Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My Favorite Butte

Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Favorite Butte

I have lots and lots of images of this butte. The butte is pretty spectacular but most of my images are pretty ordinary. Here is an example of an image which seems a bit better than ordinary. I tried some dodge and burn to enhance the appearance of the oncoming sandstorm. Any other suggestions to make this work better?

Oct 13, 2012 at 07:01 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Favorite Butte

I know that Butte. I really like the sandstorm here. The place looks forbidding. Where are the skulls:-)

Oct 13, 2012 at 07:05 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Favorite Butte

Camperjim, the processing looks good. Have you tried lightening the foreground and boosting the saturation. Minor subtle improvements.

Oct 13, 2012 at 07:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Favorite Butte

I quite like many elements of this image, but the visual balance of the composition seems off.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Favorite Butte

AuntiPode wrote:
I quite like many elements of this image, but the visual balance of the composition seems off.

I agree. I thought about cropping off a substantial amount off the left side, but that tends to center the butte and still leaves a large amount of blue sky that seems not to fit with the rest of the image.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Favorite Butte

Morning or evening light might be nice here.

You could go for an instagram kind of look. It may be a bit over done, but it can sometimes help if the light isn't very interesting.

Oct 16, 2012 at 06:11 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Favorite Butte

What I like about this is the light that best shows the colors of the butte, golden light often turns everything red. I also like the weathered tailings away from it. The clear blue sky with some nice clouds in juxtaposition with the dust storm also make it. It all says desolate, dry, desert.

I love the desert, what old hermit wouldn't? I like the image as is. Of course I don't give a rip about if its centered or static if it even is centered or static whatever that means.

Its boring to those who don't like such places to begin with.

Edit: To clarify, I liked Jims first presentation best because it most clearly conveys what it was like to be there and I have been there.

Edited on Oct 16, 2012 at 05:19 PM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2012 at 02:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Favorite Butte

Took a stab with a slight crop to rebalance/direct.

Pulled out some midtone blue to neutralized the dust storm, some selective sharpening/contrast/gamma to the butte, lesser so to other areas.

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password