct 13, 2012 at 09:22 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Best Settings for Soccer on a 1Dx

Here is what I'm using (1DX) when shooting soccer:
- Case 4 but slowed the tracking down one notch
- Tried both 4pt and 8pt surrounding the selected AF point, finding the 8 pt works better

Since the shooting goes from late afternoon and on into the evening, I've been experimenting with the following:

In settings, force the min / max aperture range between 2.8 & 4.0
Set mode to Tv, and pick a SS that will not significantly over expose if ISO 100 is used
Set Auto ISO

The Tv Auto ISO setup keeps the shutter speed where I want it, allows me to bump the EV when necessary and not have to continually check for waning light that requires the ISO to be repeatedly bumped in order to maintain high SS. You can also preset one of the 3 user definable Custom Shooting modes with this group of settings.

Some results can be found here: http://avonsoccer.com

Matt

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wcj0
• •
p.1 #5 · Best Settings for Soccer on a 1Dx

schlotz, thank you for your reply. tried to go on your website, but my virus program wouldn't allow it.

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:29 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Best Settings for Soccer on a 1Dx

wcj0 wrote:
schlotz, thank you for your reply. tried to go on your website, but my virus program wouldn't allow it.

I was able to view the site, but I immediately got a "malicious attack" warning from Norton utilities.

I would advise that other not attempt to view the soccer pictures on the site until we hear from the site's owner.

From Norton:

"Network traffic from <b>cetu36rning.rr.nu/nl.php?p=d</b> matches the signature of a known attack. "

"High,An intrusion attempt was blocked. Blocked,No Action Required,

Web Attack: Malicious Toolkit Website 25

cetu36rning.rr.nu (93.113.196.115, 80),"TCP, Port 49579"

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:47 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Best Settings for Soccer on a 1Dx

wcj0 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Site is continually tested, and is free of problems. Most likely its something in the config of the virus app being used. Just tested here from work (our IT really has things locked down) and it comes up fine.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password