Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need Wedding advice

ASKreager

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Need Wedding advice

I am a very good studio and location photographer that sometimes does low key events. I am NOT a wedding photographer and would not currently charge people big bucks to do their wedding. I have all the skill/knowledge, but not the experience of thinking quick. I am afraid I would miss some key shots.

That said, I have been asked by some friends who do not have the $ to pay an accomplished pro to do their wedding. I have explained the deal to them, and their answere is I will be way better than the bargin/cheap ones they would hire so just do my best. I still have not fully agreed. I am trying to get a guy I know who is good to do with me in exchange for letting him shoot in my studio and doing some PP for him. If that does not work out, I suppose I will do the job.

since I have been concentrating on portraits and commercial work, I got rid of my 24-70 and 70-200. I just have primes up thru 135 and the 24-120 VRII. I am thinking the 24-120 on the D4 with an sb900 and Demb Big Flipit will do a pretty good job for the reception. the D4 is a monster though and with the 900 and Flipit can be intimidating to many for the candids I think.

So I am thing of using a couple OLY OMDs with primes and the smaller FL600Rs with Flipits. I could put the 12 (eq to 24) with flash on one body and 25 ( eq to 50) with flash on the other and also have the 45 (eq to 90) and 75 (eq to 150) in the bag too.

I have not used the OMDs for pro work yet, but have used them extensively for high quality captures of family and friends in many different situations. they have performed quite well.

Any thoughts.

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:38 PM
jbrandt378
• •
p.1 #2 · Need Wedding advice

Your post doesn't sound like you really want to shoot the wedding. Do you? If so and you say you are a good studio and location photographer, you should do OK job for your friend. If you don't see yourself shooting weddings down the road, then I would say give it to someone else. You are right in that if you can't think and act fast you will absolutely miss something at the wedding.

In the end it is your call if you want to put your both personal and business name out there with what you are going to deliver.

If you do decide to shoot, let us know.

Oct 13, 2012 at 06:13 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Need Wedding advice

The D4 is not a monster. It's a Beast that won the heart of Belle. Many of us use the D4 with an SB-900 or 910, and I also use the flip-it. It's not intimidating. Most reception guests don't really pay attention to the size of your camera and wouldn't know the difference between a D4 and a 5D.

If your friends aren't concerned about you missing key shots, then you'll probably do a nice job for them. But shooting weddings is considerably different from shooting portraits in a studio. For one, when you shoot the family portraits immediately after the ceremony, and the bridal group portraits at a park or wherever, you have to be seriously fast to get the best shots in the little time you have before the reception. That's just one place where experience really kicks in.

Good luck.

Oct 13, 2012 at 07:43 PM
ASKreager

p.1 #4 · Need Wedding advice

Yeah- I do not know why I thought the D4 would be a problem. It is not for my portrait work, so....

Also, If I am worried about missing shots, I should for sure use the camera I was most familiar with, and that is the Nikon stuff - especially the flashes and Pocket Wizard TTL triggers.

You hit the nail on the head - My concern is the need to be seriously fast. I think I have found a good partner/assistant that has about the same level of experience I do. Together I think we can do it. I will just make sure to think it thru real good, scout the locations completely, make a checklist of all the shots I need to get, and shot raw plus jpeg.

I also have to realize that every shot is not going to be a magazine spread or a billboard.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Need Wedding advice

do you want to continue to shoot weddings? the d4 is fine for weddings... hell it might even be to much. We shoot 3 d3's and that is more than enough camera. People will make comments about "oh your camera is huge" but who cares you know.

The real thing to be worried about is just now knowing the flow of events and the day. After shooting weddings for years and years you have a specific style that you shoot in which means you can consistently deliver the shots people want because you are used to shooting those shots. For a newb it can be a daunting task to know that the bride is only coming down the isle one time with no redos....

If you set the correct expectations with the people who are getting married you should be fine.

Oct 14, 2012 at 04:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

spink
• • •
p.1 #6 · Need Wedding advice

To be honest, I think you're over thinking it.

Doug (hardlyboring) nailed it. I think your main focus item will be the flow of the day and your time management. I would spend some time reading about that, or asking more details. Do you have any wedding photographers in your photographer network you can ask? You will get much more out of a one-on-one with a vet than from a forum. I would offer, but I have poor hours.

If the B&G have no budget and you're a seasoned photographer I would say you're the best person for the job. I'm sure you'll be fine. I would stick to using the gear your the most comfortable with (speed).

Spencer

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:22 AM
ASKreager

p.1 #7 · Need Wedding advice

Yeah. I have been thinking about it and it is not like I am never pressed for time. It happens all the time. I suggest a certain start time, location, and length of time for the shoot and the client says no I can only do it at this time and place and only have a few minutes. I manage and for years now have not had to re-shoot. I guess the difference that has been stressing me out is I can always re-shoot. a wedding you can not.

And for sure the decision is my Nikon gear since I have been a Nikon guy now for over two decades. do not know what I was thinking re the u4/3 angle.

I thought I had found a solution where I was going to shoot the wedding with a local wedding pro and give him studio time and PP in exchange, but that kind of fell through. someone offered him a huge job on same weekend. after spending about an hour with hm asking me questions and giving me advice, we both agreed I would be fine. and bonus, there are 2-1/2 months til the event and he is going to let me shoot with him at several weddings so I can get some practice under my belt.

I am now kind of excited.I will let you guys know how it turns out and maybe post a few.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:58 PM
spink
• • •
p.1 #8 · Need Wedding advice

Sounds like you got 'er dialed. Nice!

Oct 15, 2012 at 05:53 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #9 · Need Wedding advice

Yes, agree that you should stick with the stuff you know (Nikon)
- no-one will really take much notice of the size of your camera, and I think your focus should be on nailing the B&G and wedding party shots rather than going over-the-top with candids anyway
- the 'location' shots will be the ones that get printed big

For the family portraits, see if you can line up a loud and bossy family member to find the required people and have the next one queued up while you do the shooting

Sounds like you're good to go!

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:45 AM
ASKreager

p.1 #10 · Need Wedding advice

Great advice re the loud and bossy one. most families have one. And thanks to all for the support.

Oct 17, 2012 at 03:14 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password